Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2008, 05:58 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Printing: Matte vs. Glossy

I printed out 5 of my photos glossy to put on my desk at work, well hand actually, but the dungeonesque environment that I work in is littered with flourescent lighting and gets a glare/reflection from it so you can't even see the details properly.

So my question is, do most of you print in matte, or does it depend on the image or where it is going to be used?

04-16-2008, 06:35 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Budda,
I use only Ilford Smooth Pearl paper. It is a matt type paper and doesn't show the glare from the room lights nearly as bad as glossey paper. Also doesn't show finger prints if someone touches the print accidentally (usually me). My printer is an old epson 1280 but it does a real nice job.
04-16-2008, 06:51 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, I got mine done at Ritz, I think I will try and do some in their matte format to see what kind of results I get.
04-16-2008, 07:09 AM   #4

I do my small pics as gloss, but the 8x10s that get hung are done as matte. I actually dry mount them myself on foamcore and hang them on the wall in the office.

04-16-2008, 07:29 AM   #5
Veteran Member

My favorite also. Buddha, Ritz does offer a similar surface, ask to see their demo prints.
04-17-2008, 05:25 PM   #6
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Romoman Quote
I do my small pics as gloss, but the 8x10s that get hung are done as matte. I actually dry mount them myself on foamcore and hang them on the wall in the office.
Matt, what are you using to glue the photo to the foamacore backing? Any tips or tricks to it?
04-17-2008, 07:37 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Matt, what are you using to glue the photo to the foamacore backing? Any tips or tricks to it?
I use 3M Photo Mount Spray Adhesive. My process is this - I take the print and mark the edges on the black foam core becuase the prints often seem to be slighly different than exactly 8 x 10. Then, using a large T square and a matte cutter, I cut the foam core to size. Then, using a smaller T square I cut a little rectangle 1" down from the top and centered on the other dimension, I then pick out some of the foam core so that I can use that as a hanging spot (they are always 1" down so that they are easy to hang straight with others). Then I spray the back of the picture with the adhesive and let it set up for about 45 seconds. Carefully position one side of the photo on the foam core so it's square while not letting the rest of the photo touch. Once you're happy with the alignment, I let the rest of the photo down and use a roller (or dowel) starting center and working to the edges to push air out.

It took me more time to write all this than actually do it!
04-17-2008, 08:27 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I print all my stuff on glossy- it just seems to show more detail and give a little more 'umph' to the picture. If I'm doing portraiture, I'll usually do Matte (Luster at Ritz). I used to work for ritz and where we were we got Fuji CAS Premium 2 paper for our 6" size. Boy that is some sweet stuff. Just wish they'd given us the Premium for 8" and 12" as well.

04-18-2008, 03:22 AM   #9
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Romoman Quote
I use 3M Photo Mount Spray Adhesive. My process is this - I take the print and mark the edges on the black foam core becuase the prints often seem to be slighly different than exactly 8 x 10. Then, using a large T square and a matte cutter, I cut the foam core to size. Then, using a smaller T square I cut a little rectangle 1" down from the top and centered on the other dimension, I then pick out some of the foam core so that I can use that as a hanging spot (they are always 1" down so that they are easy to hang straight with others). Then I spray the back of the picture with the adhesive and let it set up for about 45 seconds. Carefully position one side of the photo on the foam core so it's square while not letting the rest of the photo touch. Once you're happy with the alignment, I let the rest of the photo down and use a roller (or dowel) starting center and working to the edges to push air out.

It took me more time to write all this than actually do it!
Thanks for the quick tutorial. It sounds as I expected, just wasn't sure what glue would be best and if it would cause the image to curl when drying.
04-18-2008, 06:37 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I literally only just started printing at home on my new epson 1400, and I grabbed some low cost staples matte paper--and while I am impressed that the photos look decent (because I printed a bout an 8x10 collage of my kids, and it was less than a mb when completed, i expected it to look really bad)

however, I don't think this was the best or even an average matte paper to use, so i need to find some better examples of matte, i think. otherwise, since glossy is what i am used to, i will probably go that route.

i want to have some prints on canvas if i ever get good enough, but i dont think the 1400 can handle that, and i'd probably farm it out to someone with experience anyways
04-18-2008, 10:55 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Generally glossy. Gives deeper blacks - the diffuse surface of matte paper tends to grey 'em out a bit. Plus the "dimpled" effect isn't the most pleasing.
04-18-2008, 12:20 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I recently asked a similar question as I want to frame a 30x20inch shot. General consensus was that there would be too much reflection from a glossy print & Matt was the way to go

simon
04-18-2008, 05:23 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Glossy or luster/pearl, depending on the depths of the blacks in the photo. I rarely print on matte papers, as I use Epson dye printers rather than pigment ones, and the dyes just die on matte papers!
04-22-2008, 04:15 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I haven't tried printing off in matte ... may be tempted in the near future to compare though.
I'd be getting it done through my local camera store though ... the owner is a very knowledgable fellow ... and has been great when it comes to advice as well.
04-22-2008, 06:38 AM   #15
Inactive Account

As glossy is more popular around here, printing places - consumer ones, anyway - tend to charge a slight premium for it, ostensibly as they've gotta change the whole paper tray out of the machine.

Once, though, when I had a an assignment for uni, I got everything printed out on Kodak Supra Endura Metallic - a helluva great paper - one print at 20"x30" and the rest at about A3 size, and I included film white cotton gloves in the folio, with STRICT instructions that they be used.

Bloody aced that class. Sevens all round.