Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-24-2014, 06:36 AM   #1
Veteran Member

How to emphasize color difference?

Using a K30 and the lenses in my signature, I'm attempting to take a picture of two plastic (faux wood) color samples so I can share them via email. The photos I've taken, with and without flash, shows the colors as being much more similar than what I see with my eye. How can I best adjust my camera to best emphasize the differences between these color samples? The photo will be taken indoors, without any sunlight and below either fluorescent or incandescent home lighting.

06-24-2014, 06:45 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If you are using Auto White Balance, look at the color temperature of the two photos, you will probably find that the color temperatures are different because the Auto White Balance wanted to make them look the same. If this is the case, my first suggestion is to make sure your white balance is set correctly for the type of lighting or do a Custom White Balance.

Tim
06-24-2014, 06:48 AM   #3
klh
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm no expert, but my first thought is that fluorescent or incandescent is not the way to go. Fluorescent cycles in color and minor color differences can be difficult to see without the full spectrum of light, so indirect sunlight would probably be best followed by a good strobe or video light. Secondly, I would calibrate the white balance using a gray card, or better yet, something like a Spydercheckr.

Last edited by klh; 06-24-2014 at 09:15 AM.
06-24-2014, 08:07 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Could you post the samples so that we see what the problem is?

Shooting indoors with incandescent or fluorescent lighting without any sunlight is not a problem, in fact a very common practice and a good one because you have a constant, balanced light source. Now, they wonŽt be very powerful so youŽll need a tripod or some kind of support to use the lowest ISO (less noise, better color depth) and slow shutter speed to compensate. Aperture f/5.6 or f/8 for best lens performance. You can use any lens you like, (IŽd choose the one that offers the necessary magnification to fill the frame with the sample) Just make sure to use the same lens for both samples to avoid color differences.
Place the samples one next to each other at 45 degrees pointing upwards and point the camera so that it is parallel to the samples (45 degrees pointing downward and elevated). This way you get the lights to hit the samples, but the reflection wonŽt get to the camera.
Now, if shooting JPEG, set the white balance manually or to the correct preset. The background should look exactly the same in both pictures (to check the white balance is the same in both pictures)

06-24-2014, 09:47 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Don't use AWB. Jpeg profile also affects the colours (maybe try neutral instead of "bright"). In fact, might be best to shoot raw and make the photos look as you see in post (you can use a free raw developer like Gimp, Raw Therapee, or Faststone)

So, place the samples in a well lit area (dunno about your specific lights, but full spectrum lights help. Many modern lights are rather poor for photography, especially LED lights or some energy saving lights). Now mount the lens you want to use, set camera to Av mode and select lowest f-number. Put something white in front of the samples and hit the WB button on the camera and select custom WB. It will take a shot and adjust WB according to the white card (make sure its really white/grey. Printer paper often has a blue sheen to it for example). Now in Av mode switch ISO to 100, f-number to f8, enable 2 sec timer and take photos of your samples.

Edit: Oh, and another complication might be computer monitor calibration. Most monitors are not calibrated, so they show colours a little off. This means one monitor/computer screen might show photos as more orange, another as more blue. This can also affect whether a difference in tones is easily discernible or not. Not much you can do about this other than buying a whole calibration kit, but just keep it in mind. Colours will never be "precise", but they will hopefully represent reality well enough

Last edited by Na Horuk; 06-24-2014 at 09:54 AM.
06-24-2014, 09:34 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Newtophotos Quote
How can I best adjust my camera to best emphasize the differences between these color samples?
You can't. That's not a job for a in camera jpg shot but, rather, a RAW shot with later PP to get the perceptual difference the naked eye sees.

Last edited by wildman; 06-25-2014 at 08:01 AM.
06-26-2014, 12:53 AM   #7
Inactive Account

As klh mentioned, I would also work with a reference. I use the spydercheckr with the cube on it. Having this as reference for post production, it doesn't matter which white balance you set on your camera...

06-26-2014, 08:09 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Edit: Oh, and another complication might be computer monitor calibration. Most monitors are not calibrated, so they show colours a little off. This means one monitor/computer screen might show photos as more orange, another as more blue. This can also affect whether a difference in tones is easily discernible or not. Not much you can do about this other than buying a whole calibration kit, but just keep it in mind. Colours will never be "precise", but they will hopefully represent reality well enough
Just want to add that this applies 100% to the display devices of the people these photos are being emailed to, so your best efforts at getting things accurately can be wiped out by someone looking at the images on a smartphone in bright sunlight or on a CRT monitor that's been subjected to computer speaker magnets sitting on it for the past 15 years.
06-26-2014, 03:35 PM   #9
Veteran Member

You could use a X-Rite Passport Color Checker and create a color profile for the light/camera/lens combination.

X-Rite ColorChecker Passport MSCCPP B&H Photo Video

Create profile for the correct white balance and specifically for your camera sensor/lens combination.
06-26-2014, 03:53 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Newtophotos Quote
Using a K30 and the lenses in my signature, I'm attempting to take a picture of two plastic (faux wood) color samples so I can share them via email. The photos I've taken, with and without flash, shows the colors as being much more similar than what I see with my eye. How can I best adjust my camera to best emphasize the differences between these color samples? The photo will be taken indoors, without any sunlight and below either fluorescent or incandescent home lighting.
Use the P mode