Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2014, 09:49 PM   #1

Fog Camera Settings

So I plan on waking up in a couple of hours to shoot some fog photos my only problem is I suck shooting in low light and when I do try to take pictures of fog or in low light they always come out fuzzy! So I usually stray from low light photography but I have this fabulous idea in mind and there is suppose to be fog in the morning! I have a Pentax k-5 and I was wondering what the settings should be! Thanks!

02-04-2014, 09:50 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Do you have a tripod or monopod?
02-04-2014, 09:55 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Marty333 Quote
So I plan on waking up in a couple of hours to shoot some fog photos my only problem is I suck shooting in low light and when I do try to take pictures of fog or in low light they always come out fuzzy! So I usually stray from low light photography but I have this fabulous idea in mind and there is suppose to be fog in the morning! I have a Pentax k-5 and I was wondering what the settings should be! Thanks!
The biggest thing is a tripod and a remote shutter release. if you dont have a shutter release another technique is to use the 2 second timer.
02-04-2014, 09:59 PM   #4

Original Poster
Yes I have a tripod and I also have a remote shutter release and if it helps any this is going to be a self portrait shoot

02-04-2014, 09:59 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Fog tends to screw with autofocus. Try using manual and select a focus point 1/3 of the way into your scene. As suggested above, use a tripod and either remote release or the self-timer. After the shot, you will probably need to punch up contrast and a little saturation in postprocessing. If you don't do much post, try upping those values in camera. If it is pretty dark, you will need to raise ISO too.
02-04-2014, 10:03 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Anything that keeps you camera more steady helps, you try to find places to rest your camera on.

These might be useful:
Reducing Camera Shake with Hand-Held Photos
How to Reduce Camera Shake - 6 Techniques - Digital Photography School
02-04-2014, 10:09 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Yes I have a tripod and I also have a remote shutter release and if it helps any this is going to be a self portrait shoot
In that case, you need to find a shutter speed that's short enough to freeze your motion, you could try it a home. When you set up the camera you could put something (i.e. a light stand) where your face will be to pre-focus on, open up the aperture as far as possible (the wider the aperture, the closer you need to be to were the lens is focused on) and chose a shutter speed that know will work (depends on how still you can stand/sit).

regards
Jan

02-04-2014, 10:18 PM   #8

Original Poster
Okay! Thank you guys for the help so far! Oh and Jan most of my family lives in Bremen and I will be visiting there next year!
02-04-2014, 10:25 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Okay! Thank you guys for the help so far! Oh and Jan most of my family lives in Bremen and I will be visiting there next year!
I moved here to study, I think I'm still a Hamburger a heart...
Bring an umbrella and a WR lens!
02-04-2014, 10:36 PM   #10
Veteran Member

... and don't forget to post the result here, I'd be interested in fog pictures!
02-05-2014, 03:01 AM   #11
Veteran Member

With fog its great if you find some interesting shapes, like buildings, so the background isn't just a uniform grey, but that it maybe has silhouettes, streetlamps
02-05-2014, 05:32 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Fog is also a great time to shoot scenes that might otherwise have distracting elements in the background. It can help build artificial depth to a pic because it makes the background fade off faster than normal.
02-05-2014, 10:29 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Thanks for these tips, I also want to give this a try this because the foggy season is coming up. My biggest challenge though will be trying to wake up and operate because I am not a morning person.
02-05-2014, 11:34 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikemike Quote
Thanks for these tips, I also want to give this a try this because the foggy season is coming up. My biggest challenge though will be trying to wake up and operate because I am not a morning person.
When you get some great pictures you'll be a morning person. As the guys mentioned, the solid tripod is first thing to success. And finding the right spot, with some source of light, sun, street lamps and so on. With that elements you can take more interesting and dramatic shots, but also assure better results in PP. Oh, one more thing, get a lot of coffee.
02-05-2014, 11:34 AM   #15

Original Poster
Hey guys thank you so much!!! I definitely am feeling more confident! I have an abandoned golf course behind my house so I was going to use that! And sadly there was no fog this morning! So I'll try again tomorrow!