Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
08-25-2014, 01:39 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
For all forum members

I would like all forum members to know that I never expected such a response to my question. There are many excellent responses, which made my decision easier.

Regarding type of camera: will keep the k-5 for a while and then upgrade to K-5IIs or K-3. Also will look for a smaller camera to have with me when I’m on regular activities.

Regarding photo taking techniques: will be looking for some online tutorials, memorize B. Peterson’s Understanding Exposure, and go on some excursions with the primary objective of taking photos in varying conditions.

Regarding Photo Processing: will shoot RAW + JPEG and use the JPEG out of camera for image selection, etc.. Do research to determine best camera settings for JPEG. RAW will be stored for future use. Will continue to use Silky Pix Developer Pro for RAW conversion whenever the urge or need arises. At some point in time will look at Photo Editors such as Lightroom, Pixelmator (I have a MAC), Elements etc..

To conclude, both the taking of, and the processing/editing of, the photos are important; but the first one is essential; therefore I will concentrate on my photo taking techniques. Then, if I have some worthwhile images, I can break out the RAW file and give post processing a go.

Finally, I’m leaving this keyboard to go out and take some photos, and invite all of you to do the same.

Again, I thank you all very much, and regards,
Earl

08-25-2014, 06:00 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by merengue Quote
I would like all forum members to know that I never expected such a response to my question.

Finally, I’m leaving this keyboard to go out and take some photos, and invite all of you to do the same.

Earl
You've hit the nail on the head Earl - We need to get out and get those shots!
Good luck!

Kind regards,
Mark
08-25-2014, 07:27 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I say you can't go wrong with 50/50 in each one.
08-27-2014, 02:38 PM   #19

Earl i can tell you'r sorted in the priority department the simple way to look at it is unless you go out and snap away you won't have anything to Use PP on and my tip for the "smaller camera to bring on every day activities" get yourself a K-50 and the 50mm WR and you got a "small" kit that's easy to bring along but still a full blooded DSLR with everything you might want from a camera
Cya in a couple of years

08-29-2014, 07:31 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here's how I approach 90% of my photography: K5 in TAv mode, set aperture for a good picture (stopped down a fair bit) and adjust shutter speed to keep ISO in a comfortable range - 200-1600 for general shooting. That helps keep you from under or overexposing, and means you don't need to do more than use the two wheels as your adjustment (and mostly just the shutter speed).

As mentioned above, most post-process is cropping and once in a while adjusting exposure and/or contrast. If you shoot RAW you have a lot of room to work with. I haven't directly compared my processing vs. the camera's jpg engine in a while, it's probably something I should do just to see how that predicts what I want to see.

Oh, and make sure you have a second hard drive as a backup. That's super important and not so expensive these days, whether external or internal drive.
08-29-2014, 10:58 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by merengue Quote
I am a senior with limited experience in photography and would like to take advantage of these years left to leave a few images of interest to my family and friends. I have a question which is not easy to answer, but I must throw it out there in hopes the answers will guide me.

Introduction: I assume if one is very capable of taking images, then processing could be simple; on the other if one is very capable in processing, the image as taken is less important.

Question is: Assuming I have one year to get my act together; should I dedicate my time to improve my capability in camera usage in order to obtain the best image possible, or use this time to learn processing of images that I take. I don’t think I am capable of doing both at an acceptable level since I am now 78.

Any input is welcome.

Regards,
Earl
Personally if you are better taking photos, you will spend less time post processing so in the end, taking better photos is the way to go