Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2008, 12:25 PM   #16
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Exactly what Lowell said. Use manual (I guess you didn't read my earlier post). You can take the meter reading and as long as you stay in a relatively similar angle to the birds you're fine. Just don't go pointing the camera at the sun.

If for some reason you don't like the manual setting, then use AE-L, Spot meter the bird and lock the exposure. Then compose the shot any way you want to.

I don't mean to be rude but you've gotten some good advice from several members and seem to be stuck in one train of thought. There are a few different ways to get this right but you have to be open to learning and trying things.

Last edited by Peter Zack; 05-12-2008 at 12:16 PM.
05-11-2008, 07:26 PM   #17
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
swan pic

Taken with one hand while i was walking my dog.

Last edited by trumpyman; 05-16-2008 at 04:35 PM.
05-12-2008, 09:59 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
nice but thats brown so no problem with highlights
05-12-2008, 11:06 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Me first, I'm the oldest: Photo by Photographer David Brooks - photo.net

Trumpeter Swan and new arrivals shot last June, 2007.

Hyp P mode with -0.3 dialed in.

Some times with my digital water shots like this, no EV is needed, but there was always some needed when shooting film, like in this case or snow.

Dave

05-12-2008, 12:01 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
I as well will spot meter the brightest part of the bird if at all possible and usually dial in -1/3 Ev. But as with anything you shoot, we are working with light. You have to pick the right times and the right light. Look at Walters magnificent Barn Owl series. That bird is mostly white and he nailed the exposures but the background is good as well because he shot at dusk.

Forget about mid day shooting with a bird that bright if the background is dark and you're looking for balance. Theses examples of Geese shots from last year that were taken early in the morning. Look for a cloudy day with more balanced light or get up early and use the warmer/softer morning light.

Holy cr@*! Sorry Peter, but I was scrolling down and up popped your picture of this goose. The only way I can describe it is: stunning!
05-12-2008, 12:11 PM   #21
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
Holy cr@*! Sorry Peter, but I was scrolling down and up popped your picture of this goose. The only way I can describe it is: stunning!
Funny you should put it that way. You should have seen the bottom of my shoes after chasing these guys around for 90 minutes. Boy do they make a mess!! Thanks for the comment. This was just printed and added to a judged exhibition I'm in at the local arts centre in Charlottetown. The print is better than the post here.
05-12-2008, 12:49 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by simons-photography Quote
nice but thats brown so no problem with highlights
I'm not so sure about no problems.

The "lightest" spot I could find on the swan was about 94 greyscale, or about -1/2 stop from the "neutral" exposure of the metering. the darkest spot I could find was 25 grey scale, about -21/2 stops down from neutral.

My own opinion of this is that while it shows all the detail, is it actually a little too light for a black swan?

I would have expected somewhere to find a small point where the greyscale value was very close to zero.

It is a really difficult trade off between detail and reality. Reference the black bird I posted as well, because it is just as difficult shooting black as itr is white, it is just on the opposite end of the greyscale.

05-12-2008, 02:59 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Funny you should put it that way. You should have seen the bottom of my shoes after chasing these guys around for 90 minutes. Boy do they make a mess!! Thanks for the comment. This was just printed and added to a judged exhibition I'm in at the local arts centre in Charlottetown. The print is better than the post here.
I wish I could say I was thinking that when I wrote it. I can't imaging the print would be better than what I am seeing here. That is impressive! I think if I saw that goose with my own eyes, it wouldn't look as good as it does in the picture I am seeing on my screen.
05-14-2008, 02:35 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I captured this swan recently with my new DA*300mm.

I am not a seasoned wildlife photog, so I was using standart pattern metering and it kept the highlights well down. I used Silkypix to bring up the highlights and increased the contrast to keep the background dark.

I think I will practice some tecniques in the garden with a white football !

05-14-2008, 11:52 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thats a very nice image
05-20-2008, 09:08 PM   #26

My attempt with swans.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K100D  Photo 
05-20-2008, 10:54 PM   #27
Damn Brit

All the swans in England belong to Prince Charles, well the Duchy of Cornwall actually. Maybe he has some ideas about photographing swans, does any one know what kind of camera he shoots with?
I can't help myself, it's been years since I saw a swan, don't see many swans in Nor Cal.
05-23-2008, 01:08 AM   #28
axl
Veteran Member

tricky contidions, huh?

talking about tricky conditions, has anybody sucseeded in photographing black neck swan? I for sure did not.

Last edited by axl; 07-18-2008 at 02:03 AM.