Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2014, 06:15 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Understanding Golden Hour, Blue Hour and Twilights

I came across this web page and the information along with the explanations were interesting
QuoteQuote:
We all know that light is the crucial element in photography. Understanding how it behaves and the factors that influence it is mandatory.

For sunlight, we can distinguish the following light phases depending on the elevation of the sun: golden hour, blue hour, twilights, daytime and nighttime.

Starting time and duration of these light phases depend on the location you are. This is why it is so important to thoughtfully plan for a right timing when your travel abroad. Predicting them is compulsory in travel photography.

Also, by knowing when each phase occurs and its light conditions, you will be able to assess what type of photography will be most suitable for each moment.

06-09-2014, 11:50 PM   #2
Veteran Member

That's what the Photographer's Ephemeris is for, and a good reason to own a smartphone.
06-10-2014, 03:39 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Yes, this is a features manual for the software utility, and in a number of ways it replicates TPE. That said, if your interests extend into golden and blue hour twilight times, TPE really does not help other than provide rise and set times along with the directions. I thought that the explanations were well done for those who may not understand the terminology. Although not a big fan of photopills, it does provide the additional time information that TPE does not. There are also a number of utilities that provide the information in various ways:
06-10-2014, 07:24 AM   #4
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

At least for me as a non-native speaker of English it's nice to see some explanations of the terminology. Thanks for the link

There's loads of apps for this, but for Android Exsate Golden Hour looks to be a good alternative. Both free and ad free.

06-10-2014, 07:26 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I find the reference pictures that they used to be very helpful. I may not know all the hours locally, but being able to see in real life what is similar to the pictures helps a lot.