Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2008, 07:07 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Packing and shipping

ever need that certain sized box???? here's a tip.. the USPS has a lot of boxes for sell but they also have free ''flat rate boxes'' of different size. they also have free supplies and boxes on their ste that you can order.. i just ordered 20 non-flat rate priority boxes for free, size 7x7x6 that will be delivered thru the mail.. perfect size for smaller lenses.. here's the tip; even tho these are priority boxes and labeled that way all you have to do to them is turn them inside out.. it takes another piece of tape but, hey, it's free!!!!

04-21-2008, 08:47 PM   #2
LDB
Forum Member

Free? Guess again. Did you notice the postage rate increase a few months ago? Have you heard of the postage rate increase coming up later this year? That's 1. a number of issues involving less than ideal management and labor and 2. people causing increased expenses due to their dipping into the "it's free and/or it's paid by the government" pool.
04-21-2008, 08:55 PM   #3
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by roy Quote
here's the tip; even tho these are priority boxes and labeled that way all you have to do to them is turn them inside out.. it takes another piece of tape but, hey, it's free!!!!
Bad tips. If they find out that you turn those USPS Priority boxes inside out. They will send it back to sender's address.
04-22-2008, 05:29 AM   #4
roy
Inactive Account

Original Poster
sheesh, i was just trying to help and i get hammered.. i was only trying to help.. i've never spent $400 for a freaking hammer.. yes, they will send it back..
LDB, why don't you go buy a new toilet at government prices.. i'll be damned if i'll make a suggestion again..

04-22-2008, 08:02 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Hey Roy,

I use the USPS Flat Rate Priority Mail boxes all the time.
My wife and I, at times, sell stuff through our eBay accounts and use the USPS to ship.
Boxes and tape are free, the rate is pretty fair, never had a problem with things not showing up, and you can even arrange for the mail carrier to pick-up at your house.
Just leave the boxes right side out though...

I think ALL frieght carriers have a problem with thier employees "dipping" into the material.
When I was in college, I had three friends who worked for shippers, two for UPS, the other for Fedex. I myself worked for a time at a company named Smiser Friehgt. The things I seen for myself and the things that were told to me about UPS and Fedex would make you think twice about shipping anything with anybody...

From what I gather, the safeset way to ship is to make your box so that it does not stand out of the crowd, so it just blends in with all the other boxes.

Marking it fragile, will only get it thrown all the harder. Confirmed by my UPS friends who unloaded and loaded trucks at the UPS hub in Cerritos, CA. The orange Fragile Sticker marked the box as a target for special treatment...
Also by my manager whilst I was employed at Smiser, as he was hurling boxes of ceramic plates down the length of a 40 foot trailer, "It's up to the owner of this package to pack it correctly" "Whoosh...Crash"

You have to pack the item so that once the box is sealed, the item is in the center of the space, surrounded by padding, and does not move no matter how hard you shake the box.

There's some tips for ya...
04-22-2008, 08:18 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by Stevis Quote
Hey Roy,

I use the USPS Flat Rate Priority Mail boxes all the time.
My wife and I, at times, sell stuff through our eBay accounts and use the USPS to ship.
Boxes and tape are free, the rate is pretty fair, never had a problem with things not showing up, and you can even arrange for the mail carrier to pick-up at your house.
Just leave the boxes right side out though...

I think ALL frieght carriers have a problem with thier employees "dipping" into the material.
When I was in college, I had three friends who worked for shippers, two for UPS, the other for Fedex. I myself worked for a time at a company named Smiser Friehgt. The things I seen for myself and the things that were told to me about UPS and Fedex would make you think twice about shipping anything with anybody...

From what I gather, the safeset way to ship is to make your box so that it does not stand out of the crowd, so it just blends in with all the other boxes.

Marking it fragile, will only get it thrown all the harder. Confirmed by my UPS friends who unloaded and loaded trucks at the UPS hub in Cerritos, CA. The orange Fragile Sticker marked the box as a target for special treatment...
Also by my manager whilst I was employed at Smiser, as he was hurling boxes of ceramic plates down the length of a 40 foot trailer, "It's up to the owner of this package to pack it correctly" "Whoosh...Crash"

You have to pack the item so that once the box is sealed, the item is in the center of the space, surrounded by padding, and does not move no matter how hard you shake the box.

There's some tips for ya...
Omfg

And i'm too tired those whining (not you, Roy)
04-22-2008, 08:49 AM   #7
roy
Inactive Account

Original Poster
thanks,
i only ship priority.. there's very little difference between priority an parcal for small items but somethig large and heavy can make a difference.. to ALL ,,,,,,, i'm not sorry i ripped of the postal service once.. usually if i have a flat rate box going out at 8.95 and can save $2 if i turn the box inside out using their priority shipping... i've also gotten a flat rate box that weighed 11lbs of beads for use in bean bag supports for cameras. i'll list them soon. camo bean bags at 3.5 lbs each for 25 bucks.. ck googole
04-22-2008, 08:59 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Don't do that. Using those boxes for non-priority mail is illegal and drives up the cost of postage for those of us who really do ship priority mail. I usually ship priority mail so I can use those boxes for their intended use. Its a huge benefit and I don't want to see it go away because of abusers like you. If you want to use the boxes, pay the priority rate.

04-22-2008, 09:07 AM   #9
Banned

in the nicest way possible, yea I don't agree with taking advantage of the system. The USPS is the best for shipping in the US, the safest, easiest, most responsible not to mention cheapest, and usually always the fastest route for most things and I don't much care for the idea of ripping off the USPS even if it is just some 'free' boxes.
04-22-2008, 09:08 AM   #10
Ed in GA

QuoteOriginally posted by Stevis Quote
Hey Roy,

IYou have to pack the item so that once the box is sealed, the item is in the center of the space, surrounded by padding, and does not move no matter how hard you shake the box.
That's how I pack every box I ship. It doesn't matter if it's USPS or UPS. In fact, one fellow to whom I shipped said that my packing was "Bomb Proof".

When I ship something, I want it to arrive in the same condition in which it left.

Once I leave a package at the Post Office, I feel that I am the last intelligent, or caring, person who will ever see that package until it arrives at its destination.

Ed
04-22-2008, 01:46 PM   #11
LDB
Forum Member

I'll pass on paying government price whenever possible although it wouldn't be "government price" if it weren't for the mismanagement and abuse from both inside and outside. If anyone is offended by having abuse recognized they'll just have to be offended I guess.