Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2008, 06:00 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
It would be quite a good idea for Pentax to do that annually, Pentaxian of the year. Maybe just for the best post here, or best idea for firmware/hardware update, or anything really.

Well done that man.
Thank you very much.

I agree that Pentax should do this on a regular yearly basis, but not just to a one off recipient, but maybe for a range of areas in which to win a prize.

05-12-2008, 11:52 PM   #32
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
wow, great shots, great sharpness and clarity. Has there been done any PPing? or are they straight out of camera? If latter, it seems that K20D + DA*300 is one stunning combo...
05-12-2008, 11:57 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Lance, congratulations once again on the award and the goodies. Now, thanks for posting some examples of the goods those goodies can deliver. Your sample photos show excellent detail, color, and nice, creamy backgrounds. You've made it quite evident what Pentax can deliver when it takes care to build cameras and lenses the way we Pentaxians know it can. Good on ya!
05-13-2008, 11:36 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
wow, great shots, great sharpness and clarity. Has there been done any PPing? or are they straight out of camera? If latter, it seems that K20D + DA*300 is one stunning combo...

Thank you very much for the nice comments, Peter.

They were shot in RAW, processed in Capture One 4 and saved to TIFF. In Photoshop, they were resized sharpened and then saved as jpeg.

05-13-2008, 11:38 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by christinelandon Quote
Lance, congratulations once again on the award and the goodies. Now, thanks for posting some examples of the goods those goodies can deliver. Your sample photos show excellent detail, color, and nice, creamy backgrounds. You've made it quite evident what Pentax can deliver when it takes care to build cameras and lenses the way we Pentaxians know it can. Good on ya!
Thank you very much for your very nice comments, Christine.

Pentax are certainly making great headway with their lenses and they are starting to remind me very much of their FA* line-up. Makes it easy to get good photos when you have this quality available.
05-14-2008, 12:51 AM   #36
Veteran Member

^^^ I trust all went well on your day trip with your overseas friend ?
Day out on the harbour

cheers
05-14-2008, 01:25 AM   #37
Veteran Member

I really need to get some time to pull the pics off my camera.
I got some keepers ... more talking than photography in the morning
Was a good day for it ... weather was awesome ... harbour was hazy though.

05-14-2008, 03:48 AM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great shots, especially the dog and the gull. The dog is so sharp !
05-14-2008, 05:24 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Wow I had heard you coined that term and to have it recognized and rewarded by Pentax is indeed an honor. Those pics are outstanding. I may 'need' that lens soon. Congratulations!
05-14-2008, 06:36 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cupic Quote
^^^ I trust all went well on your day trip with your overseas friend ?
Day out on the harbour

cheers
Yes the day was fantastic.

As some may have read, Christian of the Netherlands - SpaceDoc from this forum - was visiting Australia on a business/holiday trip over the past 4 weeks. I offered to show him around Sydney, after his conference finished, and organise a photo shoot with some of the Sydney chapter of the DPReview forum.

The Sydney chapter consisted of Guy(Guy M), Mike(MikeAusA200), Simon(Mechan1K) and myself. We met at 9am near the ferry terminal at Circular Quay, Sydney and the 5 of us wandered off towards the Sydney Harbour Bridge talking photography and taking photos.

On our way, we ran into a young guy, Russell, with a Canon 450D(?) from Manchester, England who had just flown into Sydney at 5am that morning. Russell seemed like a nice young fellow(even though he was a Canon shooter) ;-) and seeing as he was alone in strange city and was a photographer we asked if he would like to join us for the days photoshoot. He said he'd love to. Let the fun begin. ;-)

It turned out a fantastic day. We had lots of fun and laughs, usually at Russell's expense jibing him about owning a Canon and being English, but he was giving as good as he got and he was also enjoying the time with us.

I handed out LBA stickers to the group, that I had received from Pentax a few years ago, and even gave one to Russell. When at lunch, Christian even got a photo of Russell with the LBA sticker placed on his Canon camera!

We made the remark that Russell will put a big line through the map of Australia and write Pentaxia over it instead and vow never to return for fear of being accosted by maniac Pentax shooters. He was really good natured about it and helped make the day a fun day for all. We swapped email addresses, so we may hopefully get him to drop into our forum when he gets back home and talk about his Pentax experience even though it must have been scary for him. ;-)

Christian was a real fun guy, great to be with and very enthusiastic about many things that he talked about and loves his photography. He is actually a German living in the Netherlands due to his work.
05-14-2008, 06:36 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Great shots, especially the dog and the gull. The dog is so sharp !
Thank you very much for your very nice comments, Peter. It makes it easy to get good pics with this lens!
05-14-2008, 06:38 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Wow I had heard you coined that term and to have it recognized and rewarded by Pentax is indeed an honor. Those pics are outstanding. I may 'need' that lens soon. Congratulations!
Thank you for the words on congratulations and for your nice comments on the photos, Dave. Much appreciated.

I cannot recommend it highly enough.
05-14-2008, 06:45 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mechan1k Quote
I really need to get some time to pull the pics off my camera.
I got some keepers ... more talking than photography in the morning
Was a good day for it ... weather was awesome ... harbour was hazy though.
It was great to have you along to share the day, Simon.
05-14-2008, 07:53 PM   #44
AML

Congrats on the award and the nice little gifts given to you, Lance.
It sounds like you Sydney guys had a wonderful day out. It's a real shame i couldn't make it, wasn't meant to be this time around.

Lance, i love your shots with the new lens, especially the dog shot, that's my fav.
As soon as i saw the quality of these pics, it was an instant "WOW" what a great lens i'd love to own that! It won't happen as it's way out of my budget, but the point is, i haven't had a zoom lens affect me to such a degree.
I have looked at many peoples shots with the new DA 55-300mm, and while the shots are good and the colours look nice, i still hesitantly wonder if i should buy it or not. I can't put my finger on it yet, but there's just something missing with the 55-300mm, in my eyes it makes it an ok lens but not something i would instantly order.

With the cost of the DA* lens i will need to either -
a.) starve for awhile and save my pennies religiously or
b.) win some money in lotto or powerball to purchase this lens.

Sorry for digressing and waffling on. Once again, a big heart felt congrats from the north side of the harbour!
05-14-2008, 11:31 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AML Quote
Congrats on the award and the nice little gifts given to you, Lance.
It sounds like you Sydney guys had a wonderful day out. It's a real shame i couldn't make it, wasn't meant to be this time around.
Thank you very much for your congratulatory words, Anne. Much appreciated.

QuoteQuote:
Lance, i love your shots with the new lens, especially the dog shot, that's my fav.
As soon as i saw the quality of these pics, it was an instant "WOW" what a great lens i'd love to own that! It won't happen as it's way out of my budget, but the point is, i haven't had a zoom lens affect me to such a degree.
Thank you for your nice comments on my photos, too. Having the DA*300 certainly makes it easier to get good photos!

QuoteQuote:
I have looked at many peoples shots with the new DA 55-300mm, and while the shots are good and the colours look nice, i still hesitantly wonder if i should buy it or not. I can't put my finger on it yet, but there's just something missing with the 55-300mm, in my eyes it makes it an ok lens but not something i would instantly order.

With the cost of the DA* lens i will need to either -
a.) starve for awhile and save my pennies religiously or
b.) win some money in lotto or powerball to purchase this lens.
I can't really comment on the DA55-300 as I have not seen enough real world images to make a judgement.

QuoteQuote:
Sorry for digressing and waffling on. Once again, a big heart felt congrats from the north side of the harbour!
No problems at all, Anne and thank you again for your kind words.

I hope to go to the zoo on Saturday to take photos with a few forum members, so if you're interested we would love for you to come along. The only priviso for me on Saturday is that I have torn a muscle in my leg playing Oz Tag last night and if it doesn't get better enough by then I may not be able to go, so that *may* mean that the zoo photo day is called off.