Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2014, 08:58 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
holding still ...

Hi,

Just received my new Pentax MX-1 and am very pleased with it. However, it is my first type of camera without an optical viewfinder and I'm wondering if anyone can share a good technique to hold the camera steady while composing and taking an image while using the LCD screen. Holding the camera out in front of me seems weak - any tricks out there ?

Thanks

02-10-2014, 09:58 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A table top tripod, or a fence rail, or a picnic table, or a rock. Your problem is exactly why my wife bought an X-5 rather than a point and shoot.

If you have no support near you, turn your body so that your shoulder is facing toward the subject and brace the arm with the camera with the other braced against your body. To avoid the shake when releasing the shutter, or at least reducing it, put the pad of your shutter finger on the camera so that the first joint is over the shutter release and roll your finger to release the shutter.

If you want the camera closer to you, and you don't already wear glasses or you wear contact lenses, drop into the dollar store and buy a cheap pair of reading glasses. the strength you want allows you to hold the camera with your elbow braced against your body. Start looking at the +2.5 pair. That is about 16 inches focal length. (0.4 m)

Last edited by Canada_Rockies; 02-10-2014 at 09:59 AM. Reason: I'm a lousy typist
02-11-2014, 06:25 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Hold the camera in both arms, with the elbows pressed against your chest, body straight, the rest is stuff you know.
02-16-2014, 05:30 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yeah, as bdery said. Its a small camera without OVF, so you can't hold it against your face. You probably want to hold your left hand underneath and use the right hand to press the trigger. Keep your arms braced against your body, and the camera relatively near your face.
Or use higher shutter speeds, tripod lol that's what I end up doing

02-17-2014, 11:24 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Lean against a wall or a tree or something very stable. Increase the shutter speed if possible.
02-20-2014, 01:39 PM   #6
Pentaxian

With my K-01, I brace it by looping the strap behind my elbow, which I then press up against my body