Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 31 Likes Search this Thread
05-17-2014, 06:36 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Macro By Any Means Possible

Hello,
As this Forum moves along, there's sure to be plenty of recommendations for a good modern, dedicated macro lens, like the Tamron 90mm, Sigma 50 and 70mm and the various Pentax versions, the newest being the D FA 100mm f/2.8 Macro.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/122-lens-clubs/129563-macro-lens-club.html
But not everyone has $500-$1,000 to plunk down, or may not be sure their interest in macro justifies such an expense.
Here I've posted five examples of close-up or macro style photos, all taken with different lenses that are under $200 (new), are generally available (two are used-only) and can, under the right conditions, capture macro-like scenes without breaking the bank.
Hopefully, there will be more 'budget' lens suggestions, this is just a start!
(1) DA 50mm f/1.8. K-5, f/5.6, 1/250s, ISO 80, 0.3Ev. The DA fifty has a tendency to generate somewhat busy or nervous bokeh when stopped way down, but here at f/5.6 it's fairly smooth, if not exactly buttery. Detail is very sharp and well-rendered, colors pop with saturation and vibrance. A fine short-tele, too.
(2) Pentax F 35-70mm f/3.5-4.5 w/macro. At around $50 (used), this little gem is a bargain walk-around zoom and the additional macro function at 70mm works pretty well. Note the smooth shadow detail, soft colors and tones, typical of a late film-era lens. A bit of PP brightens it easily and the bokeh is decent at wider apertures, but choppy and nervous stopped down. K-5, f/7.1, 1/100s, ISO 200, 0.3Ev, macro enabled@ 70mm. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/122-lens-clubs/258498-smc-pentax-f-35-70-...cult-club.html
(3) Surprise! The DA 35mm f/2.4, aka Plastic Fantastic, K-5, f/8, 1/250s, ISO 80, -0.7Ev. This low-cost prime continues to amaze me with its capabilities, including close-range work. Great color, vibrance and tonal range, reasonably smooth bokeh and plenty of clarity and contrast. Another good all-arounder.
(4) A sleeper here, the Sears 135mm f/2.8 Macro. K10D, f4.0, 1/2000s, ISO 100. While not the sharpest tool in this shed, it does provide 'the glow' in macro mode, a soft halo around highlights that can be quite beautiful when handled right. For Holiday lights, festive/colorful scenes, heavenly portraits, you get the idea. More photos here; https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/12-post-your-photos/241874-nature-fall-glow-bokeh.html
At under $100 on the used market, a good option, just make sure you get the 'Macro' version, in PK mount. This lens is manual-focus only.
(5) Another sleeper and possibly, surprise, the DA 18-55mm WR. Yes, the humble 'Kit' zoom, the first lens (usually) to get upgraded, but not so fast! At less than full zoom (35-45mm, roughly) and stopped down a bit, it's capable of respectable close-up rendering with good saturation, clarity and color. At smaller apertures (f/8 and above) the bokeh gets pretty jagged and distracting. K-5, 37.5mm, f/5.6, 1/125s, ISO 200.
Those are my picks for macro 'bargains' or sleepers, feel free to comment or add your favorites!
Ron

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 

Last edited by rbefly; 05-17-2014 at 06:47 AM.
05-17-2014, 08:24 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You are 100% right. You don't need a dedicated lens. In my kid/student days, I used to take macro photos with any lens I had. I'd snug up to just about anything with my M-50/2, or my 135mm offbrand POS, and I had a set of three inexpensive Vivitar close-up filters. I used those a LOT and did get some pretty nice photos.
05-17-2014, 08:53 AM - 1 Like   #3

BTW there is already a Lens Club thread (club) by the same title:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/122-lens-clubs/143202-macro-any-means-necessary-club.html

Perhaps the threads should be merged and the club moved to here?
05-17-2014, 09:43 AM - 3 Likes   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No, Not a Number, that one belongs in the Lens Club forum. But can be referenced to, here.

Now, I'm one that makes use of diopter lenses, i.e., closeups. I have an off brand that I have used for years, and in particular Single in Monthly challends, such as the one set below on flickr.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/1photolady/sets/72157627093091512/

These photos were shot using a 50mm lens and three closeup filters, 1, 2, and 4.

Ants feeding:

05-17-2014, 03:26 PM - 3 Likes   #5
Veteran Member

Macro, or close focus filling up the screen, can achieved with:
  • Dedicated macro or close focus lenses
  • Close-up filters that magnify the incoming image
  • Tele-converters, extension tubes, and/or bellows placed in between the lens and camera
  • Digital cropping if you're ok with a loss of pixels.
  • Get a good point and shoot with a macro or close focus setting!
I think you would be surprised what you can get away with by using a P&S with macro focusing capability.
05-17-2014, 04:19 PM   #6
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Now, I'm one that makes use of diopter lenses, i.e., closeups. I have an off brand that I have used for years, and in particular Single in Monthly challends, such as the one set below on flickr.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/1photolady/sets/72157627093091512/

These photos were shot using a 50mm lens and three closeup filters, 1, 2, and 4.
Fine photos here and Flickr. Tell us more about the diopter.
05-17-2014, 04:41 PM - 3 Likes   #7
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Talking close-ups as well as strictly macro, the Pentax-A 50mm f1.7 is a good cheap option. Limitation (without using extension tube or glassless TC) is minimum focusing distance of about 45cm. (The photo below is cropped a little.)

Like the DA 50 f1.8 which Rbefly mentions, the A 50 1.7 makes an excellent portrait and walkaround lens. I also have the DA 50 - it may be a bit sharper than the A 1.7 (especially wide open), but there is something intangible about the images from the A 50 that I really like. And of course the feel and build quality are poles apart.

The plastic fantastics (DA 35 and DA 50) can't be used with extension tubes because they don't have an aperture ring, but they would work well with a glassless TC (which would allow the camera to control the aperture). My dabbling with extension tubes suggests that the TC would be a better option anyway - much easier to use.

BTW the tree in this photo is a Eucalyptus Baxteri (Brown Stringybark). They flower irregularly - on average only about every 7 years!

Attached Images

Last edited by Des; 05-17-2014 at 04:54 PM.
05-17-2014, 08:50 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Site Supporter

If you have any of the Pentax 50mm with the 49mm (most of them) filter ring, get one of these on fleabay. I have 3 the cheapest cost me $10 the most was $15.

I get some fantastic results with my FA 50 1.4.

Also, don't count out going over to m42 screw on lenses and a set of good, solid extension tubes. ( The cheap Chinese ones are two piece and can easily separate and send a lens to the pavement.)

Here's a quick shot I took today in the wind, with a 200 F4 and a full set of tubes. The lens cost me $27 and the tubes another $12, plus S&H, the REAL Pentax adaptor cost another $25. .
Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
05-19-2014, 05:41 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here is an accessible macro contribution:

Original Q + Q for K mount lens adapter + Asahi Pentax Auto Extension Tube #1, and SMC P-FA 35mm ƒ2.0 AL - The Q + Tubes combination is so valuable for close ups, it seems to be my favorite way to use the little guy. i've matched it with A 100/4 macro and manual primes in 28mm / 35mm/ 55mm Focal length. With the old extension tubes manual control Aperture is requried.

05-19-2014, 06:58 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Look at those hairy abdomens! Such detail is amazing. Great job.
05-20-2014, 04:28 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
Hello,
As this Forum moves along, there's sure to be plenty of recommendations for a good modern, dedicated macro lens, like the Tamron 90mm, Sigma 50 and 70mm and the various Pentax versions, the newest being the D FA 100mm f/2.8 Macro.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/122-lens-clubs/129563-macro-lens-club.html
But not everyone has $500-$1,000 to plunk down, or may not be sure their interest in macro justifies such an expense.
Here I've posted five examples of close-up or macro style photos, all taken with different lenses that are under $200 (new), are generally available (two are used-only) and can, under the right conditions, capture macro-like scenes without breaking the bank.
Hopefully, there will be more 'budget' lens suggestions, this is just a start!
(1) DA 50mm f/1.8. K-5, f/5.6, 1/250s, ISO 80, 0.3Ev. The DA fifty has a tendency to generate somewhat busy or nervous bokeh when stopped way down, but here at f/5.6 it's fairly smooth, if not exactly buttery. Detail is very sharp and well-rendered, colors pop with saturation and vibrance. A fine short-tele, too.
(2) Pentax F 35-70mm f/3.5-4.5 w/macro. At around $50 (used), this little gem is a bargain walk-around zoom and the additional macro function at 70mm works pretty well. Note the smooth shadow detail, soft colors and tones, typical of a late film-era lens. A bit of PP brightens it easily and the bokeh is decent at wider apertures, but choppy and nervous stopped down. K-5, f/7.1, 1/100s, ISO 200, 0.3Ev, macro enabled@ 70mm. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/122-lens-clubs/258498-smc-pentax-f-35-70-...cult-club.html
(3) Surprise! The DA 35mm f/2.4, aka Plastic Fantastic, K-5, f/8, 1/250s, ISO 80, -0.7Ev. This low-cost prime continues to amaze me with its capabilities, including close-range work. Great color, vibrance and tonal range, reasonably smooth bokeh and plenty of clarity and contrast. Another good all-arounder.
(4) A sleeper here, the Sears 135mm f/2.8 Macro. K10D, f4.0, 1/2000s, ISO 100. While not the sharpest tool in this shed, it does provide 'the glow' in macro mode, a soft halo around highlights that can be quite beautiful when handled right. For Holiday lights, festive/colorful scenes, heavenly portraits, you get the idea. More photos here; https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/12-post-your-photos/241874-nature-fall-glow-bokeh.html
At under $100 on the used market, a good option, just make sure you get the 'Macro' version, in PK mount. This lens is manual-focus only.
(5) Another sleeper and possibly, surprise, the DA 18-55mm WR. Yes, the humble 'Kit' zoom, the first lens (usually) to get upgraded, but not so fast! At less than full zoom (35-45mm, roughly) and stopped down a bit, it's capable of respectable close-up rendering with good saturation, clarity and color. At smaller apertures (f/8 and above) the bokeh gets pretty jagged and distracting. K-5, 37.5mm, f/5.6, 1/125s, ISO 200.
Those are my picks for macro 'bargains' or sleepers, feel free to comment or add your favorites!
Ron
Nice informative tutorial, Ron. Yes, the plastic 35 is very capable. Also , I have gotten some really decent closeups from the old DA18-55. Although not often used by me it certainly has good value going for it. My old Da50-200 lens which , unofrtunately, I sold also took
VERY FINE close up shots. I sold it cheap to one of my neighbours who bought my K100D. I wanted her to get off to a good start and for $30. it was really a nice gift for her. Freddy
P.S. I have also gotten very nice closeups of flowers with my DA16-45. Some people might not realize the versatility of many of the Pentax lenses. Freddy

---------- Post added 05-20-14 at 07:30 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
Here is an accessible macro contribution:

Original Q + Q for K mount lens adapter + Asahi Pentax Auto Extension Tube #1, and SMC P-FA 35mm ƒ2.0 AL - The Q + Tubes combination is so valuable for close ups, it seems to be my favorite way to use the little guy. i've matched it with A 100/4 macro and manual primes in 28mm / 35mm/ 55mm Focal length. With the old extension tubes manual control Aperture is requried.

Nice bug shot with really cool bokeh, Matt. Good work! Freddy

---------- Post added 05-20-14 at 07:35 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Talking close-ups as well as strictly macro, the Pentax-A 50mm f1.7 is a good cheap option. Limitation (without using extension tube or glassless TC) is minimum focusing distance of about 45cm. (The photo below is cropped a little.)

Like the DA 50 f1.8 which Rbefly mentions, the A 50 1.7 makes an excellent portrait and walkaround lens. I also have the DA 50 - it may be a bit sharper than the A 1.7 (especially wide open), but there is something intangible about the images from the A 50 that I really like. And of course the feel and build quality are poles apart.

The plastic fantastics (DA 35 and DA 50) can't be used with extension tubes because they don't have an aperture ring, but they would work well with a glassless TC (which would allow the camera to control the aperture). My dabbling with extension tubes suggests that the TC would be a better option anyway - much easier to use.

BTW the tree in this photo is a Eucalyptus Baxteri (Brown Stringybark). They flower irregularly - on average only about every 7 years!
Nice stringybark, Des. Show off the character of that lens very well. Freddy
05-20-2014, 05:20 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
More Good Options!

Thanks to Susan, Not a Number, photolady, Boris, Des, shooz, matt and Freddy for the contributions!
With this thread and 'Show Your Macro Rig' and possibly others to come, we'll collect lots of good macro options, tips and techniques in one place.
@Not a Number, I honestly didn't remember the earlier thread, but must have seen and registered it subconciously, because the titles are so similar. But I do agree with photolady, that one belongs in 'Lens Clubs' and we'll probably duplicate some/most of the info here.
This was bound to happen and likely will again. Because Pentax Forums generated so much data earlier, scattered around the various sub-forums (fora?) relating to you-know-what, we're the collection spot now.
Eventually I'd like to see 'Lens samples' available here, too. And links, as you've done, to other relevant threads, available in one place.
And possibly an ongoing Macro Lens Guide with links to Lens Reviews, sample images and user reports.
Anyway, I appreciate all the valuable input and recommendations for lenses, diopters and extensions and I'm sure others will too!
Ron
05-20-2014, 06:38 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
Thanks to Susan, Not a Number, photolady, Boris, Des, shooz, matt and Freddy for the contributions!
With this thread and 'Show Your Macro Rig' and possibly others to come, we'll collect lots of good macro options, tips and techniques in one place.
@Not a Number, I honestly didn't remember the earlier thread, but must have seen and registered it subconciously, because the titles are so similar. But I do agree with photolady, that one belongs in 'Lens Clubs' and we'll probably duplicate some/most of the info here.
This was bound to happen and likely will again. Because Pentax Forums generated so much data earlier, scattered around the various sub-forums (fora?) relating to you-know-what, we're the collection spot now.
Eventually I'd like to see 'Lens samples' available here, too. And links, as you've done, to other relevant threads, available in one place.
And possibly an ongoing Macro Lens Guide with links to Lens Reviews, sample images and user reports.
Anyway, I appreciate all the valuable input and recommendations for lenses, diopters and extensions and I'm sure others will too!
Ron
Yes, I'm starting to really enjoy the new categories being added, Ron. The topic "Lens Samples" appeals to me. Should be very educational. Freddy
P.S. What I love about this forum is that it has such depth!! I learn so much here from so many enthusiasts sharing their excitement and knowledge.
05-20-2014, 08:51 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I know people sneer at them, but I had a set of Vivitar close-up filters purchased in the early 80s which was the only thing I had for Macro. They did a credible job. All of my flower photos from that time look pretty good to my eye. So even though they are the lowest quality and the cheapest, they actually DO work for Macro photography.

Now I have my first ever dedicated macro lenses purchased in our market here and real extension tubes for Pentax (got 'em on Ebay from Japan).

But like anyone else on a budget, consider the filters, they worked for me.
05-20-2014, 10:22 AM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Susan that's how I started in Macro photography, though, at the time I started photography, it was a bit after you, in the 90s while in college. I had a set of Hoya closeups, mine were +!, +2. and +3. All my bee shots and flower shot and other insect shots were taken with these closeups. Now I have a set of Vivitar, that I supplement with another lens I took from a broken Sears 135mm Macro lens. But for those on a budget the closeups do really good. Of course a dedicated Macro is best, they say, I've gotten some really good macros with my setup.

I had a Tamron 90mm but didn't even ike it, so sold to a friend who wanted to try macro. He is also a member here using a K-30. The reason for why I have a K-30 now too along with my K-x.