Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
08-07-2014, 03:46 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Using monopod with "pancakes" at 1/800 and up?

Does it make any sence to use monopod (tripod) for shooting action at 1/800 and faster shutter speed with some "pancake" type primes like DA 70mm or DA 40mm? Two things come to my mind: 1. The shutter speed is fast enough to eliminate possible camera shaking and 2. The physical dimensions (length) of the lens is so small that little vibration won't cause the front glass of the lens noticeably move (opposed to long telephoto lens that has a decent length from the camera mount to the front glass so little camera vibration could cause a big move of the lens).

08-07-2014, 03:49 AM   #2
Veteran Member

1/800 ? I would never think about using a monopod then... especially not with those focal lengths!
How did you come to that question? Interesting...
08-07-2014, 04:32 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I've used a monopod with little lenses before but only when I was having really low shutter speeds without shake reduction. I was also using a K110D, so high ISO wasn't an option. It looks really silly but it's ok.

But for 1/800, you shouldn't need a pod at ANY focal length. That's fast enough to hold a DA*300.
08-07-2014, 04:34 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wullemaha Quote
1/800 ? I would never think about using a monopod then... especially not with those focal lengths!
How did you come to that question? Interesting...
wullemaha this is exactly what I think - it looks ridiculous, I just needed to prove it Thanks!

08-07-2014, 04:50 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sergey K Quote
wullemaha this is exactly what I think - it looks ridiculous, I just needed to prove it Thanks!
I think the only scenario it would be appropriate would be for motorsports up-close (trackside) panning - not sure if that shutter speed would be too fast anyway, but that would be the only place I could see using those lenses with a monopod.
08-07-2014, 05:55 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
I think the only scenario it would be appropriate would be for motorsports up-close (trackside) panning - not sure if that shutter speed would be too fast anyway, but that would be the only place I could see using those lenses with a monopod.
I would say 1/800 is too fast for panning... that would freeze your frame in most situations.

Here some beginner pans... I guess a good photographer could go slower than me.

1/100:

1/125:

08-07-2014, 06:17 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
At 1/800 you shouldn't need a monopod for any lens, unless it's just heavy. Get out there and snap pictures! Pancakes are tiny and light, don't tether yourself to a monopod.

08-07-2014, 06:53 AM   #8

Original Poster
Here some beginner pans... I guess a good photographer could go slower than me.
Woohoo, that pans are really great, hats off!
08-07-2014, 06:54 AM   #9
Pentaxian

actually, using a monopod with that shutterspeed and those lenses doesn't have to be silly at all.. It depends on the action you will shoot.
Yes, with that shutterpeed and land those lenses, theoretically there is no need for a monopod. But it still can be very handy. You set-up the monopod and camera, and it is constantly at the ready, at the right hight. You are lot quicker to shoot the action again, as you do not have to bring the camera up from your belly to your eye aagain. So for comfort, it could be a good choice.

and as not needing a monopod with 1/800th, well that isn't right either. I have been lucky a few times that I did have my monopod, as even with 1/1000th it would have been almost impossible to get a sharp shot. But the circumstances were bit extreme I have to say.
08-07-2014, 07:12 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Macario Quote
actually, using a monopod with that shutterspeed and those lenses doesn't have to be silly at all.. It depends on the action you will shoot.
Yes, with that shutterpeed and land those lenses, theoretically there is no need for a monopod. But it still can be very handy. You set-up the monopod and camera, and it is constantly at the ready, at the right hight. You are lot quicker to shoot the action again, as you do not have to bring the camera up from your belly to your eye aagain. So for comfort, it could be a good choice.

and as not needing a monopod with 1/800th, well that isn't right either. I have been lucky a few times that I did have my monopod, as even with 1/1000th it would have been almost impossible to get a sharp shot. But the circumstances were bit extreme I have to say.
Macario, deep inside I knew there should be someboby who tells me using monopod with those lenses it's not as ridiculous as it seems

Well, definitely it's a bit more comfortable and at least monopode will help to keep the constant height/shooting point plus it takes the weight of the camera so all-day shooting would be more easy.
08-07-2014, 07:21 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Woohoo, that pans are really great, hats off!
thx :-)

Macario, deep inside I knew there should be someboby who tells me using monopod with those lenses it's not as ridiculous as it seems
Ah sorry if you got my input wrong - I just could not think of a situation from my experience... but let's never say anything you try in photography is ridiculous! Whatever works for you! :-)
08-07-2014, 07:39 AM   #12

Original Poster
but let's never say anything you try in photography is ridiculous! Whatever works for you! :-)
Totally agree! And I haven't got your input wrong - you've got a point, of course.

I wonder if you did those pans with no additional camera support - there is no visible Y-axis shift at all!

P.S. I started to discover EXIF data of your Super GT 2014 pans on Flickr but ended up staring at those team girls...

Last edited by Sergey K; 08-07-2014 at 07:45 AM.
08-07-2014, 08:41 AM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

It may look ridiculous to monopod mount a camera with pancake attached, but if the light and subject demands it, that is what you have to do. The compactness of the lens is not a consideration.

Steve
08-07-2014, 03:39 PM - 2 Likes   #14
Pentaxian

I want you all to know that I am capable of producing motion blur at ANY shutter speed and ANY lens and I have the crappy shots to prove it.
08-07-2014, 04:14 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I wonder if you did those pans with no additional camera support - there is no visible Y-axis shift at all!
Yes, 100% handheld. I have to admit though, that not all shots came out great on the first try ;-)
The good thing in motorsports is, that you can figure out which shot you want, go into position, and then try the panning with many cars per round, and there are many rounds to follow...
My keeper rate was at about 10% I would estimate.

P.S. I started to discover EXIF data of your Super GT 2014 pans on Flickr but ended up staring at those team girls...
Haha ^^ Will be at Fuji Speedway this Sunday.
Let's see if I find interesting scenes again...

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
I want you all to know that I am capable of producing motion blur at ANY shutter speed and ANY lens and I have the crappy shots to prove it.
Hahaha:-)