Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2014, 10:44 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Do you shoot with both eyes open?

I have a habit of keeping my one eye shut when looking into the viewfinder. I recently came across someone who keeps his both eyes open. I tried doing it and while it's okay to keep both eyes open with a normal lens, it needs more practice with longer or the wider lens.

Just wondering, what's the general trend? Do you close your one eye or keep both eyes open looking into viewfinder and composing.

Yusuf

06-23-2014, 10:52 PM - 4 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Once set on framing I close my eyes and press the shutter. I say a little prayer as well.
06-23-2014, 11:01 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
Do you close your one eye or keep both eyes open
I generally close one eye, unless there's some action going on - then I keep both eyes open to see what's heading into frame.
06-23-2014, 11:17 PM   #4

I do it just like shooting a rifle. Close one eye, breathe in, exhale half way pause and squeeze the shutter. Doesn't always work to eliminate shake but it does seem to help with longer lenses.

06-23-2014, 11:18 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I'm right-handed, but left eye dominant; so the view with my right eye open would probably just remind me of the scenic window view from one or two hotel rooms I'd just as soon forget having experienced.

...Ah, which reminds me of an hilarious Basil rant at Fawlty Towers!
06-24-2014, 01:58 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I do. I'm a lefty eye-wise to the point that the scene is a different color when I switch eyes(I asked my Optomertrist and he said not to worry).
06-24-2014, 02:47 AM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Both open is my recommend modus operandi, especially when shooting any sports activities.

06-24-2014, 04:52 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Both open, the left locked on finder
06-24-2014, 05:27 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I used to squeeze my right eye TIGHT shut when shooting. However, while I was doing the month-long Single In March challenge on this forum using my M135/3.5, I started leaving both eyes open. I found that it GREATLY increased the speed at which I could manually focus, maybe because of some sort of added depth perception? It has made focusing manually much faster, which is really important to me, because all of my lenses are manual lenses. :-P

Plus I don't get that little crease by my eyebrow after a bout of shooting...

Now I leave both eyes open whenever possible, although sometimes I have to rotate the camera in a certain way, or light shines in from a particular angle and disrupts this method. I highly recommend everyone try it, especially if you're using manual lenses.
06-24-2014, 05:51 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Both open here, depending on focal length it is easier said than done
06-24-2014, 05:54 AM - 3 Likes   #11

Both closed. Lens cap on. Tons of time saved in PP.
06-24-2014, 06:28 AM   #12
klh
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Both open. It helps me to keep track of movement outside the frame and offers some 3D perspective. But I am right-eye dominant, and I imagine it would be very hard to do if I was the opposite.
06-24-2014, 06:39 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Preferred and dominant are not necessarily the same thing; as a competitive target archer I have learned the difference.

I instinctively put the camera to my left (preferred) eye and close my right (dominant) eye, but when I am shooting rapid motion with a long lens, especially birds in flight, I have trained myself to put the camera to my right eye and track the motion with my left. For archery I go with my dominant eye (and shoot right handed as a result), but I keep the other one open unless it interferes in certain light conditions.
06-24-2014, 06:39 AM   #14
Closed Account

Photos: Albums
Both open, right-eye at the finder.
06-24-2014, 06:45 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As I was obligated to do by army combat trainer decades ago - "both eyes open all the time or you will be dead in no time".
Not that important on macro or landscape shooting, but for wild life it is a must.
Framing a moving target with long lens is much faster if you keep both eyes open.
I'm also left eye dominant, but I have forced myself to use right eye with the camera.