Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-28-2014, 02:40 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Vivitar AT-7 extension tube question.

Does anyone know if this particular model (AT-7) will fit on Pentax cameras? They are listed as "Auto," so does that mean that they will automatically stop the lens down when the shutter is tripped?

Thanks for any info or opinions on this set. They look very nice and I think I can get them for a very reasonable price.... if they will fit my K2000.

Dewman
SW Idaho

07-28-2014, 04:09 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think the AT-7 set is for Konica. You need the At-22 set. But yes the auto means they have aperture control. There was a set of Pentax tubes at KEH a few days ago for 60 bucks.
07-28-2014, 07:08 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Message sent :
07-28-2014, 05:36 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Auto in this case only means that the aperture will stop down when the shutter is pressed. It does not mean that you will have control of the aperture via the camera body. This means that you can only use a lens with an aperture ring (and not on the A setting).

The only truly auto tube set I have seen is made by Kenko and will run you about $200+ used. The other option is to take the glass out of a true auto teleconverter.

07-28-2014, 05:53 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Hornet Quote
Auto in this case only means that the aperture will stop down when the shutter is pressed. It does not mean that you will have control of the aperture via the camera body. This means that you can only use a lens with an aperture ring (and not on the A setting).

The only truly auto tube set I have seen is made by Kenko and will run you about $200+ used. The other option is to take the glass out of a true auto teleconverter.
Thanks, Hornet. This is the kind of response that tells me what I need to know.

Dewman
SW Idaho
07-29-2014, 04:51 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Glad to be of help. For what it's worth the "auto" Vivitar tubes work perfectly with the older lenses (those with aperture rings) and you will still be able to use the "stop-down" metering via the green button in M mode. When you are using tubes you will likely be using a flash as well so once you figure out the flash distance for the f-stop you choose there really is no need for metering.

I have both the Vivitar and the Kenko tubes and I generally only pull out the Kenkos when I want to use a DA lens.
07-31-2014, 03:24 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Actually you will not be able to use the green button if the tubes are painted or plated. The Vivitar tubes are painted, so you will need to scape them. Most manual lens used for this purpose will not have a A setting anyway. But if it does you can still use it on A, but only wide open, good for dreamy looking close ups in available light. You ask if the auto meant the lens would automatically stop down, and my answer to that was spot on, they will have aperture control, and that's really all you need for macro shots using a flash.

07-31-2014, 04:41 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I stand corrected - thanks for catching that Bluestringer.