Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2008, 07:16 AM   #1

Photographic portfolio

Undertain if this belongs in the "general photography" or "general talk" section, but since it's about photography, I've posted it here.

I'm looking for a portfolio to display my photos in. Something smart, slim, so not just a home photo album. Preferably something that can take A4 images. Something I could even take to a job interview alongside my design portfolio (am a student of architecture), which looks suitably smart. And am having trouble finding anything

I live in a fairly sizable UK city, have been to stationers, art stores, bookbinders, department stores. Can find very posh photo albums, leather bound with string and all that tat, but can't seem to find what I'm after.

This has led me to think, are there websites that sell this stuff? Presumably photographic professions have a need for something of this nature.

And equally, what to other people here store and display their 'good' photos in?

04-19-2008, 09:28 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi,

Im not really sure but you could try these people. I havnt yet but have been told they do a very professional job. Might not be what you are after though and they can be quite expensive.

Loxley Colour - Imaging for Professionals, Port Dundas, Glasgow, Scotland
04-19-2008, 04:45 PM   #3
Forum Member

Some of the best looking portfolio type 'albums' around here are in the Camera stores. I've also seen some nice looking stuff on ebay...............
04-19-2008, 04:58 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Back in March one of our forum members pointed out this Blurb.com site. It's quite affordable and from other replies the quality is very cool.

04-19-2008, 06:03 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Ror,

That's a great idea in a way.

The only downsides that I can see is that I'm adding additional photographs every week or 2

Plus I like to tailor mine to suit the client.

If they had removable shoots, and didn't mind printing up small batches of say 5 to 10 images I'd get one.

Which suddenly gives me an idea MrA,
Have you ever gone to Staples, or that sort of store, and seen if they have any ideas?
With all their printing presses, and what not they may be able to cater to us at an affordable price.

If I think of it I'll stop in there in a couple of days and see what they say.
I'll probably bring in my present portfolio as a sample of what not to do
04-19-2008, 09:40 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
The only downsides that I can see is that I'm adding additional photographs every week or 2
Stu, it could be just the opposite. Each book (you can create only 1 at a time) can be tailored to precisely fit the clients wish, or maintain a version in multiple copies of your most current and favorite work. This way, you could effectively keep everything up-to-date without a huge investment.

I think I'll give one a try.
04-20-2008, 07:43 AM   #7
MrA

Original Poster
Glad to see the thread's generated a bit of interest.

That blurb.com is interesting. Asside from being an american site (and the weak dollar keeps it within the realms of affordability for us in the UK), it has potential. Means each book is a definite item, with a bit of planning etc. Something nice to keep.

QuoteQuote:
This was my initial plan as well; something I could be forever improving, tailoring to who was going to see it.

I've never used Staples for repro - as a student I suppose I've always avoided them for custom stuff, perhaps I should indeed revise that position. On photographic stores, I only have 2 branches of jessops available to me - hence looking on the web.

04-21-2008, 12:11 AM   #8
Veteran Member

MrA, I don't know which firms stock Itoya portfolio products in the UK, but here's a link from the US distributor: ITOYA Art Profolio

I use the A3+/13x19 size for my general portfolio display. They've a couple of product lines that might have the sort of thing you seek; happy hunting!