Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 73 Likes Search this Thread
01-28-2015, 08:33 AM - 2 Likes   #151
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Floating Cartridge Case

Shot with K5, Vivitar 55mm 2.8 Macro 1:1, Sunpak ring flash...............

Last edited by bluestringer; 03-08-2015 at 06:50 PM.
02-01-2015, 09:36 AM   #152

Just a couple of experimental shots. Marbles on acrylic cubes with LED lights under and around..
maria
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
02-03-2015, 07:43 AM - 2 Likes   #153
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Fun thread.

Zipper

Chopstick (can someone translate?)

Decoration

House key

Last edited by audiobomber; 02-04-2015 at 10:04 PM.
02-03-2015, 08:50 AM   #154
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Decoration (my wife and I both thought this ball was covered in feathers. Only after seeing it blown up did we realize it is actually thread.)
Sure looks like a feather to me.

02-03-2015, 08:54 AM   #155
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
Sure looks like a feather to me.
I just examined very closely. You're right, it's covered in small feathers.
02-03-2015, 05:24 PM   #156
Pentaxian

@ audiobomber Perhaps something redundant like 'caution do not stick in eye socket'.
02-05-2015, 08:55 PM   #157
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
@ audiobomber Perhaps something redundant like 'caution do not stick in eye socket'.
LOL! Stupid round-eyes.

02-15-2015, 10:38 PM - 1 Like   #158

QuoteOriginally posted by esrandall Quote
A Honey Nut Cheerio. Not terribly exciting, but makes me shiver at the amount of sugar glaze on it, whenever I look at the picture
A few more marbles and lights.
maria
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
02-23-2015, 03:26 PM - 3 Likes   #159
Pentaxian

From the kitchen regions

In households that produce marmelade and jam themselves, you will ofthen find one or both of these ingredients as amorphous powder: Tartric Acid and Citric Acid. Now, dissolve a small portion in hot water and let some drops of the solution dry on a plane piece of glass (slide frames are just perfect).

You get a somewhat boring sample like this:

but then the fun begins when you photograph your samples in cross-polarized light:

Tartric Acid:

Citric Acid:

Images taken with Pentax K-3 and D-FA 1:2.8 100mm WR.
02-23-2015, 06:30 PM   #160

QuoteOriginally posted by Stone G. Quote
In households that produce marmelade and jam themselves, you will ofthen find one or both of these ingredients as amorphous powder: Tartric Acid and Citric Acid. Now, dissolve a small portion in hot water and let some drops of the solution dry on a plane piece of glass (slide frames are just perfect).

but then the fun begins when you photograph your samples in cross-polarized light:

Tartric Acid:

Citric Acid:

Wow! those are interesting. If you add salt or something I wonder if it would have an effect. I shall have to try that. I really like the shard like areas.
thank you
maria
02-24-2015, 02:56 AM   #161
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mariakruse Quote
Wow! those are interesting. If you add salt or something I wonder if it would have an effect. I shall have to try that. I really like the shard like areas. thank you maria

Thank you Maria. I imagine that if you mix such acids with soda (sodium carbonate) or potash (potassium carbonate) you could end up with some interesting(?) metallic salts. If you mix with with kitchen salt (sodium chloride) you will more likely end up with some "messy" mix of crystals - which could also be interesting, though.

Looking forward to seeing your results if/when you make some experiments! I guess that I shall also have to try such mixtures soon........
02-24-2015, 10:02 PM   #162
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Stone G. Quote

Tartric Acid:

Citric Acid:

Tropical butterflies in a wild melee.
03-11-2015, 09:00 PM   #163
Site Supporter

Seascape in a Pickle Jar

The unusual needs bump.

A 100 F 4 Macro
03-20-2015, 02:20 PM - 2 Likes   #164
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Can't decide whether this fits more into the unusual category or the abstract category. I think it fits both places, but I came to this thread first so I'll put it here. You have to admit this 1:1 macro does make a good abstract. It's hard to say exactly what it is, isn't it? I liked the feeling of texture when I saw the picture.

A little further away and you might begin to get the idea that this neat texture and pretty abstract might not be so "neat" and "pretty" and might indicate something that isn't going to make you smile. But it's still interesting.

Finally, going out far enough to show the disaster it really was. This is not how you want a 30" Dell monitor to look.

The only good thing about this picture was that I didn't break it, someone from our IS department did. So I didn't feel guilty at all spending a few minutes taking pictures.
03-20-2015, 06:24 PM   #165

That was interesting. Really. I would never have guessed. Bravo to you for the capture.
maria