Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-04-2014, 06:48 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Scott Kelby LR4 vs LR5 - big difference?

I know there are quite a few Scott Kelby readers in here, so hopefully someone knows the series well enough to have an opinion on this:

My husband got me LR5 for my birthday last year. I am very happy: Up until now I have used open access software, and I still use GIMP for heavy editing, but for developing my raw files, LR5 was a huge leap forward.

I am sure I am not getting the most out of the program though, and so I put Scott Kelby's book on LR5 on my Christmas wish list. My brother, who usually buys very random presents, actually looked at my wish list this year, and got me - almost the right thing. SK's book on LR4.

Since I only know lightroom from the newest version, and I do not know Scott Kelby at all, I am not sure how serious this is. True to my brother, he forgot the book at home, and only got around to sending it to me last week, so I doubt it is returnable - and anyway I don't really want to return a gift. But I could still get the book on LR5 for myself - I planned to do that anyway if I didn't get it for Christmas.

Does anyone know how big the rearrangments / innovations / etc were between LR4 and LR5? And how about the books, are the changes from the LR4 book to the LR5 book mostly edition updates, or is it a genuinely new book?

Thanks for any input!

02-04-2014, 07:01 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
In my opinion very minor innovations (at least cosmetic). The algorithms are Def improved however you don't need a book for that. Honestly, the biggest change was between LR 3 and 4 when all the sliders got renamed.
02-04-2014, 08:06 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There are some nice additions, but the fundamental adjustments are the same, and those are the ones that are the most critical and would be covered in the LR4 book. You can youtube the new features, but I think that the differences can be pretty easily to get a handle on just by googling them and watching a video or two.
02-04-2014, 08:35 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The biggest change in LR5 were a couple new features that while useful are more advanced and have little to do with learning basic LR. Just go with the LR4 book and when you think you have that covered look at the Adobe site for the what's new videos.

02-04-2014, 12:11 PM   #5

Photos: Albums
I have SK's book on LR5, but I never had his book on LR4, and I never had LR4, just got LR5 around Christmas but not for Christmas. I can't speak to the differences, but the book's only $30? I might sell the LR4 back to wherever and get the LR5 book. But that's just me, and I'm kinda picky about stuff matching. That is, if I had SK's LR4 book but I had LR5, I'd always be wondering about the differences; thus, I would obsess about the differences; thus, it would simply be easier for me to but SK's LR5 book than to think so much about it. But that's just me.
02-04-2014, 12:53 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks everyone! And tele_pathic, I guess I would just get the other book like you suggest, except that this was a present from my brother, and I am not too happy returning or reselling presents. I wanted the book mostly to improve my workflow - and if most changes between 4 and 5 are minor, I expect it will still be able to do that.
02-05-2014, 07:11 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

90% of the two are the same. All the basics are the same. When you want to learn about the other features, google 'what's new in Lightroom 5'. The new functionality is really good, but straight forward and pretty easy to get a handle on when you've seen a video or two.

02-11-2014, 11:22 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

There are a few new features in LR 5 but most of the LR 4 book will apply.
This site will cover most of the differences and have a lot of great info. Lightroom Killer Tips | Lightroom Presets, Videos, Tips and News