Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-09-2014, 11:24 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Increase ISO or EV?

If your camera says that your light settings are too low for a desired shutter speed and aperature, how do you decide wether to increase the ISO versus increase the EV compensation?

05-09-2014, 11:48 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Even though you can use it as such (and I do) EV compensation is more for .. well compensating... for when you are aiming at getting a different exposure than what the camera calculates (or if your lens over/under expose, or if you want to avoid blowing highlights or loosing details in shadows).
If you increase ISO by one stop, you increase you noise a bit. If you decrease the EV comp to -1, you'll end up having to boost exposure in post, increasing the existing noise. I don't believe that the results are gonna be very different, try it out and see what works best for you.
05-09-2014, 12:26 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I prefer using Manual, then adjusting ISO to maintain either aperture or shutter speed, or both. Then there is no need to reset EV before the next shot. Your screen will show relative EV on the bar. Might want to check exposure on a neutral background to avoid over or under.
05-09-2014, 12:35 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If I understand correctly what you are asking, then you do not properly understand what EV compensation does... I'll explain just to be clear.

There are three ways to play with the exposure : aperture, exposure time and ISO. EV compensation simply plays with these settings (within the possibilities of your current shooting mode) to skew the exposure reading it performed. So for instance in Av mode, it cannot change the aperture but will play with exposure time (or ISO if set to auto) when you change the EV comp setting.

If you change the ISO without changing the EV setting, the camera will adjust the other exposure parameters accordingly to preserve the exposure value.

In other words, if your image is over or under exposed, use the EV comp. If you want to use a different aperture or shutter speed, use the ISO setting to give you wiggle room.

05-09-2014, 12:51 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And to mention, with some Pentax DSLR models changing EV is not possible in M mode.
05-12-2014, 06:40 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RKKS08 Quote
And to mention, with some Pentax DSLR models changing EV is not possible in M mode
That's inevitable. EV compensation skews the metering reading it performed. In manual mode, the camera performs no metering so it cannot change it.
05-12-2014, 03:37 PM   #7
Veteran Member

EV compensation [+/-] in Manual mode is possible with the *istDS, K-7 and K-30/K-50/500. According to the manual so too for the K-3. Which DSLRs isn't it an option?
Perhaps some button customization has removed the option in user settings?
EV compensation is not available in the K-01 in M but that's not a DSLR of course (it's a DSLM).

05-12-2014, 05:11 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
EV compensation [+/-] in Manual mode is possible with the *istDS, K-7 and K-30/K-50/500. According to the manual so too for the K-3. Which DSLRs isn't it an option?.
k100d, which caused me a few minutes of confusion when I recently picked up a k5iis. Why was it overexposing so much from what the meter was indicating in manual mode? Do'h. I had no idea other cameras allowed EV comp in manual mode to bias the meter. They may have left it out of the k100d due to a lack of buttons.

It looks to be unavailable on the k200d too.
05-12-2014, 06:01 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Well, EV compensation allows you to deliberately over/under expose which you can do in manual mode anyway I guess..
05-13-2014, 01:46 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Quoting myself:
QuoteQuote:
And to mention, with some Pentax DSLR models changing EV is not possible in M mode
Both the *istDS and the K200D have a dedicated button for EV setting, and both cameras offer only one wheel. For both cameras, in "M" mode the missing front wheel is simulated by pressing the EV button while using the back wheel.

So, in "M" mode, the EV button is not available for its original purpose.

BUT - while with both cameras EV settings <>0 made in other modes do survive going to "M" in between, they will still be used in "M" mode with the *istDS, but ignored by the K200D. So this is not a question of a "missing button".

However, if the OP has worked with SLRs before making the step to DSLRs, his question is not trivial.

With SLRs changing ISO and changing EV indeed are the same, as ISO settings cannot influence the sensitivity of the film itself. With DSLRs, this is very different - ISO changing modifies the sensitivity of the sensor (please don't argue whether that's true for RAW - this depends on camera model, sensor technology, and firmware).

Last edited by RKKS08; 05-13-2014 at 06:55 AM. Reason: typing
05-13-2014, 06:20 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
EV compensation [+/-] in Manual mode is possible with the *istDS, K-7 and K-30/K-50/500. According to the manual so too for the K-3. Which DSLRs isn't it an option?
The only purpose I see for using the EV control in M mode would be if you wanted to use the green button to get a first guess about exposure.
05-13-2014, 03:22 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
EV comp is a vital part of Pentax Hyper-manual mode. Without it the Hyper-manual would not be the flexible and powerful mode it is now.
Green button for "instant spot meter" is one of the nice features in Hyper-manual, where EV comp is used for tuning the spot meter.
05-13-2014, 04:02 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
EV comp is a vital part of Pentax Hyper-manual mode. Without it the Hyper-manual would not be the flexible and powerful mode it is now.
Green button for "instant spot meter" is one of the nice features in Hyper-manual, where EV comp is used for tuning the spot meter.
The green button does different things depending on the other shooting mode and settings - not necessarily instant 'spot' metering.

Back to the OP's question, it all depends on the shooting mode and other settings, in most cases, changing EV may end up changing ISO (if it is on auto-ISO) or changing shutter speed.