Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2008, 06:35 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by simons-photography Quote
problem is paying the bills in the mean time I'll never give the hobby up and considering my income (that at times has been the doll) I've invested quite a bit in my "hobby" I've only ever had one paid assignment. If I was offered a job in photography I'd jump on it but I sure can't start up a business in it. of course everybody's circumstances are different but like I said a service business can thrive when people have money to spend on such services that are not essential and at the moment I don't see alot of money going round
Simon - you have some good photos out there and you have some good technical knowledge as well. But if you go back and read your post, you sound like you've already given up. As one of the previous posts said, whether you think you will succeed or whether you think you won't succeed, you are right.

I know it sounds like "hocus pocus" to think that just "willing" yourself into success will make it happen. You obviously have to do something or it won't happen. But I assure you 100% that most of the people who are successful (at their career, with money, at their marraige or family, or just plain with their life) are not just lucky. They made it happen. And they all had a plan and they kept up hope that one day their goals would be realized.

I'm a commercial pilot. I've flown some pretty cool aircraft over the years. I'm also scared to DEATH of heights! I honestly cannot even get on the roof of my garage without having a panic attack! Why on earth am I a pilot? I love aircraft! I've wanted to fly since I was a kid. I used to think it would never happen because of my fear of heights. But I had a plan...I forced myself to learn. The first time I went up with an instructor I was terrified. But it became obvious right away that my fear of heights was really a fear of FALLING...and in the aircraft, I wasn't falling...I had control over it. Every flight became easier. The rest is history.

You mentioned that there are not very many people out there with discretionary income to spend on photographs. I will ask you a question: can you ever remember a time when someone said, "gosh, there is so much discretionary income in the economy, it's the perfect time to take a risk!" Of course not! The popular media always focus on the negative. But if there was just no way you could ever make it work, how do others do it? People are succeeding every day. Even in a bad economy, people succeed. Weathering the storm is what makes us strong. Steel is made in a furnace, not on the beach.

As for you not having money to start as a photographer....my friend, you already have a great camera and lenses. You are already spending money on prints and taking great photos. You are already in business.

Just need to get together a plan (which is free to do) and learn how to market yourself. You said that you would jump at a job if it was offered to you. For heaven's sake, don't wait for someone to offer you a job. This will most likely never happen! Take control of your destiny! Make a plan. Include in it the path you need to take to learn what you need to learn to succeed. Don't rely on others to offer you a job. Even if you end up working for someone else, you are still contracting yourself...so in a sense you are in business for yourself. Treat yourself right.

...and stay positive!

nav

04-29-2008, 10:15 PM   #32
PDL
Pentaxian

It appears that there are identical threads running with the same title/same name:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-talk/26113-photography-job-suggestions.html

My input (such as it is) from this "other thread" quote:
I would suggest that you get training in business, photography and maybe journalism. If you want to have your own business, then you should understand what it takes to run a business. Running a business is not a function of your ability as a photographer.

Take some journalism courses - learn how to follow, develop and report a story. As photographers we are essentially storytellers - learn how to write, it ain't easy.

Take varied courses in photography, just to get a handle on technique. Remember, there are formats out there that could serve you just as well as your Pentax digital. (Think MF and large format film/digital) There are schools/workshops that teach studio, landscapes, portrait and other types of photography - look for them. Look for grants and sponserships to further your studies.

But remember, when you do get "out there", this will not be a hobby. You will have to grind away, work for people you do not like, work in places you do not care to be in, sweat the details and you have to get up in the morning and do it. No excuses, no mommy to get your breakfast ready, no paid holidays and no summers off. Your work schedule just might be working every normal Holiday that others have off - you will be working.

Now I hate to quote Mr. Rockwell - for several reasons - but he does have some good points here:
How to Become a Professional Photographer
Some of the stuff he says is pure bunk (don't go to schools etc.) but there is some truth in what he says.

Remember, unless you are very-very good, your "Art" will have to wait. The babies, pets, brides, gardens, cars, other people and what they want (and are willing to pay for) will have to come first.

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL

Last edited by PDL; 04-29-2008 at 10:18 PM. Reason: edited my last line
04-30-2008, 03:48 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
Remember, unless you are very-very good, your "Art" will have to wait. The babies, pets, brides, gardens, cars, other people and what they want (and are willing to pay for) will have to come first.
This is true. It's definitely possible to make a living in photography. People do it all the time! But making a living by shooting only those things that you most love to shoot....eh, that's much, much tougher.
04-30-2008, 04:40 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by navcom Quote
Simon - you have some good photos out there and you have some good technical knowledge as well. But if you go back and read your post, you sound like you've already given up. As one of the previous posts said, whether you think you will succeed or whether you think you won't succeed, you are right.

I know it sounds like "hocus pocus" to think that just "willing" yourself into success will make it happen. You obviously have to do something or it won't happen. But I assure you 100% that most of the people who are successful (at their career, with money, at their marraige or family, or just plain with their life) are not just lucky. They made it happen. And they all had a plan and they kept up hope that one day their goals would be realized.

I'm a commercial pilot. I've flown some pretty cool aircraft over the years. I'm also scared to DEATH of heights! I honestly cannot even get on the roof of my garage without having a panic attack! Why on earth am I a pilot? I love aircraft! I've wanted to fly since I was a kid. I used to think it would never happen because of my fear of heights. But I had a plan...I forced myself to learn. The first time I went up with an instructor I was terrified. But it became obvious right away that my fear of heights was really a fear of FALLING...and in the aircraft, I wasn't falling...I had control over it. Every flight became easier. The rest is history.

You mentioned that there are not very many people out there with discretionary income to spend on photographs. I will ask you a question: can you ever remember a time when someone said, "gosh, there is so much discretionary income in the economy, it's the perfect time to take a risk!" Of course not! The popular media always focus on the negative. But if there was just no way you could ever make it work, how do others do it? People are succeeding every day. Even in a bad economy, people succeed. Weathering the storm is what makes us strong. Steel is made in a furnace, not on the beach.

As for you not having money to start as a photographer....my friend, you already have a great camera and lenses. You are already spending money on prints and taking great photos. You are already in business.

Just need to get together a plan (which is free to do) and learn how to market yourself. You said that you would jump at a job if it was offered to you. For heaven's sake, don't wait for someone to offer you a job. This will most likely never happen! Take control of your destiny! Make a plan. Include in it the path you need to take to learn what you need to learn to succeed. Don't rely on others to offer you a job. Even if you end up working for someone else, you are still contracting yourself...so in a sense you are in business for yourself. Treat yourself right.

...and stay positive!

nav

thanks navcom your right people are always short on money at the moment in the UK prices have soared over night I am considering ways of getting my work out and about but I'll have to wait a bit and find out whats available (I've just moved country). I'm not trying to be totaly negative but also keep in with reality