Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2008, 05:49 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DanLoc78 Quote
Rosemary, you'll have to give me a couple of pointers if you don't mind. My buddy is in a band so I'm going to go shoot his band sometime. I have no idea how in the low light to get really quality shots without using flash.
I am not an expert on this but did casually shoot an up-and-coming young band a couple weeks back. Four shots are on Flixkr. The group like them enough to want to use them on their website. This despite the fact they always have friends shooting gigs.

I used what I had on me. The Cosina 100mm was always wide open at f/3.5. I got up onto a balcony for some shots of the whole group, but that didn't prove so useful. Everything I used was shot as close as possible. Of course the FA 43mm proved better at capturing light, but I had to be careful to preserve some DOF.

The two big issues are motion blur and focus. Sometimes one can use the blur creatively, and since it is a concert people don't expect the shots to be crystal clear. But focus was difficult enough. I suggest getting focus when the lights are bright and it is easier, then locking it in (switch to MF) and shooting moodier shots as the light changes, knowing you've got the right focal plane. Of course with moving performers this is not a perfect solution.

With changing lights you also have to watch exposure closely. The nice full colours that allow these shots to convey the spirit of the band came about only because I had a good histogram curve happening. I shot in Av with my exposure adjustment finger working up a sweat.

The floor was not full so I had no problem moving around. At a packed gig you might need to get into the press section. And, as always, it pays to know your venue ahead of time.