Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-17-2008, 05:52 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
full frame chuckle

Person brings in 5D that isn't working properly. Won't af on multi af mode. Even in bright sun. Person looks at film Rebel as back up (lens and body). Can't decide if they should get it or not. Then they are totally surprised when I mention the film lens will fit the 5D. Makes no sense to them until I say "the film camera is full frame". Person says "the film camera is full frame, oh wow" Bought it on the spot. So we have people buying full frame that have no clue what it means or where it comes from. How do you compete with that?
thanks
barondla

04-17-2008, 06:17 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
FUNNY. Next they'll be opening the back after each shot to chimp the film...
04-17-2008, 06:25 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Person brings in 5D that isn't working properly. Won't af on multi af mode. Even in bright sun. Person looks at film Rebel as back up (lens and body). Can't decide if they should get it or not. Then they are totally surprised when I mention the film lens will fit the 5D. Makes no sense to them until I say "the film camera is full frame". Person says "the film camera is full frame, oh wow" Bought it on the spot. So we have people buying full frame that have no clue what it means or where it comes from. How do you compete with that?
thanks
barondla
That doesn't surprise me at all. 'full frame' is marketing nonsense. There. I've started the proper tone for FF posts.
04-17-2008, 06:35 AM   #4
Inactive Account

<spits out coffee>

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
FUNNY. Next they'll be opening the back after each shot to chimp the film...

04-17-2008, 06:38 AM   #5
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

made my day.
04-17-2008, 07:01 AM   #6
Banned

oh wow....
04-17-2008, 07:21 AM   #7
Veteran Member

OK, I get the FF nonsense, but I am not from a film generation, so what is 'chimp'?

04-17-2008, 07:32 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
OK, I get the FF nonsense, but I am not from a film generation, so what is 'chimp'?
ah ha.

Chimping - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

looking at the etymology It appears to be a derogatory comment toward digital users by bitter dinosaurs that still used film -- clearly the only respectable way to review your photos is hunched over a light table with loupe in hand -- impersonally scrutinizing each frame's merits. Or, forcing the other 'chimps' into a dark room to review boring vacation slides.

Last edited by konraDarnok; 04-17-2008 at 07:41 AM.
04-17-2008, 08:11 AM   #9
axl
Veteran Member

canon users, isn't it just typical...
many just really don't know what do they have...
04-17-2008, 10:48 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by konraDarnok Quote
ah ha.

Chimping - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

looking at the etymology It appears to be a derogatory comment toward digital users by bitter dinosaurs that still used film -- clearly the only respectable way to review your photos is hunched over a light table with loupe in hand -- impersonally scrutinizing each frame's merits. Or, forcing the other 'chimps' into a dark room to review boring vacation slides.
Damn... thats harsh.
04-17-2008, 11:36 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Then they are totally surprised when I mention the film lens will fit the 5D.

You're a lot nicer than the salesman a friend of mine got. My friend had a film Rebel and was buying the digital version. The salesman convinced him he needed all new lenses to go with his new camera, so my friend re-bought all the lenses he already owned. I didn't find out about it until after the fact. My friend was so excited over his new DSLR, I didn't have the heart to tell him he'd been had.
04-17-2008, 11:52 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
You're a lot nicer than the salesman a friend of mine got. My friend had a film Rebel and was buying the digital version. The salesman convinced him he needed all new lenses to go with his new camera, so my friend re-bought all the lenses he already owned. I didn't find out about it until after the fact. My friend was so excited over his new DSLR, I didn't have the heart to tell him he'd been had.
OH man! That ain't cool. Just to make a buck. Awful.

Surely the salesman is breaking some laws by doing that? Although first I'd go to the store and demand a refund and some free stuff.

Of course, it pays to do your research first. Wow.
04-17-2008, 12:01 PM   #13
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
thats both incredibly funny and sad at the same time.
04-17-2008, 12:01 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I thought the film vs digital silliness was over already. Imaging is imaging, who cares which somebody chooses? Fact is, if you carry your K10D you have no choice but digi, if you carry a 67 you have no choice but film. Both tools will do a great job (and I tend to carry both).
I think the Wikipedia listing is a bit harsher than the chimping terminology I have heard amongst photographers. Having first heard the term used in context (by a photog carrying two digital bodies in Denali NP) the implication is less about digital and more about folks who get so caught up in the instant gratification of the LCD view that they forget to continue to shoot great images. The fellow who used the term is world famous for his northern lights photos--and book. I'm sure he didn't mean to slight digital shooters as he is one. His comment was in reference to all the great opportunities that were being missed while "the chimps" were caught up chimping the previous photo(s). Note that those who are analyzing histograms and such probably don't fit the "chimping" definition as I heard it or even as Wiki spelled it out. I equate it more with my 13 year old and his camera phone and the way similar kids chimp their phone photos with great glee. And gosh, since when is "glee" a bad thing? Gimme a banana and I'll get back to checking this LCD...
04-17-2008, 02:50 PM   #15
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
canon users, isn't it just typical...
many just really don't know what do they have...
Not the users, it's the pushers, sorry I meant camera shops.