Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-30-2014, 03:42 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

The button on my camera I never use

I don't know about the rest of you, but there's one button on my camera that I never use. The AF/AE-L button. I also don't use the WB button.

I figure if I know how to adjust the aperature, shutter speed, and ISO then I'm doing pretty good.

04-30-2014, 03:57 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I second this.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/174-pentax-k-3-photo-contest/259440-streets-life-lines.html
04-30-2014, 03:58 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
I don't use AF/AE-L either. I use the shutter release button for AF, and have the camera to lock exposure at focus confirmation.

The WB button gets plenty of use, though. I figured that I can use the (semi-translucent) body cap as a diffuser to get an AWB reading from light sources, which I can then plug into one of the manual WB presets.
04-30-2014, 04:22 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Using "back-button" AF to separate image focusing from image capturing is a common practice--highly recommended for sports and wildlife shooting. Plenty of folks choose not to do this, however.

M

04-30-2014, 05:16 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aremmes Quote
I don't use AF/AE-L either.
I do use it - in M mode it acts as program shift for your set exposure value, very handy in a pinch. The only button I don't really use is the AF button- without the camera grip on my camera using the AF button forces my had to adopt arather odd position that can cause strain if I maintain it for too long.
04-30-2014, 05:24 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My least-used is the RAW/fx button; I use Info screen to change settings and have not taught myself to make use of this for something. I often use the rear button for AF so that one is quite common for me.
04-30-2014, 05:33 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Knowing how to adjust aperture, shutter speed and ISO is important, it enables you to choose how to capture an image.
Using the rear Auto Focus button to track moving subjects is something you might also consider.
The utility is, when you decide to press the shutter button, its all set to fire, little to no delay. Sometimes, a little time can be a lot of time.

04-30-2014, 05:36 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Michael Piziak Quote
I don't know about the rest of you, but there's one button on my camera that I never use. The AF/AE-L button. I also don't use the WB button.

I figure if I know how to adjust the aperature, shutter speed, and ISO then I'm doing pretty good.

QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
My least-used is the RAW/fx button; I use Info screen to change settings and have not taught myself to make use of this for something. I often use the rear button for AF so that one is quite common for me.
On both my K5 lls and my K50 I have the RAw/fx button set to Bracketing. It makes it easier then having to use the drive menu. With the K5 ll's the menu comes up on bracketing and allows you to select normal, timed or wireless remote, also the number of bracketed photos. Or you can pre set those up and when you press raw/fx then press the shutter it will fire off the brackets either one at a time or one touch depending on how you have that set up.

Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 04-30-2014 at 06:23 PM.
04-30-2014, 06:25 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzqQskGoURE

On both my K5 lls and my K50 I have the RAw/fx button set to Bracketing. It makes it easier then having to use the drive menu. With the K5 ll's the menu comes up on bracketing and allows you to select normal, timed or wireless remote, also the number of bracketed photos. Or you can pre set those up and when you press raw/fx then press the shutter it will fire off the brackets either one at a time or one touch depending on how you have that set up.
See if I knew how the button worked like this video shows I'd probably use it! On the Pentax, do you have to program that button to do what he's doing in the movie ?
04-30-2014, 06:43 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I use AEL all the time. When shooting something in bright back light, I'll use center meter, put the spot on something in a nice mid tone, and hit AEL. Then when I recompose and shoot, the part that I want well exposed is.
04-30-2014, 06:47 PM   #11
Veteran Member

See if I knew how the button worked like this video shows I'd probably use it! On the Pentax, do you have to program that button to do what he's doing in the movie ?
Yes, this is the page from your manual showing how. Set your camera on AF-C for anything but low light. Low light you want AF-S so the Af Assist light will work. Use AF2 as it shuts off the shutter focusing, it will take some getting used to it not focusing. Using AF1 kind of defeats the purpose. You will have to remember that it has changed when you use your camera at first each time. Setting it up this way will focus using the Af/AEl button the way and he explains it in the video.

Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 04-30-2014 at 06:54 PM.
04-30-2014, 07:23 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I see where AF1 defeats the purpose, as autofocus would be performed again by pushing the shutter release button.

One thing I don't get is why does the camera need to be set at AF-C (continuous focussing)

And for basics, it's called AF/AE-L because the button can be either used for "Auto Focus Lock" or "Auto Exposure Lock," right ?
04-30-2014, 08:02 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I see where AF1 defeats the purpose, as autofocus would be performed again by pushing the shutter release button.

One thing I don't get is why does the camera need to be set at AF-C (continuous focussing)

And for basics, it's called AF/AE-L because the button can be either used for "Auto Focus Lock" or "Auto Exposure Lock," right ?
It doesn't need to be, what AF-C allows different is if the subject moves, by holding down the AF/AEL button without release it will continue minutely adjust keeping the subject in focus or if you want to quick change your focus to another spot as long as you are holding the button it will change to that spot usually without major lens hunting. By depressing the button getting focus lock and releasing it will maintain the lock and allow a composition change without losing focus on the subject much the same as AF-S. Only with AF-S if your subject moves then you would need to refocus, which sometimes that slight movement can cause the lens to hunt which in the cause of shooting some wildlife can mean it costing the shot.

Right!

My K5 lls is different than the K-R and my K50 because it has a separate AF button and an AEL button I can still exposure lock independently as long as I don't have in the custom menu to lock AE when the AF Locks..

Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 04-30-2014 at 08:11 PM.
04-30-2014, 08:13 PM   #14
Pentaxian

AF-S ( Auto Focus Single ) will establish focus and lock it. AF-C (Auto-Focus Continuous) will establish focus and maintain focus as a subject moves.

AF-S is good for portrait with at 2.8 with very shallow depth of field. Establish focus on the eye, focus is locked, recompose and shoot.

AF-C is good for action. Establish focus on subject, track and shoot when the moment is right.

04-30-2014, 08:13 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I moved AF off the shutter release button to the AF/AEL button so that the camera didn't try to refocus every time I hit the shutter release. My DL was bad about that especially in lower light . So I moved AF to the back on it. I got use to it being there so when I got the 30 I moved it there as well. For me it also helped with focus and recompose by not losing focus because of a small movement of my finger on the shutter button.