Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2008, 12:54 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Need help with Pentax Optio!!

Hello everybody I am new here and found this site after a Google search in looking for help!!

Does anyone here have one of the small Pentax Optio cameras? If so, I would really really appreciate your help with something. I have an Optio M40 which is only 5 months old and is dead as a doornail. It was working perfectly two hours ago! I am trying to determine whether its the camera or the battery. I charged the battery only 2 days ago & have only taken about 20 photos since, so I am pretty sure its not the battery.

However just to be sure I put the battery into the charger and the red light is flashing. I need to determine what this means. The manual is useless. Usually I put a flat battery in, the red light comes on and turns off when its full.

Is there someone out there who can put their fully charged battery into their charger and tell me if the light flashes?????

05-02-2008, 09:19 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Not sure about your problem but it sounds like the battery. Does it look the same? Did anything happen to the camera (wet, dropped, cat peed on it, etc)?

Hopefully you'll get some answers, but I don't have that camera.

Try posting this question at DPReview.com on the Pentax (not Pentax SLR) forum. I think they may have more people with experience with your camera.

Good luck!
05-02-2008, 10:36 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Do you have a multimeter so you can check the battery voltage? It does sound like the battery is dead.

You can also check in manual what blinking red light in the charger means.

If your camera is only 5 months old, then I would get another battery to check it out (you can always have a spare) and if the camera still does not work, send it in for repairs under warranty.
05-02-2008, 12:55 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I *think* the flashing light means charging....

Its possible that nothing is wrong.... that you "charged" the battery two days ago.. but it wasnt inserted properly, didnt make a good connection some strange happened... for whatever reason, the battery wasnt charged ...

I *think* the light goes out when its done charging... I have the W30 but I expect the pentax chargers to be consistent.