Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2008, 01:26 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
thumbnails

I'm realled fed up I started out with my K10D and PEF files not beig thumbnailed in windows XP so a bright spark on another forum suggestest a free program by arcsoft that will generate the thumbnails, that was great worked fine then one day bang no more thumbnails, I reinstalled the viewer and got them back now they are gone again and won't return even on reinstalling the viewer, what do I do take this to bill gates in person and ask him why windows is messing with MY stuff ? what is it with thing you never get the perfect solution all round why the hec didn't pentax make their own plug in ? fuji did and i had no problems

05-04-2008, 01:39 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Not the best solution, but I use 'FastStone' image viewer, and it shows 'PEF' thumbnails

Serendipity (Mick)
05-04-2008, 01:40 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I think you could wait till service pack 3. That might introduce RAW file thumbnails.

I use XNView to browse my PEF files. You could also try Picasa.
05-04-2008, 02:17 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have picasa installed can't figure out how to use it guess i will have to use adobe bridge, god i HATE microsoft

05-04-2008, 03:00 PM   #5
PDL
Pentaxian

Why are you blaming MS - why not find out what is going on with Arcsoft. Is it still loaded? Is it being identified as malware by your anti-virus? Was it a trial and the time ran out? Is PEF associated with Arcsoft or is it PPB?

Microsoft introduced WIC (Widows Image Components) in 2006 and that is how Vista is able to use the Pentax produced codec to view PEF thumbnails in the native file system. If you recall, XP was introduced in 2001, now why would you think that they would magically let WIC become enabled in a product that was 5 years old? I would take a hard look at your tool, there are other ones out there too.

In SP3 - WIC might be included, then you could view thumbnails. Other wise - get a new OS.

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL
05-04-2008, 03:03 PM   #6
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
Why are you blaming MS - why not find out what is going on with Arcsoft. Is it still loaded? Is it being identified as malware by your anti-virus? Was it a trial and the time ran out? Is PEF associated with Arcsoft or is it PPB?

Microsoft introduced WIC (Widows Image Components) in 2006 and that is how Vista is able to use the Pentax produced codec to view PEF thumbnails in the native file system. If you recall, XP was introduced in 2001, now why would you think that they would magically let WIC become enabled in a product that was 5 years old? I would take a hard look at your tool, there are other ones out there too.

In SP3 - WIC might be included, then you could view thumbnails. Other wise - get a new OS.

Exactly....
05-04-2008, 03:35 PM   #7
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Try this: Welcome to Digital Picture Magic

05-05-2008, 12:42 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote

the only way to associate a file with with a program is to tell windows to open that file with that program and I can't do that (tried it) because I'm not opening the pef file with the thumbnail viewer in the traditional sense, I think it may have been happening since updating the pentax software but if pentax don't provide a thumbnail viewer why should it. I bougth so crap old fuji camera and with its driver was automatically installed a component that allowed thumbnails to be viewed so why don't pentax do this, in windows I even get rthumbnails of PDF doc and open office docs so windows is integrating with some software why not others ? I mean hec this worked a little while ago why on earth did it just go wrong ?
05-05-2008, 12:45 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
I am a twit thats what I was using not the arcsoft one the arcsoft one would not work on pefs (although it is supposed to) sorry to be a pain but frankly I say again why the hec didn't pentax make the thumbnail viewer they seem to be great at making cameras and useless with software to support their cameras (no I'm not impressed with the pentax raw converter AT ALL)
05-05-2008, 12:47 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thumbnails are back, till the next time something messes with my system and I have to reinstall it
05-05-2008, 07:37 PM   #11
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by simons-photography Quote
I am a twit thats what I was using not the arcsoft one the arcsoft one would not work on pefs (although it is supposed to) sorry to be a pain but frankly I say again why the hec didn't pentax make the thumbnail viewer they seem to be great at making cameras and useless with software to support their cameras (no I'm not impressed with the pentax raw converter AT ALL)
Better they make great cameras than they make great software.
05-07-2008, 01:30 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Better they make great cameras than they make great software.
true fuji can't do either