Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2008, 06:34 AM   #1

LBA may have cost me my job!

I work in a call center where you are basically accounted for by when you are on the phone. Friday I was on ebay while on lunch and won a K1000 with 50mm F2.0 lens for like $60! I was so excited and emailing my finace' that ran 15 minutes over my lunch break! Let's say this wasn't the first "issue" I have had on the job. I told my supervisor she was not happy, but said she needed to see what management thought. For 4 hours I sat at work awaiting to be canned. ( Oh yeah, did I mention I am getting married in 6 weeks!) So now I have to wait until tomorrow when I go into work to see if I still have a job!

Worst part is that if I do get fired I have to sell my new K10D. I just got it on St Pattys day! I think I got so wrapped up in winning my lens for such a great price I lost track of time. I have to laugh now, I a have done all the crying and worrying I can. Does this sort of LBA border on obsession?!

P.S.
Anyone in the Madison, WI area know of any job openings... let me know!

04-20-2008, 06:43 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Gutted but lets us know how it goes! Fingers crossed you'll be ok
04-20-2008, 07:15 AM   #3
Ed in GA

If you violated a company policy, and they made you fret over it for the entire weekend, you might be better off without that job.

Last edited by Ed in GA; 04-20-2008 at 07:43 AM.
04-20-2008, 07:18 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ed in GA Quote
If you violated a company policy, and the made you fret over it for the entire weekend, you might be better off without that job.
It was a stupid mistake! I wasn't breaking policy by being on the internet. I was just late. but I have never done something so absent minded. maybe if I do get fired it will be because there is something better out there for me.

04-20-2008, 08:16 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I don't think you will get fired for being late. Maybe a warning. BTW congrats on the lens.
04-20-2008, 09:19 AM   #6
Veteran Member

madisonphotogrl,
I hope that things work out for you.

If your a good worker you already know that you'll still have a job on Monday.
And if not the chances are that the job wasn't for you anyways.
It might be better for both you and the company to find another type of work

I never made it a habit of being late, but only 2 companies I worked for had a problem with it.
The boss in the first one started to ream me out, so I started working for his competition across the street 10 minutes later

And the second boss came running up to me with an apology within a couple of minutes, when he remembered that I usually show up 15 minutes early and set up
I continued to work with him until the end of the season, and we're still basically friends 6 years later.
04-20-2008, 11:14 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Congrats on the lens and the K1000.
Now!!If you still have a job on Monday (like I hope you do ) Please take it as a warning and keep your eye on the ball. LBA is no reason to lose jobs or a family over. It's no reason to allow your self to go broke either. REMEMBER you need the job to support your self and family and also to allow you the means to enjoy LBA.

Good luck my friend and it is with sincere hope you still have your job. I guess it's just the way companies are these days. Nothing is secure any more.

04-20-2008, 11:32 AM   #8
Banned

says the guy who thinks 'The only cure for LBA is to buy more Lenses.'
04-20-2008, 03:26 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Photo Tramp Quote
Congrats on the lens and the K1000.
Now!!If you still have a job on Monday (like I hope you do ) Please take it as a warning and keep your eye on the ball. LBA is no reason to lose jobs or a family over. It's no reason to allow your self to go broke either. REMEMBER you need the job to support your self and family and also to allow you the means to enjoy LBA.

Good luck my friend and it is with sincere hope you still have your job. I guess it's just the way companies are these days. Nothing is secure any more.
Thanks for the kind words. It's not acceptable to me to be late after lunch, but it was a one time deal. I also know how corp. America works too. If they want me to stay they will make sure I stay but if they wanted me gone I gave them a reason. I am trying to be positive but I have my weepy moments.

I must say the rush of winning on ebay brings a whole new kind of addition to the LBA. I was so excited that I didn't even make sure the lens would meter on my K10D. I guess we will see how the lens works out.
04-20-2008, 03:31 PM   #10
Banned

if its an A series lens your golden. if its an M lens ive heard about trouble with metering on the K10D and Ive had a little trouble using Av mode on my K110D but using the AE-L or 'green button' on the K10 gives excellent results and once you get used to it it becomes like second nature to focus, stop down lens, meter light, take shot.
04-20-2008, 04:48 PM   #11
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
says the guy who thinks 'The only cure for LBA is to buy more Lenses.'
You are right about the quote, But LBA has never jeopordised my job. As the OP states this was a one time thing. I'm hoping that his company is reasonable and forgiving. If it happens too often I could see their reason for leaving some one go. But in this case I think it would be a little drastic.
I do wish the OP the best of luck tomorrow and If called on the carpet or asked to explain, then be truthful and assure them it won't happen again.
04-20-2008, 05:15 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I lost my job too because of LBA (or at least, photography). Manager "noticed" that I almost always spent time on ebay, this forum, and other photography related sites. I was canned without warning... good thing, I found a higher paying job after 3 weeks...

But I've long since quit that job )about 3 months now) to become a professional photographer... it isn't paying as much(yet, hopefully) but it is fulfilling and I'm glad I took the plunge...

You'll be fine. What you did isn't really worth being terminated for... if they do terminate you, then you're better off somewhere else! Don't worry, the universe has a way of unfolding itself!
04-20-2008, 07:08 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by madisonphotogrl Quote
Thanks for the kind words. It's not acceptable to me to be late after lunch, but it was a one time deal. I also know how corp. America works too. If they want me to stay they will make sure I stay but if they wanted me gone I gave them a reason. I am trying to be positive but I have my weepy moments.

I must say the rush of winning on ebay brings a whole new kind of addition to the LBA. I was so excited that I didn't even make sure the lens would meter on my K10D. I guess we will see how the lens works out.
I wanted to post about 8 hours earlier, but I held back. I've had a good day and I'm tired, so I'll throw my thoughts into the ring. I don't know your life details, so it's hard to figure out. Don't take it personally, though, just think about it.

For starts, if you are working at a call center, you might consider a career change. Even if you don't get fired, you should consider a job change. Let's face it, call centers are the 21st century equivalent of indentured servitude. If you have the intelligence and self-determinism to be a photographer (and a Pentaxian, no less), you can do better in life than working in a call center. Having to listen to annoying people complain about their sorry lives will eat at your soul. But, I understand. I was in college (and grad school) and married a couple decades ago and I know you'll do what you can to stay in a college town, making a living, to get yourself and your spouse graduated and done. Even if it's a crappy living.

As for the winning on eBay part, please don't get drawn into that too much. eBay spends millions of dollars trying to convince people to compete for whatever is put out there for sale. It's a marketing tactic and nothing more. You would do better off patrolling the marketplace here--a lot of decent glass goes by and no bidding is required. Just good timing.

Your new lens will meter on your K10D just fine, so long as it's an official Pentax brand lens. If it's a Ricoh mount or Vivitar, you may want to search DPReview for the "Canonical stuck lens" thread.

In hope that your life gets a little better, I have something I will send you. I've been meaning to put it up for sale, but it's not worth that much to most folks. But, it would be worth something to someone who's building a new Pentax kit, though. If you will PM me your address, I've got a lens I'll send you that might brighten you day. And no, it's not a FA*80-200/2.8.

Good luck

-E
04-20-2008, 09:42 PM   #14
Veteran Member

That's pretty sweet ericc!

Way to go! A nice pick me up gesture.
04-22-2008, 02:37 AM   #15
Inactive Account

OK, it's Tuesday Morning!
What happened at work on Monday?