Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2014, 06:11 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
St. Petersburg From Above

QuoteQuote:
Recently, photographer Amos Chapple spent some time in Saint Petersburg, Russia's second-largest city. He used a small drone to lift his camera high above the cathedrals and fortresses, capturing some amazing aerial photos. Chapple: "There's a legend in Russia that Saint Petersburg was constructed in the blue heavens and lowered in one piece into the marshland, 'for how otherwise could a city so beautiful exist in a region so bleak.'" Chapple, has previously showed us Stalin's Rope Roads, and took us on a trip to Turkmenistan. [12 photos]

03-26-2014, 09:08 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Impressive pictures of very strange buildings.
03-27-2014, 09:27 AM   #3
Forum Member

Beautiful.
04-15-2014, 10:55 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
These images make me very sad

Photographers used to control all elements of image making, shutter speed, aperture, focus, composition,

Through the years these were relinquished to the camera, first was exposure control, and now we see the camera just taking whatever it points at.

The role of photographer is simply to send out the camera and collect it later, then to sift through the images it took to see if any of them are any good.

Chapple is reduced to being a critic of the cameras role as the real photographer here.

What did he contribute. he just selected the ones he liked and post processed those.

Are these images inferior to any that grace the pages of a travel magazine or a quality image site, I don't think so.

Lets just all get drones and stay at home wile the camera does everything, then submit the ones we like to competitions and rake in the accolades and awards for "our" photography.

As the cameras become smarter maybe they will resent doing all the work and getting no recognition, and then go on strike. or worse strike out on their own and turn professional.

Then we will have to relearn the ancient skills of photography, but there will be no photographers left to teach us, and the "smart" cameras wont help us they will have moved on and abandoned us as ungrateful children.

Old photographers will join AC anonymous (absent cameras) and we will huddle together discussing the good old days when our cameras liked us and we won awards and had talent. Then we will get drunk together and weep as we hear that a Canon camera scoops photographer of the year with no human intervention.

The photographer is dead long live the camera.

04-16-2014, 06:23 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Rather a bleak point of view, Imageman. Rather than moaning about the death of "photography-as-YOU-define-it", just accept that there are many many many tools and options available to photographers, and that not everyone has to fit into your definition, and then just go out and take whatever photos you like to take... In other words, lighten up!

Jim
04-16-2014, 07:11 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Does nobody in this place have a sense of humour. Good god.
04-16-2014, 07:39 AM   #7
Pentaxian
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Imageman Quote
Lots do, but it's not readily apparent on the internet when humour is being used in many situations.
And many try to use humour to soften the impact of their feelings.... and aren't very successful at it.

But part from that... those are interesting pictures.... but I suspect my use of a drone would be very different. He chose a high angle... I think while I might have done a few images like that, most of my images would have been with my 8-16 from in front of the buildings.... using the drone to place the camera directly in the middle of the building to limit distortion. Perhaps that's not practical... but, the effect of always having the camera pointed down, is not a limitation the average photographer accepts. We take some at eye level, some looking up , some looking down... the sameness of view creates a certain repetitiveness to the images, each one becoming less and less impressive. A few more images and it would have become downright boring, like you were trapped in a drone and couldn't get out.

My typical viewing pattern is to look at something at a distance and then move in for some detail. I feel like I only got the distance images, which in my view of the world is only maybe an 8th of the show.
04-16-2014, 07:54 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Yup, I sure do. Your post didn't give any indication that it was humor, though. Maybe you should consider tossing in some emoticons or {sarcastic} or {humor} tags next time if you are just joking around...

Jim

04-16-2014, 07:55 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Lol ok Jim will do
04-16-2014, 08:02 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Lots do, but it's not readily apparent on the internet when humour is being used in many situations.
And many try to use humour to soften the impact of their feelings.... and aren't very successful at it.
QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
Yup, I sure do. Your post didn't give any indication that it was humor, though. Maybe you should consider tossing in some emoticons or {sarcastic} or {humor} tags next time if you are just joking around...

Jim
Humor or not, there are some valid points.
04-16-2014, 09:32 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Humor or not, there are some valid points.
True. But it's more evolution of photography, not death of photography. Just one more tool in the arsenal, and like anything else it will have some who love it, some who hate it, some who just don't care, and it will settle into it's own niche. Kinda like that new fangled "digital" stuff did.

Personally, I think that these aerial drone platforms are in their infancy as far as photo platforms go. As they mature, we'll be able to take more direct control of the camera and capture the images we want to capture in real time. So the human will still be running the show. At least, until someone creates Skynet!

Jim
04-16-2014, 09:39 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
Personally, I think that these aerial drone platforms are in their infancy as far as photo platforms go. As they mature, we'll be able to take more direct control of the camera and capture the images we want to capture in real time.
I'm quite certain you're right.