Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2014, 05:54 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Phantasmagoria help

Hey guys. I'm thinking of doing a quick little photography project, which would combine the city and the technique of phantasmagoria. So, to put it in simple terms, I would be in the city at night, projecting shadows onto buildings. This would give the city a spooky vibe

The problem is that I have no idea how to get this started and can't really find any sensible tutorials online. Does anyone have experiences with this?

I'm sure this would involve making cutouts of the shapes I want to project (it would be spooky shapes, like skeletons, vampires. Ideas about this would also be appreciated). But I'm not sure if I would be better off using some sort of constant light or flashes? Do I need an extra strong light for this? And how big would the cutout have to be?

I might also try to add a model or two to the frame. But that just adds a whole layer of complexity..

Anyway, any ideas or experiences are appreciated. Btw I am planning on using the Samyang 14mm for this, hoping the wide angle will let me capture more light (I can get closer to the walls) and the wide angle might make the whole scene even more unnatural

02-17-2014, 05:58 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Have you thought about remote flash control and putting the flash behind you then firing?

I think something like the cactus v5 would be perfect for this.
02-17-2014, 06:03 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm hoping to make shapes that look weirder than regular people's shadows, so I think I will have to make cutouts and place them right in front of the light source
02-17-2014, 06:06 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I'm hoping to make shapes that look weirder than regular people's shadows, so I think I will have to make cutouts and place them right in front of the light source

Oh ok, You might also want to add a soft box on the flash. I have never done it so i would have to play with flash distance from object, but if i were to give it a try that would be how i do it.

02-17-2014, 07:14 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Here's a link that shows you how to use an old film camera as a projector of sorts.

Convert Your Old Camera To A Backdrop Projector In 10 Easy Steps | DIYPhotography.net

The benefit here is that you can focus the lens in order to control the focus of the projected image. Kinda cool.

In this post, it shows how a photographer is using the flash as a slave to fire when another flash is detected; however, you could just as easily use radio triggers or a sync cable.

Strobist: And Now, a Few Words From the Tourist Standing Next to You
(the video shows an example of it working after 2:00)

That's all the knowledge I have on the subject.
02-17-2014, 10:31 PM   #6
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Try a battery powered spotlight and figurines. Or a nice remotely triggered flash and figurines. You should be able to get some horror themed ones or ones from video games cheaply, and if they are close enough to the light source that would work.
02-18-2014, 06:38 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Unfortunately, we just had a snowstorm here so the plan to do this in the city this week is falling apart. Too much snow and ice. Now I am thinking about adding the shadows in photoshop to photos I already took back when the weather was good.

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
Try a battery powered spotlight and figurines.
Yes, I think this will be the way to go. A spotlight so I can place the shadows more easily and figurines or cardboard cutouts.

QuoteOriginally posted by Gerbermiester Quote
Here's a link that shows you how to use an old film camera as a projector of sorts.

Convert Your Old Camera To A Backdrop Projector In 10 Easy Steps | DIYPhotography.net

The benefit here is that you can focus the lens in order to control the focus of the projected image. Kinda cool.

In this post, it shows how a photographer is using the flash as a slave to fire when another flash is detected; however, you could just as easily use radio triggers or a sync cable.

Strobist: And Now, a Few Words From the Tourist Standing Next to You
(the video shows an example of it working after 2:00)

That's all the knowledge I have on the subject.
Wow, very cool! Thanks for sharing this interesting technique. It fits the bill and would help with the focusing/definition of shadows

02-18-2014, 07:00 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I forgot that I am really terrible at photoshop, so I will be making the cutouts tomorrow