Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
05-28-2014, 12:02 PM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jac Quote
Note above, jmerchant. As you assemble gear for macros, don't forget a pair of water-proof 'wind-pants' for those early morning days of dew drops or afternoon showers when the sparkles, lights and colours are at their best.
I haven't committed to getting up that early yet...
But I have lain down in wet grass to try and get some shots...

05-28-2014, 01:31 PM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Generally yes, photography makes you more observant, but in some cases I think it can go both ways. In one video, noted macro photographer Thomas Shahan walks along a forest path as someone is conducting an interview of him, and he remarks that he's never noticed a particular cave before because he's always looking down to try to spot jumping spiders as he walks by.

But as I train my powers of observation to discover small insects, what shooting macro has definitely given me is a much better appreciation for the amazing diversity of life that's in our very backyards. For example, I never would have thought that within 3 meters of my backdoor, I could pretty easily observe at least four different species of (minuscule!) jumping spiders, some of them living on/in the very walls of my house! I never suspected that there are so many species of dragonflies and damselflies, or even types of bees. I've now seen and photographed species of flies that I had no idea existed. It's still amazing to me to stop and observe a patch of blooming flowers for a few minutes and to just discover there a richness of life that I had never seen, even though I had casually walked those grounds (or similar ones) countless times before I started shooting macro.
05-29-2014, 10:33 AM   #18

Photos: Gallery
I've always been detail-oriented and have, I think, a good eye for composition. Spending more time with my camera has probably made me even more observant. I could happily spend all of my serious photography time doing macro and various sorts of close-up.

I bought the K-50 specifically for weather-resistance so I wouldn't miss a great shot due to outside conditions. I love the wet clover photo posted several replies back --
QuoteOriginally posted by Paleo Pete Quote
... the same white clover they see in their yards every day. You see it when you walk around and barely even notice it...
05-31-2014, 04:46 PM - 1 Like   #19
Veteran Member

Thanks for the compliments.

I've noticed a lot of small critters too just by sitting there watching flowers, especially the tiny ones no more than a couple of inches off the ground. Bugs no bigger than the numbers on your keyboard...one thing I've seen several times but not been able to photograph is a very small dragonfly looking critter about 3/4 inch long. I've seen them flying around at least a dozen times but have never seen one land. And the Ichneumon, looks a little like a dragonfly but only a half inch long.

And this little guy. I have no idea what it is, but less than 1/4 inch long.

06-26-2014, 03:30 PM   #20
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
On the few macro shots I've taken, I certainly see additional details on the image that I didn't see at the time of taking.
06-27-2014, 05:34 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by EllenJ Quote
I bought the K-50 specifically for weather-resistance so I wouldn't miss a great shot due to outside conditions.
And with live view and focus peaking, you don't have to lay down on the ground!
07-06-2014, 02:57 AM   #22
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by jmerchant Quote
more observant
Having only recently bought a macro lens, I'm certainly seeing and find myself now looking for more, in the this "wee world" to photograph.