Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
04-09-2014, 11:23 AM   #1
Closed Account

Who else hates using a flash

Perhaps it's because I haven't mastered the flash, but I don't like using a flash.
I prefer to use the natural light from the window and a tripod or go outside where there's plenty of light.

Seems like the few times I try to use a flash, I get over exposed images.
Years ago I used a flash a lot of fill flash, but i don't shoot many people these days.

04-09-2014, 11:44 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I am kind of scared of using a flash mostly because I don't know how to use it right. My fear is the distortion of color and reflection on skin. The light isn't natural and I don't know how to make it more natural like. I run a full manual flash so I control my exposure by aperture and ISO.
04-09-2014, 11:46 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I submit that it's likely that you haven't mastered it. It's a tool like any other, get to know it, and know when to use it. I will say that as I use mine from time to time, it takes me some testing to both remember how to use it effectively and to do enough tests in the field before I go after the 'money shot.'

Clearly, if you can get fine results with natural light go for it, but there are times when you can't and you need to get the most from your tools.
04-09-2014, 11:55 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Flash is terrible if you just leave it on the camera and point it directly at something. Get your flash off the camera and make it mimic natural light or at the very least bounce it.

04-09-2014, 11:55 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Use of flash is just another step in the photographic journey. If you don't need it, then don't worry about it. At some point there will be an image you need to take that cannot be done without flash. Then you either learn flash and lighting or you don't take the image.
04-09-2014, 12:05 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I found this a nice push in the right direction and written for total beginners, plus its free to read and reasonably short:
Strobist: Lighting 101

There are also videos on youtube and other places that would probably be easier than reading for many people. I find long books on exposure to be too full of dry theory to really retain stuff well wheras the videos tend to show the application of the theory to teach it.

It is possible to make flash look totally natural or make it clearly not natural and yet still look good.

Going from natural light photography to artificial light photography (flashes, reflectors, lights, whatever) is like going from film photography to digital photography, there is honestly that much to learn and gain experience with using.

I am still fairly useless with artificial light.
04-09-2014, 12:24 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I hate using flash, there you go... it doesn't mater if you have to use it, you can still hate it. I've used it for weddings, and in lot's of other situations, but I've never liked it. So you can do adequate pictures with it, that you can tell are flash pictures.. what does that count for?

Last edited by normhead; 04-09-2014 at 12:31 PM.
04-09-2014, 12:27 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I hate using flash, too. I admire those who use it well, but it's just not my thing. I have to light people and things all the time in my regular job so you'd think I'd like flash...but I don't.
04-09-2014, 12:40 PM   #9

I use multiple flashes a lot and I would encoruage you to learn how to use them. It's really important to learn how to control light. You tube is full of great tutorials. Look them up and just practise as much as you can. And one more thing-forget about pTTL or any kind of automatic mode. Just put it in manual and experiment
04-09-2014, 12:42 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I hate using hot-shoe mounted flash. It clumsy pain in the rear.

There, I said it.

Steve
04-09-2014, 12:43 PM   #11
Site Supporter

I suck at flash.
04-09-2014, 12:45 PM   #12
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
So you can do adequate pictures with it, that you can tell are flash pictures.. what does that count for?
You can make it indistinguishable from natural light, but why does it matter if you can tell, as long as it looks good.
04-09-2014, 12:59 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
You can make it indistinguishable from natural light, but why does it matter if you can tell, as long as it looks good.
Where did anyone said that hating flash means you don't know how to use it? And why would anyone make flash indistinguishable from natural light.. if you can just step out doors?

There is a feature of flash that makes it distinguishable from natural light.. the fall off from the flash gun is considerable.. so you must be shooting in front of something that limits the distance from the background from to the subject... like a wall or backdrop... unless you're just using the flash for fill lighting. It is next to impossible to light a big scene with flash, so you must limit yourself to a small area. Those are some pretty hefty constraints.

Most of us use flash, when we have to.
04-09-2014, 01:01 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I'm not good at it, but i like using it.
When used properly, you get this pop that you can't replicate without supplemental lighting.

However using it "properly" is the part that is real hard to master. And what really makes it more challenging than it should be is how the camera manufacturers implement autoflash, p-ttl, e-ttl, i-ttl.
They all operate differently, have their nuances, work non-intuitively in different modes etc. All of that leads to inconsistent exposures.

Like is said above, using a flash in manual is the way to go. You just have to practice and learn how to do it.
04-09-2014, 01:04 PM   #15
Veteran Member

If I am forced to use Flash it is at -2.

Its like making love in dim light