Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2014, 07:02 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
I think your FA77 may be your only realistic option here on Pentax. At least if they are moving toward you, you can eventually get the framing you want, even with a prime.

I assume you mean in AF lock time?

That's what sucks about it.... I have all this great gear, but compromises need to be made for shooting sports with either system in my current setup. If I knew I was going to be hired to shoot for a cycling magazine I woulda bought a used D3X instead of the D800 :P

Too bad nothing on pentax is fast enough focusing.... Yet

02-24-2014, 07:06 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The problem I have had with AF and cycling shots is confusion between the members of the peloton and the relatively stationary background. I tend to turn the AF off and fall back on the old pre-focus and track method.
Do you mean Catch In Focus? I find that with a current body (K-5 IIs) AF-C with a fixed corner focus point that I keep on the athlete works pretty well. I'm shooting runners, who move more slowly, but OTOH they're quite close and often pass me only an arm's length away with no barriers. I also push the limits (sometimes too far) when it comes to narrow DOF, so focus is critical.

---------- Post added 02-24-14 at 06:10 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
I assume you mean in AF lock time?

That's what sucks about it.... I have all this great gear, but compromises need to be made for shooting sports with either system in my current setup. If I knew I was going to be hired to shoot for a cycling magazine I woulda bought a used D3X instead of the D800 :P

Too bad nothing on pentax is fast enough focusing.... Yet
Just get a 7D with your favorite lens (135/2?) and don't let it get too dark!

But honestly I'm not sure if I'm ready to go with a second system yet.

To answer your question, I mean the ability to maintain focus in AF-C (with the AF button or shutter half-pressed, of course) as I keep the fixed focus point on the subject and he moves toward me. With the K-5 and one of my screw-drive primes (or especially on the K200D) I'd only get perhaps 3 times where the athlete was in focus and I could take the shot. With my K-5 IIs it comes close to staying in focus all the time.

Last edited by DSims; 02-24-2014 at 07:17 PM.
02-25-2014, 12:39 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
Do you mean Catch In Focus? I find that with a current body (K-5 IIs) AF-C with a fixed corner focus point that I keep on the athlete works pretty well. I'm shooting runners, who move more slowly, but OTOH they're quite close and often pass me only an arm's length away with no barriers. I also push the limits (sometimes too far) when it comes to narrow DOF, so focus is critical.

---------- Post added 02-24-14 at 06:10 PM ----------

Just get a 7D with your favorite lens (135/2?) and don't let it get too dark!

But honestly I'm not sure if I'm ready to go with a second system yet.

To answer your question, I mean the ability to maintain focus in AF-C (with the AF button or shutter half-pressed, of course) as I keep the fixed focus point on the subject and he moves toward me. With the K-5 and one of my screw-drive primes (or especially on the K200D) I'd only get perhaps 3 times where the athlete was in focus and I could take the shot. With my K-5 IIs it comes close to staying in focus all the time.
The K3 has been a lot better with the sports, I find that sometimes the subject can outpace the focus motor through, which can be cause for concern. the Nikon does the job brilliantly.

It's too bad that Canon ergonomics are so cruddy, otherwise I may have gone there to get some of the really wicked glass they offer. Luckily I'm happy with my choice for Nikon as my secondary system. the ergonomics are incredibly similar to Pentax.
02-25-2014, 03:34 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
Yea, I was using my 80-200 on my D800 after I got frustrated and it was light years faster in comparison.
It's easy to believe the Nikon does better. I'm glad the K-3 is doing the job much of the time, though.

Is this the lens you're using? Nikon AF Zoom-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED Lens 1986 B&H Photo

About a year ago I was looking at Nikon in the store (probably on a D600 body - can't remember for sure) and I noticed that, for example, I got much faster focusing with an older 85 screw-drive than the newer 85/1.8G. But some claim (especially on older bodies) that the screw-drive lenses have a harder time maintaining focus on moving objects - especially some of the zooms.

So I'm curious what you've found and what has worked for you.

Last edited by DSims; 02-26-2014 at 04:19 PM.