Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2014, 07:15 PM   #1
Veteran Member

ND Filters

I want to start using ND filters and need some suggestions about what to buy.
I plan on using them on my DA15 or FA31 lens. What is a good starting filter and how do they mount?
I have never used one before so any advice is appreciated.

04-08-2014, 08:07 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
ND's?

Hello peterjcb,
ND filters are handy for a number of things, 2nd only to CPL's for digital use. Pretty much every other filter 'effect' can be duplicated with PP.
They screw onto the lens front, with whatever diameter thread that lens uses. I looked up the DA 15Ltd, it's 49mm. FA 31Ltd is 58mm (filter diameter size), so they're widely different. Some people would buy the larger size and use step-down rings (reducers) to accommodate the smaller sizes. Others have filters for every different size they need. Cost is of course a factor, but so is remembering to bring' em all and space in the camera bag.
I see you have other DA's and FA's. It might be easier to find a couple of similar-sized (filter size) lenses like 49 or 52, two common Pentax sizes. Then you could easily use the 52's with one step-down.
There's also a problem with wide-angle lenses and filters, called vignetting. That's when the filter 'cuts off' the outside of the image, darkening it.
Either way, get the best you can afford. Mounting a $10.00 knock-off onto a thousand-dollar lens seems pretty dumb to me, but opinions vary. Anything you put in front of the lens will degrade the image quality somewhat; Good CPL's more than make up for any tiny I.Q. loss with the enhanced saturation, increased contrast and glare reduction. A lens hood offers many of these qualities also. A hood and good CPL together? Real photography, not snaps.
Enough lecturing. I don't know of a ND test, but here's a link to 'LensTips' a lens-review site. This is a summary of a CPL test. They also have (under 'Articles") a similar test of UV filters. The same names appear at the top of both, so it's safe to say they probably make high-quality ND's.
Polarizing filters test - Introduction - Lenstip.com
B + W
Marumi (Marumi also makes Fujiyama, another high-placer in CPL's)
Hoya Pro
Slightly farther down you'll find Kenko, Sigma and a few others.
Last, for ND's, you're losing light so the shutter speeds will be slow. Tripod, cable or electronic release (or, 2-second timer).
Good Luck!
Ron
04-08-2014, 08:09 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ok, so what in particular are you after?

Slow shutter speeds for soft looking water? then you need solid ND's
Even the exposure between sky and ground? you need grad ND's

You've phrased your question as wanting solid nd filters. if this is right,
you can get either screw-in filters which attach like a UV or
you can get square filters (like the cokin system). If you go the square filters I suggest you get either the P size (86mm) or Lee size (100mm) to accommodate any future lenses.

Your FA 31 will accept a screw-in filter directly. a square filter system will require spacers to clear the hood.
Grad ND's are best available in the square filter system.

There's enough discussion on ND filters on these forums to answer most questions you may have.
good luck
04-08-2014, 08:48 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have a 49mm B+W ND 3.0 10 stop filter that I use with the DA15 and DA40 which are both 49mm. It cuts a lot of light so it's good to get cloud motion and soft water. It's pretty fun and not too hard to use once you get the hang of it. Metering and focus can be tough, and I like to compose before adding the filter and.or use live view. Regular viewfinder use is impossible with it on and the tripod is mandatory.

04-27-2014, 06:12 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the tips.
I just ordered a 10 stop 49mm ND filter
Amazon.com : Hoya Pro 49mm 1000x Neutral Density Filter, 10 Stops (3.0) : Camera Lens Neutral Density Filters : Camera & Photo

It will fit my DA15, DA35 Macro limited, FA 50 1.7, F 35-80 and Takumar 70-210. I'm not sure how useful it would be on all those lenses but it seems like it would be ideal for the DA15 and the 35 Macro limited.
can't wait to try it out and experiment with it...
05-02-2014, 10:06 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
..so I need some pointers now about using my newly acquired 10 stop ND filter.
I"ll be using a K-5 / DA 15mm on a tripod with a wireless release. I'm guessing Manual Mode.
What's the best time of day to shoot, any suggestions on settings & how to calculate long exposures & focusing, types of subject matter to shoot???
05-02-2014, 10:23 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
LiveView is your friend, cover the viewfinder if doing a long exposure in daylight, manual focus or focus before the filter goes on. Moving water and clouds are my favorite subjects. Exposures vary from 10-30 seconds in daylight, depending on how light it is. I usually just chimp a shot or two and use the histogram to see how you did. Good luck, have fun!

05-02-2014, 10:34 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by peterjcb Quote
...how to calculate long exposures & focusing..
One method is to get the exposure from the camera without the ND filter and at the aperture you want, put the camera in manual mode and adjust the shutter speed. Round off the shutter speed to the nearest whole stop if you want.

For example, lets say you set the aperture to f11 and the camera gave you a reading of 1/200 at ISO 100. Round that off to 1/250 and simply count down 10 stops ( eg 1/125, 1/60, 1/30, 1/15, 1/8, 1/4, 1/2, 1, 2, 4 seconds). That is about the slowest shutter speed you can expect on a bright, sunny day at that aperture.

Focus with the ND filter off and lock it if that 10-stops exceeds the camera's minimum EV focus capability.

Last edited by tuco; 05-02-2014 at 10:43 AM.