Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-18-2014, 06:22 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Liney Quote
Like Todd I do most of my work with RAWTherapee and GIMP, but I use Picasa for managing the shots
RT is getting so good these days. they have me checking for new betas every day. 😊

08-18-2014, 07:03 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In order: Lightroom (>95% of everything), Silver Efex (and less frequently the other Nik plugins), Hugin, Zerene stacker, and very rarely Photoshop.
09-19-2014, 08:35 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I like CaptureOne more than lightroom. I found the quality of shots from CaptureOne to be subjectively better, especially when it comes to color. The problem is that it is very pricey. Their basic 'express' version doesn't have local adjustments and it's a bit of a problem and the Pro version is just not viable. Lightroom and Photoshop both cost $10 a month, whereas C1 Pro is $10 by itself.
09-19-2014, 10:46 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Camera Raw and Photoshop here mostly. I've been using them so long it's like breathing. Anything else just ends up annoying me. I have used just about everything to learn it. I am completely cross platform trained, I just happen to like CR/PS as my thing. I have it but I don't like LR much at all. I do use Illustrator and Corel Painter sometimes for drawing and that and I do like FX Home for green screen work, it makes fast work of isolating backgrounds, but I use that more as a plug for PS than I do by itself. I have a ton of plugs including most of the majors, On One, Topaz, Nik, Alien Skin, etc but I tend to work more within Photoshop than with outside applications. 75% of what I can do I can do in CR the rest, I do Photoshop usually. LR, Painter do have some things I find useful, but I can still do almost all of it in PS, Illustrator, if not natively than with a plug. Most of the time I just use those.

09-20-2014, 03:53 AM   #20
Veteran Member

ACR/PS+NIK suite+Noiseware for 99 percent of what I do.
09-20-2014, 04:11 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use LightRoom at home on the Mac as well as on the PC when I travel, though I don't like it much on the PC. I use Aperture for anything that is getting published straight to the web and won't need printing later because it saves several steps. Also, if I want to create a portfolio catalog to display on the iPad, Aperture is the way to go. I will miss it when it is gone. I have used PhotoShop since version 2, but lately I have been using Gimp for composites and other chop-it-up layer manipulation stuff. It will do everything PhotoShop will do, but if you are already PhotoShop-trained, Gimp will give you some frustration for the first few hours while you discover how different it is.
09-23-2014, 08:38 AM   #22
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't see many using "Topaz"; I just downloaded a free trial, and so far am liking what I see. Any opinions?
09-23-2014, 12:17 PM   #23

I just started trying out shooting in raw format a couple days ago. So I've been trying to find a PP app myself (PP = post processing I guess)

1. Lightroom will cost you 9.99 a month as I understand. I'm an amateur, and wont need this enough to justify that.
2. My K110D came with a disk, the program is called Pentax Laboratory I think. Its a lot to take in and figure out. The 'tone' panel confuses me the most.
3. I found this wiki page and it has lots of apps mentioned to try. I'm looking them over:
Raw image format - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'll keep reading this thread for any other recomendations/info.

09-23-2014, 01:18 PM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jack002 Quote
You should also check this thread, some people did list a bunch of lesser known RAW editors.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-pentax-beginners-corner-q/273703-shoul...ml#post2952502
09-23-2014, 01:58 PM   #25

Rawtherapee and GIMP for me too. Digikam to manage photos.
09-23-2014, 02:13 PM   #26
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter

Lightroom will cost you 9.99 a month as I understand
I think you'll find for that price you get both LR, LR Mobile and PS CC 2014.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 10-08-2014 at 04:57 AM.
09-26-2014, 08:59 PM   #27
Veteran Member

I just started trying out shooting in raw format a couple days ago. So I've been trying to find a PP app myself (PP = post processing I guess)

1. Lightroom will cost you 9.99 a month as I understand. I'm an amateur, and wont need this enough to justify that.
2. My K110D came with a disk, the program is called Pentax Laboratory I think. Its a lot to take in and figure out. The 'tone' panel confuses me the most.
3. I found this wiki page and it has lots of apps mentioned to try. I'm looking them over:
Raw image format - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think it's worth it. But you can also buy Lightroom for some 80 bucks, just look through slickdeals.
09-27-2014, 05:19 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Lightroom 5.6, Photoshop CC 2014, Topaz , Portrait Pro, Perfect effects 8.

PS currently both Lightroom 5.6 and Photoshop CC 2014 come in that package for $9.99 per month. The great thing is you get any addition updates major or minor without additional cost. Having used and bought several ugrades for Photoshop at a considerable cost to me this is a much more affordable way to go.

Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 09-27-2014 at 05:26 AM.
09-28-2014, 03:03 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Lightzone is becoming my most-used app for processing. Free/open-source, and I find it does as well as my trial of Lightroom (or at worst, near enough that I simply cannot see a need to fork out any money for the latter).

Otherwise I have a boat-load of photography apps on my iPad, two of which get the most use: Photogene (mostly) and Snapseed (more than I used to).
09-28-2014, 09:58 AM   #30
Veteran Member

I use dxo optics pro for initial raw processing and finish up with pse.