Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-10-2014, 08:50 PM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Vermeer's paintings might be 350 year-old color photographs (A Penn and Teller Docume

I think that this is about photography, however the Mods may think differently. So, if its not appropriate here then please move it. I just don't know where it would be most appropriate.
QuoteQuote:
Tim Jenison, a Texas-based inventor, attempts to solve one of the greatest mysteries in the art world: 
How did Dutch master Johannes Vermeer manage to paint so photo-realistically 150 years before the invention of photography? Here's how he conducted his experiment.

06-10-2014, 09:23 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Interesting. I would not mind seeing the full video.
Like his attention to detail and you have admit the final result is pretty consistent with the real thing.

Thanks for posting.
06-10-2014, 10:02 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Spoiler article here.

Johannes Vermeer DID use mirrors and camera obscura for paintings | Mail Online

Painters would also use the camera obscura to get perspective correct. But don't lose sight of the other aspects of technique for example the ability to work with the paint. It's not just about being a good draughtsperson.
06-10-2014, 10:08 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Quite something. I've been seeing the trailers; I'll have to watch the movie!

06-10-2014, 10:31 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Just added this to my Netflix list the other day. Noticed it's made by Penn & Teller.
06-10-2014, 11:46 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
As an artist I find this disappointing if not insulting to a great master.

Vermeer was an artist and excellent artist, The guy in the video makes assumptions to back up his claim that vermeer painted in this fashion he has come up with and they are poor assumptions.

He states that the human eye would not have seen the colours as they were in real life. So for vermeer to have painted what really was there so faithfully he must have used mechanical and optical means.

This is complete rubbish. An artist sees light shade and colour in incredible detail that's why theyr artists. Vermeer was an observer of light shade and colour. he saw subtle nuance of colour shifts most people miss. He then could paint exactly what he saw. That guy needs other means to paint colour correctly Vermeer like most artists did not need that.

Photographers in here have similar gifts ive seen it they can see minute colour imbalance, they can see slight colour balance problems that normal people miss, Its an artists capacity for observation and Vermeer of course had that.

I agree camera obscura existed at the time and Vermeer probably used it in some form as many artists did in his time, but to suggest vermeer was little more than a competent draughtsman is ludicrous.

What this guy is really suggesting is any bloke with a decent eye and the right kit plus a weeks practice with a paintbrush could do as well as vermeer. And he proved that by doing it so in a way hes right. But the assumption that Vermeer actually did it that way is baloney.

Im no master im a humble artist. I nevertheless can produce photorealistic artwork by eye without any equipment. Its called an artists eye, its pretty common in the art world. The better you are as an artist the more realistic your art. That's the way it is, yet this guy states that Vermeer produced photo realistic artwork and then suggests you cant do that without a camera in some form to assist.

The argument is the same that the NASA astronauts never went to the moon. A competent film crew with the right equipment can make movies that look identical to those NASA released of the moon landings. Therefore because it could be done that way that's proof enough for most people that they conned a whole world and actually did it that way. Similar boloney, the astronauts really did go to the moon.

NASA could have made moon landing films in hollywoods back lots but instead they actually stepped up did the deed and went there. Vermeer could have used sophisticated painting by numbers kit that this guy made in the video, but instead he did the deed and painted using his mastery.

Case not proved.
06-11-2014, 08:40 PM   #7

I'm not going to say weather I agree with his conclusions or not but I did enjoy watching this last night after seeing this thread. Pretty interesting.
06-11-2014, 09:52 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's either total rubbish, or an intricate parody a la Penn's singular, twisted wit.

"Artists can't see that." What?! One needs a camera (obscura) to see light drop-off? Oh my.

08-30-2014, 10:26 AM   #9

Another movie. How Vermeer uses light and shadow or soft and sharp focus: