Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
04-19-2014, 11:12 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Macro first timer - best way to make use of what I've got

Oh great and wise forum,

I've been reading up on macro photography and fancy giving it a try. I have a decent selection of zoom lenses at the moment but don't want to splash out on a dedicated macro lens if I don't follow through.

So the two cheapest options currently on the table are: A reverse adaptor to make use of the lenses I currently have, and a set of macro filters to add to the lenses. I suppose a third option is both of these, but I wanted to ask opinions and see if anyone out there had tried either option.

I currently own a 2 x teleconvertor which gives passable results in some conditions but can give the image an almost dreamlike feeling in others.

So, any comments?

04-19-2014, 11:51 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

I don't think you'll be happy with the close-up filters. Reversing the lens works well, but an option you didn't mention is a set of extension tubes. That would be my first pick if I just wanted to see if I like working macro without investing in a dedicated macro lens.
04-20-2014, 02:41 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
+1 tubes on a prime, the much maligned 50mm f2 is great on them
04-20-2014, 04:36 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I agree, tubes are the way to go. They work great on a prime such as a 50. You can make a tube out of a cheap 2x converter by removing the glass.

04-20-2014, 04:56 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Gents

Many thanks for the info, I've been digging on fleabay and found a couple of cheap reverse adaptor rings for my two manual focus zoom lenses so I reckon I can afford to try them as a first step. I'll investigate tubes as a second option, but I'm assuming the lens will be fitted the right way round?
04-20-2014, 05:15 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Without intervention, yes, the lens on extension tubes will be facing the normal way. You can get reverse adapters that will attach the filter threads to the k-mount bayonet for reversing a lens on tubes (or directly to the body) General Brand Reverse Adapter Pentax K to 49mm AV49PK B&H Photo (more on ebay of course)
04-20-2014, 05:16 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yeah, macro tubes just add an extension between the lens and the body. If you add 50mm extension to a 50mm f1.7 lens, you'll have a 100mm f3.4 macro capable of 1:1. Tubes are a good place to start, but they aren't quite as nice as having a true macro lens IMHO. Another option is a macro-teleconverter. The image quality isn't as good as a true macro lens or tubes, but they're much easier to use than tubes.

04-20-2014, 09:10 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Another thought...If you buy a proper macro lens used here on the market place, and don't "follow through" as you say...you can just sell it again on the marketplace, for no real loss of money. Since used lenses hold their value, you should see them more like a savings account than an expenditure, that is as long as you don't over pay for one.
04-20-2014, 06:02 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
i've done some more research on extension tubes, but I read something on a reputable forum that extension tubes really only offer the best results on prime lenses, not so much with zoom. Can anyone confirm/deny comment on this? As all of my lenses have a zoom capability it doesn't sound like it would be much of an improvement.
04-20-2014, 06:07 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It would probably be harder to use extension tubes on a zoom - just because the extra extension will affect the fstop (so handheld shots are likely to be quite blurred - might be ok with a tripod though). If your zoom lenses lack aperture rings, then they wouldn't work anyway (same applies to a reverse adapter)
04-21-2014, 12:04 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Liney Quote
i've done some more research on extension tubes, but I read something on a reputable forum that extension tubes really only offer the best results on prime lenses, not so much with zoom. Can anyone confirm/deny comment on this? As all of my lenses have a zoom capability it doesn't sound like it would be much of an improvement.
hence my earlier post
04-21-2014, 08:26 AM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For about $50.00, you can get everything you need off of e-bay short of a true 1:1 macro lens for playing around with macro.

Today on e-bay I found:
$24.00 - Pentax M 50mm f2 lens (uses 49mm filters - you need a lens with an aperture ring so you can set aperture)
$ 6.72 - Set of 3 Pentax K extension tubes (used with above lens will get you about 1:1 macro)
$10.99 - Set of 4 close-up filters (don't provide the best resolution, but are simple to use)
$4.59 - PK lens reverse adapter (used to reverse mount above lens - again you need lens with aperture ring)
$5.03 - Male to male coupling adapter (allows reversing above lens onto an existing lens mounted normally on camera)
04-21-2014, 05:22 PM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

"Macro" represents a broad array of shooting situations and technical needs. There are many ways to achieve high magnification but each has its downsides, i.e., each is a compromise. (In some cases the main compromise is cost.) Hard to know what to suggest without having some idea of the kinds of subjects, shooting situations, and magnification range you're interested in.
04-21-2014, 08:00 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Again thanks for the feedback.

West Penn, seems we've been doing much of the same searching, although I wasn't looking at the lenses quite yet. Extension tubes and reverse adaptors are easy to find, many are cheaper than the postal insurance to make sure they get to me.

Baro-nite, I guess I haven't selected a subject genre yet, although all the close up bug shots always amaze me and make me want to emulate them. My initial desire is to try out some of the aspects without a lot of cash layout, if I find something I like then I can take it further. My interest in all things mechanical and electrical would take me towards small devices as a starting point.

Found an interesting youtube clip explaining the concept, and the demonstration was to try out the results by just turning the lens round and holding it to the front of the camera. Tried it out with my current lenses and got an idea of what I could achieve with just a reverse adaptor so that is a good start.

I have an inherent quirk in my character which goes "I have a goal, how can I improvise/overcome/adapt what I have around me to make it happen?" Spending cash to get the right solution quickly is not half as much fun.

Thanks again
04-21-2014, 08:22 PM   #15
Site Supporter

This was shot with my 50-200 on a Kenko P/AF extension tube. I don't recall the length. These tubes have the contacts that allow you to control the aperture on lenses without a ring.

I bought them here on the forum for around $100/130. As you can tell, it's pretty sharp. The problem is that the zoom ring also works as a focus ring and can be a little confusing the first time you experience it..

I get it close with the zoom ring and then do final focus with the focus ring, so it's not a quick process, but it does work just fine IMHO.

[EDIT] Be wary of cheap tubes you find on fleabay. If they are 2 piece construction, they can mean death to a heavy zoom lens, when those pieces come apart.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 

Last edited by shooz; 04-21-2014 at 08:27 PM.