Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-17-2008, 04:47 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
which store for 16-50 in Belmar, New Jersey???

i think i decided not to buy da 16-50 from China after your advices...
i have some friends (in Turkey) who are pentaxians will be in US for some time.
considering the problems of the lens my friend will test the lens in store if possible.
one of my friend will be in Belmar, New Jersey.
i am looking for a store which is reliable in Belmar.
are there some stores like B&H, Adorama or Ace???
thanks
halil

04-17-2008, 06:22 AM   #2
Veteran Member

The problem with NJ is that Adorama and Beach both are located here, and so will charge sales tax and shipping. The advantage with NJ is that B&H won't charge sales tax, and even with the slowest shipping option, the goods are delivered in a day.

In person, Beach Camera is about a 50 minute drive from Belmar. The store is a bit of a dump however, but they do have stuff to try out. Manhattan is a train ride away, or a drive. B&H convenient to the Lincoln tunnel, and there's a free parking lot across 34th street, provided you walk out with a purchase. B&H is one block from Penn station, for the train.
04-17-2008, 07:34 AM   #3
hll

Original Poster
thank you nesster,
i just sent this page to my friend and he said that he can easily visit the B&H.
one more question, let's think that my friend doesn't have a pentax camera, can he still test it in B&H??? do they provide a camera???
04-17-2008, 09:04 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Yes, they have everything set up... Just ask us New Yorkers how big a danger (to wallet) it is working around either B&H or Adorama... They have an entire Pentax kiosk. I don't think they let you test out the actual lens you buy, but rather a store sample.

A smaller store might let you do that; but then you'll be paying much more.

04-17-2008, 09:22 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I don't know who thought Adorama was in NJ, but last I checked they are only in NYC, not too far from B and H (and I believe both are closed this week for Passover...not sure on that).

Beach, never been to but it's fine to deal with them via online ordering.

Otherwise, honestly, if Amazon carries it, I'd have no reason not to use them, especially because of their return policies. Nothing against the camera shops, but most have around 1-2 weeks at best, where Amazon is better than 30 days (I think my last lens had 45 days).

Just my 2 cents
04-17-2008, 09:25 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Yes, they have everything set up... Just ask us New Yorkers how big a danger (to wallet) it is working around either B&H or Adorama... They have an entire Pentax kiosk. I don't think they let you test out the actual lens you buy, but rather a store sample.

A smaller store might let you do that; but then you'll be paying much more.
Have never tried a lens in either of the two biggies, but some smaller shops will do that. I've tried my 16-45 on my own camera at Camera Land, and then bought that exact lens. Pricewise, they tend to be in line with B and H for just about everything that I've purchased.

@ Adorama, the way the purchase process works, usually when I am there I don't have the patience to wait additional time to try the lens. Not knocking the shop, just don't feel it's conducive to the full examination of a lens. However, I have purchased at least 2 of my lenses from there without issue (40 limited and fisheye)
04-17-2008, 09:43 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
I don't know who thought Adorama was in NJ, but last I checked they are only in NYC
Their retail store is in NYC, but last year they moved their warehouse / shipping to NJ. Therefore, NJ sales tax.

Jim, where's Camera Land?

04-17-2008, 09:51 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I am guessing that they have 2 warehouses then, because I know the store has had a lot of work done, and they do have stock in the NYC store. Pretty sure I've seen mailorder stuff leaving there to. However, I only buy in person, so NY sales tax...ouch.

Camera Land is on Lexington avenue between 51st and 52nd, right off of the 6 and not too far from the E I believe. cameralandny.com is their site. I actually discovered that shop because on my walk from the 6 to my office in the AM, I pass by one of their sales guys, saw the hat/shirt and figured it out. It's smaller, and sometimes busy, but I find the service to be really good, and with most shops if they don't have it, they always seem willing to order it.