Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
06-07-2014, 01:44 PM   #1
Forum Member

Need Help, how to make this photo look good

So i took about 250 photos of this family and gave them 60, I had a bunch that turned out great! However they asked specifically for this photo and I just do not like it. I tried b&w but am looking for suggestions on how to make this photo look better. Any help is appreciated! I think I uploaded these pics correctly...

Attached Images

06-07-2014, 02:12 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like the photo with the warmer colors more. Perhaps a vignette/blur effect would make it look better? I would also tighten the crop at the bottom.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-07-2014, 02:46 PM - 1 Like   #3
pqx

I second Adam,

Maybe even a higher crop just below the hands of the young lady, vignetting better though. More intimate!
06-07-2014, 02:54 PM - 1 Like   #4
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I would reduce the exposure and/or saturate the colors some. Also try what is called mid tone sharpening (Google it) and then a regular sharpening (if you have "unsharp mask/filter"). Or whatever sharpening tool you have.

06-07-2014, 05:56 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

how about something like this
Attached Images

06-07-2014, 07:21 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

It's all rather academic as it's very unlikely that anyone is looking at the same photo in the same way as there are so many monitor configurations to consider.
You can line up a row of laptops and a row of desktop monitors and no two will be the same unless they are all calibrated in exactly the same way, even then the chances are you still see differences.
So, what might look too contrasty or dark to one person reading this forum might look to bright and saturated to another (and so on).
But...
QuoteQuote:
However they asked specifically for this photo and I just do not like it.
There's your answer, they like so it matters not that you don't.
06-07-2014, 08:22 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
It's all rather academic as it's very unlikely that anyone is looking at the same photo in the same way as there are so many monitor configurations to consider.
You can line up a row of laptops and a row of desktop monitors and no two will be the same unless they are all calibrated in exactly the same way, even then the chances are you still see differences.
So, what might look too contrasty or dark to one person reading this forum might look to bright and saturated to another (and so on).
But...
Fortunately there are standards to calibrate to. Anyone who's calibrated reasonably well can make meaningful adjustments. He can also view others' photos in an environment that's reasonably representative of the standard that anyone who asks such a question should also care about.

06-07-2014, 08:35 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I agree that the second photo is much better than the first, but you might want to discreetly ask if they want you to crop the bottom so no one asks why her right hand is placed where it is. You could always use Pearsaab's edit as a sample.
06-07-2014, 09:20 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
but you might want to discreetly ask if they want you to crop the bottom so no one asks why her right hand is placed where it is.
Or maybe that's why they think it's so funny!
06-08-2014, 12:51 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
Fortunately there are standards to calibrate to. Anyone who's calibrated reasonably well can make meaningful adjustments. He can also view others' photos in an environment that's reasonably representative of the standard that anyone who asks such a question should also care about.
Yes of course, but with respect, you just summed up what I said.
Point is, variables such as backlit fluorescent or LED, IPS or TN, response times, gamut, bit depth and so on will pretty much guarantee that you will not get the same profiling to produce the exact same colours across all types of monitors [not to mention mobile devices]. And I doubt that most hobby photographers visiting this forum will have calibrated their displays.
It's hard enough getting two of the exact same monitors in a dual display setup to match..
06-08-2014, 03:22 AM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Crop to just the top half of their bodies, and next time, get them to stand further away from the wall. The horizontal lines are distracting, and you need to open up the aperture to isolate them from the background. Just my two bob's worth.

Regards
06-08-2014, 04:18 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Yes of course, but with respect, you just summed up what I said.
Point is, variables such as backlit fluorescent or LED, IPS or TN, response times, gamut, bit depth and so on will pretty much guarantee that you will not get the same profiling to produce the exact same colours across all types of monitors [not to mention mobile devices]. And I doubt that most hobby photographers visiting this forum will have calibrated their displays.
It's hard enough getting two of the exact same monitors in a dual display setup to match..
Naturally we have all these variables, but to me it sounds like you think the exercise is futile. On the contrary, I think it's far from that.

I also wouldn't assume that most people who respond to a thread like this don't calibrate their displays - especially if they take their own editing seriously.

Plus, the propensity of web browsers to default back to sRGB, and the fact that most JPGs use that color space, means that even many uncalibrated devices (including iPads) give a reasonably consistent representation.
06-09-2014, 06:37 PM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for everyone's suggestions! Here is what I came up with, please be honest. I have been studying and working really hard to figure this out. Everyone has to start somewhere and I am will to take the bad to learn. Thanks!

The b&w I made a little grainy to give it more of a film feel, the color one I was just trying to make it not look bad. These pics have been saved for web viewing so...they are not top quality.
Attached Images

06-09-2014, 08:06 PM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's not fair, you selected a third shot that you didn't allow us to see in the original post. This shot is also better composed than the other two, with a much better angle relative to the couple. Ideally you could digitally soften the vinyl siding behind them, but it has to be subtle, not obvious. For the B&W version, you could mask out the background completely and replace it with some patternless gradient background. For the coloured version, is this pretty close to their real skin colour? If no, maybe adjust the tint to be less orange. Assuming you don't have a fourth shot that you haven't shown us, where there is more distance between the couple and the house, and a shallower DOF, they should be happy with this portrait.

Last edited by RGlasel; 06-09-2014 at 08:18 PM.
06-09-2014, 11:13 PM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
That's not fair, you selected a third shot that you didn't allow us to see in the original post.
Not true! The OPs PP software is so amazing it can change angles in 3D with a few easy adjustments!