Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2014, 07:06 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Had my GR with me when I was out partying yesterday. After a few beer I was snapping away at strangers as well, but only if they seemed ok with it. This guy definitely was ok with it

Was plenty of fun. Obviously the best pictures are the various poses/portraits/snapshots of my friends, but I have to ask their permission to upload the pictures before I share here...

03-29-2014, 07:39 AM - 1 Like   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Street photography

There may be some subpopulations who frown upon being photographed, at least by total strangers. I am not fully informed on this matter, but these subpopulations possibly may include the Amish here in the U.S. and Moslems in some parts of the world. Before offending an objecting subpopulation, one might find it advisable to check in with local photographers or knowledgable people regarding what is considered acceptable or unacceptable even if you personally have no qualms about violating the beliefs/preferences of others. I would be interested in observations from others who are more well informed.
03-29-2014, 08:41 AM - 1 Like   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
There may be some subpopulations who frown upon being photographed, at least by total strangers. I am not fully informed on this matter, but these subpopulations possibly may include the Amish here in the U.S. and Moslems in some parts of the world. Before offending an objecting subpopulation, one might find it advisable to check in with local photographers or knowledgable people regarding what is considered acceptable or unacceptable even if you personally have no qualms about violating the beliefs/preferences of others. I would be interested in observations from others who are more well informed.
I agree, Ivan, and a very good point, too. If I knew or had reason to suspect, that the (intended) subject would be upset, I'd go elsewhere.
Too many other, easier, friendlier or just plain curious bystanders to click.
Part of the knee-jerk reaction negative reaction to Street is that it takes nerve, there's a potential for feedback of the unpleasant kind. Rare, but it happens. Why chance it?
Because the possible result (if we succeed) is a greater understanding of human nature, social interactions, relationships, public behavior and interesting scenerios (my favorite) that unfold before us. Those special moments, large or small, that define us. A double-take (classic!), heated conversation, quiet reflection, documenting styles and trends, real life, unrehearsed, unplanned, spontaneous and free. It's quite demanding from our (photographers) point, too. It can be, and often is, 30 minutes of boredom, followed by three seconds of fast shooting, with no second chance. These are not lakes or sunsets, our subject is people. Humans are unpredictable, that's the whole point.
Anyway, TFP,
Ron
03-29-2014, 12:31 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Sticking a flash right in someone's face and popping it off without notice (as in the video) is very rude indeed. If he did that to me he might punched in the face as a knee-jerk reaction.
I can only imagine that the only reason he doesn't have people taking a swing at him more often is because they appear to often be too startled and confused by what just happened.