Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 18 Likes Search this Thread
06-21-2014, 09:58 AM - 1 Like   #1
Closed Account

How much of this do you agree with ?

How much of this do you agree with or what do you disagree with ?

06-21-2014, 10:42 AM   #2

First, I have now watched a few of these videos from these guys and I am not sure if I like these guys or hate em. That said, they have some good points.

1 - We can all agree the selfies have to go. Unless she is taking a nude selfie then we might let it pass if she shares.
5 - Text on the photos. God I could not agree more. Unless I was to turn in a 1001 page report in college, then I might add a letter or two just for good measure.
6 - Sunsets! Haha! Been there, done that. Haven't we all?
7 - I can understand the concept of a watermark, but a watermark so big it makes the photo look like a watermark with some color splashes added is stupidly insane. Sad thing, there are a lot of them!
8 - I truly despise photos with borders. There are only two reasons a photo should have a border. 1) Headshot 2) It is in a Frame with a Mat border. Digital borders are for middle aged women pretending to be school girl age.
9 - Never actually tried light painting. May have to get out the old flashlight. Nah, need the batteries for the K-30.
10 - I like selective color used with muted tones -- not so much with B&W.
11 - B&W Art Nudes! Art + Nude = That video guy has to be bouncing the wrong way. lol.
14 - Someone shooting clouds make me cry so hard people think it is raining.
16 - HDR - I reserve a special place in hell for two types of people. 1) The people that PP HDR so bad it looks so fake there is really no photo actually left. 2) Real estate agents that HDR photos of houses they are trying to sell. That and real estate agents that edit in the stock picture of fire into every fireplace shot of the house. I mean for crying out loud, every house does not have the exact same fire in it! Okay that is three...
21 - The photos of poor people used to evoke emotion (or animals for that matter) really piss me off. Buy the guy a sandwich -- don't just take his photo.

Since he could not think of number 25, I will help him out. Photos of cameras. Unless you are selling it or making a photography museum of course.

Last edited by tkj365; 06-21-2014 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Spelling
06-21-2014, 10:46 AM - 1 Like   #3
Forum Member

I don't know about this guy, he plays with a Barbie doll on his desk.
06-21-2014, 05:14 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
This is the Photo Critique area where we are to be discussing user submitted photos, not something from youTube or some other off-site discussion.

06-21-2014, 05:33 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by coboren3 Quote
I don't know about this guy, he plays with a Barbie doll on his desk.
Hey you! No dissing the Plastic Pink Diva. Barbie is always cool. :P As for him, he makes me laugh. He knows how silly he is so it doesn't bother me. I like their videos. They make me laugh and occasionally I actually learn something useful. But I don't agree with all of this, some maybe, but then again I usually don't care what other people think in terms of that. I happen to like filters, borders, playing with colors, black and white. Quite a few of the things he scornfully says are "not cool" are fine by me, shrug.
06-21-2014, 06:05 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Moved to the correct forum by photolady95.
06-21-2014, 06:19 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Very entertaining.... but pointless. I am interested to see his studio show of non-cliche images. All he did was go through every "how to "manual on the planet and say " don't do what this guys did." As Monty Python would say.. "That's not an argument, thats just contradiction." Well, that's all you've got here is, nothing advanced, everything contradicted.

To keep the skit going, one of them should come on and say "Contradiction? No it's not.!"

Last edited by normhead; 06-23-2014 at 07:09 AM.
06-21-2014, 08:00 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Must remember to try the piss stain some time.....

But not a selfie version...
06-21-2014, 09:23 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Pretty much agree with all of them.
Cotton candy water falls and HDR should have been higher on the list.

He is right in that people need to move past these if they want to grow. Photography is about doing what you love, and if you love shooting sunsets or clouds then do it, but after a few years you should be past the cookie cutter cliche shots.
06-22-2014, 12:33 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Totally agree... The last line sums it up well, 'to move on and improve, one has to look further than the photos that everyone else has done millions of times..' At the same time we have to a high tolerance for the cliche stuff because we are all at different places on the learning and ability curves, and it's a tall order to do truly unique, interesting, quality work, especially on a consistent basis. As with any creative endeavor, it's always going to be a combination of doing photography that is to some subjective degree interesting for others or not, and doing photography that is interesting for ourselves or not to some subjective degree.

The one that bugs me the most from their list is the watermark. Yes I also understand the concept, but for me personally, most or all of the time the images aren't anything I want to have any business with, and most the time they are distracting to me visually, and most of the time if they were something I really wanted, I could easily clone them out. In fact, I have a collection of nice photos I use for random rotating backgrounds on my phone and I have occasionally taken the time to clone out the stupid watermarks... (apologies to all you watermarkers...) Second place goes to borders.
06-22-2014, 01:15 AM   #11
Veteran Member

In my country is a saying which describe some situations:

"I have an opinion, but I don't agree with it''

Those guys are generally funny, but I don't think that we have to agree with other people opinions in totality.

So...

Last edited by JimmyDranox; 04-17-2017 at 10:27 PM.
06-22-2014, 01:55 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I was surprised to find I pretty much agree with him...

...but watch out; avoiding Clichés can be Cliché.

Last edited by wildman; 06-22-2014 at 11:54 AM.
06-22-2014, 05:39 AM - 3 Likes   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by todd Quote
Totally agree... The last line sums it up well, 'to move on and improve, one has to look further than the photos that everyone else has done millions of times..'
My wife once remarked about my hobby, "Why do you spend the time and money doing that? It's all been done already."

I could have made a wisecrack about 30 years of needlepoint pillows but I (wisely) refrained. My reply was, "Not by me."
06-22-2014, 06:19 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
My wife once remarked about my hobby, "Why do you spend the time and money doing that? It's all been done already."

I could have made a wisecrack about 30 years of needlepoint pillows but I (wisely) refrained. My reply was, "Not by me."
I'm with you......it's about your own journey.....life that is.

oh....good exercising of appropriate restraint as well!

---------- Post added 06-22-14 at 10:52 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
In my country is a saying which describe some situations:

"I have an opinion, but I don't agree with it''

Those guys are generally funny, but I don't think that we have to agree with other people opinions in totality.

So...
that there sky needs a water mark.....maybe some cloud seeding.....
06-22-2014, 06:53 AM - 3 Likes   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

How's this for cliche? And its already got a fave on Flickr