Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-16-2014, 01:54 AM   #1

Help! Most used/best Custom Image setting for K-3?

For K-3, what should be the most common Custom Image setting?
In which scenarios should the Custom Image be used? Portrait and Landscape are obvious choices, what about the others? I am using it in Natural mode but itís not giving me optimal results. Iím using it most of the indoors under natural light conditions ( light coming from windows and curtains).

08-16-2014, 02:22 AM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is no best setting- it depends on your taste and your needs.

A quick comparison of the different presets can be found here:
Pentax K-3 Review - General Image Quality - In-Depth Reviews

What I'd recommend is for you to take a image in raw, open it in the Pentax desktop software, and play with the presets and sliders until you get a "Custom Image" that you like. Then, configure the same settings in your camera and shoot away

I generally start with vivid, because it makes the colors pop and sometimes lets me skip raw conversion. Natural is fairly dull so I'd avoid that unless you plan on doing plenty of JPEG PP.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-16-2014, 02:40 AM   #3
Insanely humble
Loyal Site Supporter

All good advice from Adam. Of course, if you had planned to PP your jpegs anyway you would have been much better off shooting raw instead.
08-16-2014, 07:19 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I'm not sure what the target usage is for the "Natural" setting but in all the years I have been shooting I have never found it. It just renders everything so blah.

08-16-2014, 07:27 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks to all for the useful comments.
I have just posted my first pic (https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/41-photo-critique/270456-macro-tea-cup.html#post2909141).
I used Custom Image setting: Natural.