Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 18 Likes Search this Thread
06-22-2014, 06:59 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's so friggin cliche boriscleto... you should be embarrassed taking that crap, and even more embarrassed admitting you took it, ... can I have a print of it for my birthday?

It may be cliche to take it, but last time I took my stuff to a craft sale, it was definitely not cliche to buy it. I mean really what do these guys have against cliches? If people want clichés hanging on their walls, why is that their business? If people want to take cliches, why is that their business?

I understand their gripe. When handing out assignments in class, I would describe that I was expecting, but never show a photo, because if I showed them a photo, all the assignments would come back looking like the sample. So maybe when many see a scene, it reminds me of something they've seen and they try and emulate it.

However, my approach is more... what have I got, what can I do with it. And if that turns out to be a cliche, so be it. You can't really argue with what you're given to work with. Maybe what turns out to be a cliche, turns out that way because that's the best you can do with that setting. Calling something it a cliche, well maybe your choice was either, take a cliche, or take nothing.. if you're a photographer you'll take the cliche. If you're an anti-cliche artist wannabe, who knows? Maybe you take a picture with your out of focus thumb in the foreground cause it's not cliche. I don't know what you do to avoid cliches? These guys don't either.

Last edited by normhead; 06-22-2014 at 05:06 PM.
06-22-2014, 08:00 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
.but watch out; avoiding Clichés can be Cliché.
it can be, but it can also lead you to taking more original pictures. Everyone should shoot the clichés when they are learning. Imitation is a great way to learn the technical aspect of photography.

A lot of what is on the list is the product of weak photography. Borders, star filters, selective color, HDR, over saturation are all effects people add to the image in hopes of making it more interesting. The first Lightroom workshop I attended I was surrounded by people who were all trying to add effects to their images. The guy to my right was working on a image and said "I think it's close, but it just needs something. It's missing something". I think a lot of people know their images are "missing something" and are trying to compensate.
06-22-2014, 08:19 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
These guys are fun and I share many of their complaints. I emphatically agree about blurred water! Water is lovely--it sparkles and dances. Why anyone would want to make it look like a stream of snot is beyond me.
06-22-2014, 08:40 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
These guys are fun and I share many of their complaints. I emphatically agree about blurred water! Water is lovely--it sparkles and dances. Why anyone would want to make it look like a stream of snot is beyond me.
Because it's so hard to get a good image of moving water, it's so messy. I usually start with a full range of exposures, for moving water, from absolutely blurry to absolutely frozen, I can't even find an image on my drive where I saved the frozen in motion water. It's not like I didn't give myself the choice.

QuoteQuote:
it can be, but it can also lead you to taking more original pictures.
As long as you understand, "original" in no way implies "good" or even "bearable".

You guys do realize that what has become "cliche" has become that way because of genetically programmed human biases in perception? We aren't starting with a clean slate.

06-22-2014, 09:33 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
As long as you understand, "original" in no way implies "good" or even "bearable".
You failed to include the qualifier in that statement. I said "MORE original". I realize that original doesn't imply good, but its refreshing to see people at least attempt to be creative.

You guys do realize that what has become "cliche" has become that way because of genetically programmed human biases in perception?
OR because people are lazy and either don't want to put for the effort or lack the vision to see things in different ways.

Everyone should shoot some cotton candy waterfalls just so they know how, and if shooting cotton candy waterfalls makes someone happy then they should shoot lots of them. From a creativity standpoint though, cotton candy waterfalls are pretty low on the list. There are a lot of pretty pictures on the internet, but that doesn't make them creative.
06-22-2014, 10:31 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
"Not by me."
Totally agree with that too. I've taken more than my fair share of shots that I would consider cliche (I love my blurry waterfalls) and had a blast shooting them all, and will continue to do so. That's the part where we enjoy photography subjectively and nobody can take that from us, and we make some great images in the process. The point of the video which I support is that after we've had our many turns at our generic sunset shots that we've all seen a million times, hopefully we can realize that we can also move on from that mode and purpose to take more unique and interesting sunset shots that also have an increased level of interest for others, with boriscleto's cracker dish being the perfect example... Sure we're going to keep making some stuff that isn't earth rattling and somebody else besides ourselves will still enjoy it.. It's all good and I agree it works both ways and while we can all agree that a good picture is a good picture, they are just addressing the obvious, that we have an abundance of this stuff and it's a great idea to make efforts to contribute new and interesting work... . If I ever make it to see the Eiffel tower, I am going to be able to place loads of pictures I've seen of it that are all very similar, and purposely will not take (very many) of those and with that opportunity also try to produce something unique that interests myself and hopefully somebody else, amongst many other possible photographic purposes I might have while I am there...

Last edited by todd; 06-22-2014 at 10:47 AM.
06-22-2014, 01:51 PM   #22
Pentaxian

This is very subjective stuff. Most of his complaints are valid but all of this stuff are things every photographer is going to have to learn to get to that next level. We need to learn to shoot sunsets, waterfalls, panoramas, etc. Yes, there are tons of these shots posted all over the internet every day. But that's how we all learn. In the process, we also learn a little about composition (hopefully) which is really more important than the technical aspects. And some day, I hope this guy finds one of his shots on the front page of some magazine with the credits going to some low life who needs a couple of bucks to feed his crack habit.

06-22-2014, 01:59 PM   #23
Veteran Member

You guys do realize that what has become "cliche" has become that way because of genetically programmed human biases in perception? We aren't starting with a clean slate.
Speaking only for myself I would be thrilled to be able to create an image that would have a resonance with the viewers deepest evolutionary history. If that is "Cliché" I'll take it. The Cave paintings of Altamira come to mind.

What I would want to avoid is pandering to the purely transitory and arbitrary cultural and social norms that the creative process is so often burdened with. A velvet painting of Elvis comes to mind although even this can be done well or badly from a purely craft viewpoint.

Last edited by wildman; 06-22-2014 at 02:14 PM.
06-22-2014, 02:43 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Poor Elvis, I bet there's no way he wanted his crowning achievement for which he's best remembered in the arts, was the Velvet Elvis. It's discussed as an art form. And lazy art as an art form, hmmmm... OK, is was Andy Warhol lazy or original? It's tough to know who's lazy and who's not by looking at their work. Or as Bette Middler once said.. "it costs a lot of money to look this cheap."
06-22-2014, 03:14 PM   #25
Forum Member

Reflections on the water. Trees, houses, mountains.. I've seen plenty of them recently. Plenty enough to seriously start considering as a cliché

Last edited by Dariusz; 06-22-2014 at 10:53 PM.
06-22-2014, 03:26 PM   #26
Veteran Member

as Bette Middler once said.. "it costs a lot of money to look this cheap."
A wise and insightful woman...
06-22-2014, 04:56 PM - 1 Like   #27
Pentaxian

I sposes if you are "seeking to grow" and be original and creative and if you hate cliches, then he might have a few valid points. If you don't particularly care about cliches, and you'd rather just take photos you like, then I'd dismiss everything he says (well, not the selfies)... He comes across as an annoying self-important conceited little twat. IMO, of course.

Jim
06-22-2014, 06:33 PM - 1 Like   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't have a problem with cliches, at least not for myself. I don't do selfies, but the reality is that I shoot for myself, to capture the beautiful world. I'm not an artist and definitely not original, but I sure like some of the things that he doesn't.

Probably the biggest issue I have is with folks that think their photos are awesome, but they just really aren't anything special.

(sunset cliche photo)

06-22-2014, 07:33 PM   #29

Yours does not fit. Not RED sunset!
06-22-2014, 07:40 PM   #30
Veteran Member

There are some good points but he watermarked his video too...