Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2008, 09:22 PM   #1
Damn Brit

Backdrop purchase and something amusing.

Hi All, Just wanted to share this with you, this company deserves to be supported. Last Thursday evening I placed an order with Epicbackdrops.com. I received it Tuesday, NY to CA with a weekend in between. $129.99 for double sided muslin 10'x20' with free shipping. Pretty impressive but here's the kicker; Inside the box I also found a handwritten thank you note. That really impressed me, I haven't experienced that before. I'm usually happy if my order gets to me in one piece. Now for the amusing part of my post; I still haven't worked out what it is about RiceHigh yet and why people have a problem with him. Anyhow, I checked out his blog and his Camera tests. He's way over my head. He uses the word MEASUREBATION a lot, I didn't know what the word meant (can anyone enlighten me?). I went to Dictionary.com and typed in the word. I fell off my seat when I got the response: No results found for measurebation do you mean masturbation?

04-15-2008, 09:59 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm in the market for backgrounds too... that looks like a great alternative. I get mine from Denny's Manufacturing... I have to check out epicbackdrops.com...

As for ricehigh... no comment...I think he means well, however... just read at other people's opinions of him...
04-16-2008, 06:52 AM   #3
Forum Member

I recently received a Denny's catalog. Nice!
Wouldn't mind being their stock photographer!
04-17-2008, 04:33 AM   #4

Epic Backdrops is the real deal!

Hey all. I just wanted to throw my two cents in too. I've had the priveledge of using Epic Backdrops as well and I completely agree that this company should be supported. Fair prices with a quality product and there tag line is right on. I think it's something like "where customer service really comes first" or something like that. There double sided backdrops are great! And ya know, there aren't many companies that focus on customer service anymore and this is one of the few remaining, so they deserve our support.

But, hey, just my two cents!

04-17-2008, 07:53 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
He uses the word MEASUREBATION a lot, I didn't know what the word meant (can anyone enlighten me?).
Seven Levels of Photographers © 2005 KenRockwell.com

The whole thing is a good read, but Level 1 is what you are looking for.
04-17-2008, 01:22 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I'm curious with 2 questions.

What does double-sided mean - is the colour the same on both sides?
How do you keep the muslin wrinkle-free if you're travelling off-site?
04-17-2008, 01:31 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JCSullivan Quote

1. The pattern is on both sides.

2. Muslins aren't meant to be folded up. The wrinkled look is preferred by most photographers. Just bunch it up and throw it into a bag or box during transportation. To de-wrinkle (if desired), hang the backdrop up and spray on water with a mister.

04-17-2008, 02:36 PM   #8
Damn Brit

Update: Discount available.

I wrote a thank you email to Epic Backdrops (apparently they usually send an email to customers asking them for comments but I beat them to it). As a result of this email Epic Backdrops have offered a further 10% discount to any forum members who include the code "RPSN5136" in the comments section of the order form.
04-17-2008, 03:47 PM   #9

Double Sided Muslin

QuoteOriginally posted by JCSullivan Quote

Hi JC,
Not sure if this is true for all backdrop manufacturers but with the one's I have from epicbackdrops.com one side is a deep color with a lighter tone of the same color on the opposite side. Great for versatility. Here's a link. I think I paid about $130 for each 10x20, free shipping. Not bad for two backdrops in one.

[URL="http://http://www.epicbackdrops.com/handdyed.html"]

Scroll down to "Double Sided"

Good luck.

Steven
04-17-2008, 09:07 PM   #10

Shipping to Canada

Just thought I'd pass this on in case any of my countrymen were interested.

After seeing this thread, I went to Epics site, and I quite liked the muslins they have to offer, especially considering the price. Looked for Canadian shipping info, couldn't find it. Emailed the company, and got a response from Geoff less than 30 minutes later. Shipping to Canada for a single muslin was quoted at apx. $25 US plus customs/duty. And even though I didn't ask about it, Geoff said that they would honor the PentaxForums discount for Canadians as well.

Seems like a good company to deal with.
04-18-2008, 06:32 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Thanks for replying to my questions
The discount for PF
The info regarding the Canuck side of things.

Taslking about customer service, this forum is second to none.