Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-11-2014, 12:14 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Oh ya, back in the good ol' days you'd use those 2 or 3 stop filters for shooting wide open with film on a sunny day

07-11-2014, 12:15 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Michael Piziak Quote
When I look through it, it's about the same as looking through 2 CP filters
Are you sure it doesn't say ND1.0? At any rate, if you can see anything at all when looking through it, it certainly isn't a 10-stop filter.
07-11-2014, 12:35 PM   #18
Veteran Member

ND10 is about 3 stops. It's not the same as a 10 stop filter. That's an ND 1000 (technically 1024). It's like welding glass, except it's expensive.

A moderately cheap variable ND filter can get you 8-9 stops at its darkest setting while still being useful for other stuff. Makes it a lot easier to focus when you can focus, then twist tip it hits the maximum darkness, instead of having to focus then put a filter on.
07-11-2014, 01:06 PM   #19
Closed Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
ND8 is three stops - (2x2x2)

I shot the smoke stack above with ND400 (9stops) and ND8 stacked. Aperture was ƒ16 and shutter was 90 seconds on Bulb mode. I also covered the viewfinder as I've experienced light leaks there in the past with my Kr.

Here is another streaking cloud shot - overlooking the Detroit River

So an ND10 filter certainly isn't a 10 stop nd filter.
I wonder if this filter can at least do waterfalls

Last edited by Michael Piziak; 07-11-2014 at 01:18 PM.
07-11-2014, 02:11 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I like to use ND filters in conjunction with off camera flash for outdoor portraits.
07-11-2014, 02:12 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, easily. You don't need particularly long exposures to get pleasing results (I prefer exposures in the 1/6s to 1/2s range for closer shots, shorter still for longer shots).
07-11-2014, 04:37 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

07-11-2014, 11:34 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Michael you might find this helpful as well
ND Filters Long Exposure Quick Reference Charts and Cheat Sheets | Fine Art Landscape and Travel Photography by Ilya Genkin

Also it's very detailed explanation about ND filters

"The Ultimate Guide To Neutral Density Filters" by Peter Hill | Redbubble
07-12-2014, 03:55 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So an ND10 filter certainly isn't a 10 stop nd filter.
I don't see why not. It really depends on the light situation. You can use ISO 200 or 100 (extended range on the Kr) and that will add a stop - which translates into additional time / slower shutter speed. Most lenses are going to have their sweet spot at f8. Waterfalls are a form of landscapes, so go to f11 - that will provide both excellent depth of field and give you an additional stop. Take an image for comparison, and see what the scene meters at for a shutter speed. Then put on the filter and meter the scene again, which should produce a substantially slower shutter speed.

In this way, you are slowing everything down, to essentially produce the longest shutter speed that you can get. If there is still a lot of light, and you want an even slower shutter speed - longer exposure. Wait till later in the afternoon or early evening.

There isn't a single setting that will produce the best image. Its a matter of some experimentation to find the right combination.

You can also use the filter for ocean/beach scenes - lakes with the waves/water level going up and down. The filter softens all of this. You can try it out on city lights - traffic along freeway overpasses to get the light trails of the head/tail lights. Anything with motion and lights over time.

07-12-2014, 06:58 AM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian

right, as long as the waterfall is not in direct sunlight, often a filter is not needed at all for a smooth water effect. This was late day shade with no filter, 3sec exposure:

07-12-2014, 07:16 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Clouds and a waterfall:

07-12-2014, 09:20 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
right, as long as the waterfall is not in direct sunlight, often a filter is not needed at all for a smooth water effect. This was late day shade with no filter, 3sec exposure:
Ummm... that's just a big ol' bag of gorgeousness, Mike!
Love how the scale is somewhat indeterminable, and you pumped up the shady colors just right.

I could stock up on ND filters and welder's glass and variable-this-and-that, but until you tell me where that is, buy us two plane tickets so you come along to tell me exactly what to do with my damn camera... I will stick with retouching my panoramas!
07-12-2014, 12:48 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Something tells me that its not in the San Francisco area. Wonderful image!!!

07-12-2014, 09:15 PM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Ummm... that's just a big ol' bag of gorgeousness, Mike!
Love how the scale is somewhat indeterminable, and you pumped up the shady colors just right.

I could stock up on ND filters and welder's glass and variable-this-and-that, but until you tell me where that is, buy us two plane tickets so you come along to tell me exactly what to do with my damn camera... I will stick with retouching my panoramas!

oh thanks and glad you like that. This waterfall pic was shot before I got my 645D so now I want to return to re shoot it, so c'mon over!

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Something tells me that its not in the San Francisco area. Wonderful image!!!

Mossbrae Falls in Dunsmuir, CA...google it and find tons of images. it is splendid though a little off the beaten path. These falls run off the south slope of Mt Shasta.

---------- Post added 07-12-2014 at 09:20 PM ----------

hey, can you see this video? let me know:

http://mikeoria.zenfolio.com/img/s9/v86/o728401435/c2/p1559969316-210.mp4
07-13-2014, 05:00 PM   #30
Pentaxian

oh thanks and glad you like that. This waterfall pic was shot before I got my 645D so now I want to return to re shoot it, so c'mon over!
I'll be right over... as soon as Ricoh Canada hands me a 645Z for the weekend!

Yep! Looks like a "target rich environment" for landscapes and even macros!