Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-30-2008, 02:09 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Thank you all! You've always been here for me!

Today is a very special day for me and I’d like to share it with all of you since you’ve all been here for me and with me through the journey I’ve taken.

I started photography last February, the 9th to be exact, and have spent most of my time on this site learning and conversing with everyone. I’ve honed my skills further and you’ve all supported me and gave me reason to continue it with all of your encouragement.

When I first came to the site all I had to show were some snap shots of squirrels and yard birds, but it all began to snowball when I saw all the great photos from everyone contributing to the site. Guys like Marc (35mmfilmuser), Stu (little laker), Peter (Peter Zack), Hamid (hamidlmt), James (roenterre)and many others were all there in the beginning giving feedback and being just wonderful gents. More recently we’ve seen a wonderful growth in the forum and so many new faces have been here supporting and pushing me forward each and every time I pop onto the site. You’ve all been such wonderful folks and can’t really express how much you’ve all meant to me and my photography.

Recently I’ve begun doing a lot of model photography and taking on weddings here and there. The modeling photography has gone so well I now have girls driving 6hrs away from neighboring states to come shoot with me and my schedule looks like I’m a soccer mom. No really, my schedule is pretty darned close to that of a soccer mom and I feel like one at times… I just wish I could be a hot as one

Thanks to all the business and such I decided to become a business entity and compete in the tough local market as well as all the competition in Chicago and Madison, where the photographers have been doing this much longer than I have and make me look pretty sad, which isn’t hard IMO. A month ago I applied for my business ownership certificate from the state of Illinois and the local county and after the grueling 10 minutes process and one month wait I got the letter in the mail today.

Photography 2.0 is now its own company and can lawfully run my business under said name. I’m so excited and glad it’s over with and I can move on to the next step. Must have my own business checking account and a business credit account, but there is one step I’m looking forward to and it’s the biggest step. Time for a LOAN…..argh! I hate the word, but I don’t have the cash flow to make my business what I want it to be and will need some capitol to do so. Hopefully within the next month or so I’ll stop by the bank and have a long talk about what they want to ring me for and sign my life away.

This is honestly my one shot at having my dream and I hope all goes well. I have a studio location in mind, I know what gear I need, and I know what papers to sign. The last question to answer is can I compete with the big boys and show them a thing or two… luckily for me I have all of you here for support and that’s one trick up my sleeve that I wouldn’t pass up for anything else.

Thank you all so much and continue to help each other out like you’ve always done in the past!

Chris Warkocki
Photography 2.0

04-30-2008, 02:31 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Your welcome Chris, and I must say that I'm honored to be included in your list.
In my opinion yourself, Marc, Peter, James, Hamid, and we can't forget Ben are some of the best photographers around.

I feel that we all owe you you a big thank you as well

You've encouraged anyone whom needed it. Given us all processing tips, and taught us all through your own modeling experience as well.

The truth is I would have never started processing any of my photographs if it wasn't for you telling me something like there's nothing wrong with it

I would really like to wish you well on your new venture, and I know that you'll go far

Keep up the good work Chris.
04-30-2008, 02:39 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Exciting news Chris congratulations! Chasing your dream is something very few of us do and most all of us regret at some point.

Confidence is big part of any business and make sure you keep yours. Just because someone has been at it longer does make them better. Photography in particular is subjective and interpretive to a clients need and each client can be different. It requires a lot of right brain processes - some say these skills cannot be learned I don't know, but I know you have shown creativity that should take you a long way.

Best of luck in your new business and when you are in New York doing your sold out show , remember to mention all us Pentaxian folks back on the forum
04-30-2008, 02:51 PM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congratulations to you Chris for taking that bold step.
I believe you deserve every success and cannot speak highly enough about your work.
And truly, your results speak for themselves - you're busy 'cause you have the X-factor that models are looking for in their portfolio.

I have no doubt you will do really well in your business and studio setup - your passion for photography is so vigorous it's infectious. All the best in getting that loan - sounds like you'll pay it off pretty quickly the way you're going!

So to Chris, a toast to you - for success and continued enjoyment in pursuing your dreams!
Well done.

04-30-2008, 02:52 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Congratulations Chris,

I know that it is a a big scarey step for anyone to take, but I know from what I've seen of your work that you can do it.

You've got a lot of people here rooting for you. Just wish I had the same group when I was your age. Good luck and don't look back.
04-30-2008, 02:53 PM   #6
Veteran Member

As Dave said, that is exciting news Chris. You have a lot of technical skill and creativity so I'm sure your dream will develop into a successful business. I guess the store experience that you have will also be a help on the business skills side.

You've put a lot into the forum, and myself and others have greatly benefitted from your encouragement and advice, so many thanks.

Go for it Chris!

With every wish for your success.

Paul
04-30-2008, 03:52 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Chris your flash photography is amazing ....don't forget to have fun on your journey....Charlie

04-30-2008, 03:53 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I hope everything turns out fine for you. Being your own boss meas all your customers are now your "bosses". It's time to forget "free time" for a while. Either you'll love it or hate it. Hopefully, the former will apply. But, overall, you'll have a lot more opportunities to follow your dreams. I've been there, sometimes felt like crying, but, at the end, it was all worth it.

GOOD LUCK!!!!
04-30-2008, 04:09 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I am very pleased for you Chris...Just try to drool less while shooting and don't forget to wear fresh socks and underwear when you go to the studio.

Ben
04-30-2008, 04:39 PM   #10
Veteran Member

that's awesome - congratulations Chris, and best luck on your continuing adventure.
04-30-2008, 04:47 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Chris,
Congratulations. Keep us posted on your progress. Looking forward to seeing how much farther you will have gone in another year. Best wishes.
04-30-2008, 05:13 PM   #12
Veteran Member

One more round of congratulations, encouragement, and best wishes for the boy! You'll find time for us here, I'm hoping?
04-30-2008, 05:21 PM   #13
Veteran Member

A big Congratulations there Chris, that is GREAT news.

I have no doubt you will knock the socks off your competition, you have an eye for perfection and a drive to get there.

I am of course jealous that you get to work with all those very attractive women....and I hope one day I can do the same. Keep up the great work, and definately keep us in the loop as to what your doing. Seeing what you do drives me (and I'm sure others) to better my craft and improve my quality.

Congrats again

Gaelen
04-30-2008, 05:40 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Way to go! Make us even more proud by getting famous, making money, and basically being a glamour photog.
04-30-2008, 06:07 PM   #15
Veteran Member

congratulations, Chris!

I have only been here a short time and I was very surprised when I read in your post that you have only been at this for a little over a year - I thought from the stuff you've posted that you have been doing it for much longer!

Tim