Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2014, 02:44 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Issues taking photos of traffic lights

So guys, I have an issue. My father and I have had great luck with our Pentax DSLR's, but have had issues recently when trying to capture the green light coming of traffic lights. The light in reality is green, whereas the colour from both my K5 as well as my fathers K3 is bluish white. Any idea what is going on?

04-06-2014, 03:06 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have seen similar effects and for me it has been the green light was over exposed (the lights are relatively bright so that motorist can always see them) to the point that green channel is saturated out and residual red etc light is sufficient to mix to white light (if that makes any sense?).
As an experiment try applying 2 or 3 stops negative exposure compensation - I think you will find that green is now green.
Apart from perhaps HDR techniques I don't think there is an easy answer.
04-06-2014, 03:14 AM   #3

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Well, just to be sure, while I was taking the photos I had exposure bracketing on set to 1.5ev sets for 5 exposures, and I am seeing the same effects
04-06-2014, 03:57 AM   #4
Veteran Member

What white balance are the cameras on? What do you point your camera on while shooting your pictures? What metering mode the camera is on?

Is it a new problem or you just discovered it?

Have you reset your camera to take care of the situation? It has helped me sometimes.

Cheers!

04-06-2014, 04:33 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Are the traffic lights incandescent lamps behind a green glass lens or are they LED?
04-06-2014, 06:09 AM   #6
Veteran Member

It would really help if you posted a photo or two, with intact exif.
And do you shoot raw or jpeg? The jpeg processing mode may affect this
04-06-2014, 07:40 AM   #7
Pentaxian

This is in Australia? Here in USA I've never had a big issue with green traffic lights, even LED lights. LED lights tend to emit a narrower band of light frequencies than incandescent bulbs and can overload one color channel. I wonder whether Australia uses a different tint of green.

Are you taking closeups of the light? Too much green in the image might be throwing off white balance. Maybe set your camera to capture DNG (or DNG+JPG) so you can adjust white balance later if needed.

04-07-2014, 12:15 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hmm, I will try in the Uk and report back
04-09-2014, 05:15 PM   #9
Pentaxian

A lot of newer traffic lights are using LED's and that may be the cause. I haven't taken any traffic light shots recently but a lot of LED Christmas lights throw some really strange color casts that aren't too pleasing and I haven't found a white balance setting that helps much. A lot of custom motorcycles and cars use LED lighting to dress them up at night but they are difficult to photograph. The new traffic signals are very bright. You can easily see them even when the sun is directly behind them but they don't appear to be as bright as they really are. That doesn't make much sense, I know but I think the camera is seeing light that the LED's put out that aren't visible to our eyes. Some manufacturers are labeling their lights as color corrected. There was a thread about this issue in the forum a couple of years ago and someone posted a very good technical paper on the qualities of LED light.