Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-08-2014, 05:43 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Are you new to Macro / or interested in Macro ?

I dont have that much to do ATM ( bored ) , so I was thinking about writing a guide to Macro Photography for beginners ..
Now I was thinking Beginners , to help shorten the learning curve for those entering the hobby . ( Macro )
Now there are going to be 100,000 different perspectives on any one thing as well as consideration for how financially involved some one wants to get !

Anyhow , before I start running off at the mouth :

I thought I would ask those just starting out , or those contemplating Macro photography .. What if any questions you have ?
Remember , there are no silly questions , just silly answers ..
So please feel free to mention what is keeping you from trying Macro photography ..

09-08-2014, 06:29 PM   #2
Veteran Member

The biggest thing for me was my own expectations. DOF is huge with flowers that move at all. Get the angle I want with a tripod almost impossible. So handheld at 1:1 and f2.8 and holding steady enough to maintain focus was almost impossible as well. I'd recommend touching on many of the caveats you find with macro photography so that newbies have realistic expectations of what equipment they need OR so that they understand what they can realistically expect with the equipment they have. Your photo above, for example, at F25 certainly required additional lighting...I'd touch on these things.

Regardless of how you do your write-up I'll look forward to learning from it.
09-08-2014, 07:15 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Some ideas-
Different techniques for the types of macro e.g.: bugs, flowers, copying art / product shots.
Focus technique.
Composition.
LIGHTING + flash - how?
Tripods + other equipment.
Working in the field.
Different focal lengths, 35,50,70,100,100++
Half macros (1:2) / when not to use 1:1
09-08-2014, 07:29 PM   #4
Forum Member

How do you get good compositions in macro photography?
I get that using DOF, you can blur out the rest, but somehow my positioning... the object is just too big in my frame usually.
That would be my question.

09-08-2014, 07:35 PM   #5
Pentaxian

More:
Macro on the cheap! Old lenses, macro filters, consumer 'macro' zooms, reversed 50s.
Extension tubes.
09-08-2014, 08:05 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hmmm , some interesting stuff , thank you ..

Yes , the guide would be geared towards those starting out , helping to make Macro as simple as possible .. ( IT can be as simple as one likes or as complicated or technical as one wants )
There are so many different ways of doing Macro , it would be difficult to cover them all ..
But this is a good start , keep em coming .
09-08-2014, 10:46 PM   #7
Pentaxian

What do the macro filter multipliers mean? Does a 5x filter mean focusing distance /5 or 5 x the size of the object in focus or what? I'm pretty sure it doesn't mean either of those things. No doubt there's some complex optical formula which explains the specs.

Thanks in advance.

09-09-2014, 01:14 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by officiousbystander Quote
What do the macro filter multipliers mean? Does a 5x filter mean focusing distance /5 or 5 x the size of the object in focus or what? I'm pretty sure it doesn't mean either of those things. No doubt there's some complex optical formula which explains the specs.

Thanks in advance.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Close-up_filter

1000 devided by Filter = X
Lens MM devided by x = Y ( magnification )

So lets try 90mm lens with a +4 filter

1000/4 = 250
90mm / 250 = 0.36x Magnification or just over 1/3rd , when thinking in terms of 1:1

So say on a 1:2 lens ( half of 1:1 ) , adding 1/3rd magnification brings it close to 1:1 , not quite but close ..
09-09-2014, 03:54 AM   #9

I've just started delving into that big world of tiny. Have been playing around with a reversal ring and just got a Raynox 150, with the purchase of a true macro lens not too far away.
One can find quite a lot of information about basic equipment, like extension tubes, close-up filters, lens coupling or reversal, and whatnot. But one thing that's hardly ever explained is what each piece will actually do.

What does a 30mm extension tube add to my lens? What's better for my 50mm lens in terms of magnification, a tube or filter? Or for a 200mm? I think one offers more magnification at higher focal lengths the other at lower ones, without too much use the other way around? Some example pictures for comparison could be really useful. Not just some beautiful macro shots but the brickwall equivalent for different pieces of equipment in different combinations?
Unless you go out and just buy a piece of each to see the results yourself, there's not much to go on for understanding their function.
09-09-2014, 04:28 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Actually

QuoteOriginally posted by Undot Quote
I've just started delving into that big world of tiny. Have been playing around with a reversal ring and just got a Raynox 150, with the purchase of a true macro lens not too far away.
One can find quite a lot of information about basic equipment, like extension tubes, close-up filters, lens coupling or reversal, and whatnot. But one thing that's hardly ever explained is what each piece will actually do.

What does a 30mm extension tube add to my lens? What's better for my 50mm lens in terms of magnification, a tube or filter? Or for a 200mm? I think one offers more magnification at higher focal lengths the other at lower ones, without too much use the other way around? Some example pictures for comparison could be really useful. Not just some beautiful macro shots but the brickwall equivalent for different pieces of equipment in different combinations?
Unless you go out and just buy a piece of each to see the results yourself, there's not much to go on for understanding their function.
Actually there is quite a bit of information out there , ( Sorry )
Just check out youtube , what ever you want to know , like Raynox 150 https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Raynox+150

This guide will be some what general , I have already started and I am on chapter 2 ... I will proof read chapter 1 tomorrow ..
I guess the problem is that there are quite a few things ( Shutter speed - ISO - F-stop ) that work together , and trying to explain them individually and then how they work together in such a way as to actually pass on information rather than confuse some one ... ( That can be hard , and thats what I will attempt )

The easiest thing is equipment , believe it or not ... Almost ( almost ) any camera + lens can be used for Macro , that is not the problem , Macro can be done on the cheap , I mean dirt cheap ! You dont need dedicated Macro anything .
Perhaps one needs more than one guide , a series of guides ... ( Too much maybe )
But the process has begun ...
Please let me know whats on your mind , this is going to take a while , and possibly quite a few re writes ...

Extension tubes : More information than I can shake a stick at :

09-09-2014, 04:56 AM   #11

I just purchased my first macro lens for K3 35mm f/2.8 HD macro. Don't really know much about this type of photography but willing to learn all I can. Thanks for all the excellent information.
09-09-2014, 04:57 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by old4570 Quote
I dont have that much to do ATM ( bored ) , so I was thinking about writing a guide to Macro Photography for beginners ..
Now I was thinking Beginners , to help shorten the learning curve for those entering the hobby . ( Macro )
Now there are going to be 100,000 different perspectives on any one thing as well as consideration for how financially involved some one wants to get !

Anyhow , before I start running off at the mouth :

I thought I would ask those just starting out , or those contemplating Macro photography .. What if any questions you have ?
Remember , there are no silly questions , just silly answers ..
So please feel free to mention what is keeping you from trying Macro photography ..

Great initiative.

I am a beginner but have jumped into the deep end without hesitation (not baby steps - too much time to lose). So a guide to better macro photography would be awesome.

As indicated I have jumped in deep, but still have a way to go. I have not spared a dollar in my investment, but must admit am growing frustrated with the returns. Things that frustrate me are lighting, camera setup and tripod usage. Ultimately the results I get make me question my gear, but surely I shouldn't (A*200 macro plus other lenses such and Bokina on K5 ....) but perhaps I should??? For example, the attached image taken on a tripod in controlled conditions took 20 shots to perfect. I should be able to do it in one shot .... sooooo the question I have is 'how do I test my gear to make sure my results are technique and not some other factor beyond my immediate control?'
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
09-09-2014, 05:13 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote
Great initiative.

I am a beginner but have jumped into the deep end without hesitation (not baby steps - too much time to lose). So a guide to better macro photography would be awesome.

As indicated I have jumped in deep, but still have a way to go. I have not spared a dollar in my investment, but must admit am growing frustrated with the returns. Things that frustrate me are lighting, camera setup and tripod usage. Ultimately the results I get make me question my gear, but surely I shouldn't (A*200 macro plus other lenses such and Bokina on K5 ....) but perhaps I should??? For example, the attached image taken on a tripod in controlled conditions took 20 shots to perfect. I should be able to do it in one shot .... sooooo the question I have is 'how do I test my gear to make sure my results are technique and not some other factor beyond my immediate control?'
And knowing how to post process efficiently and well is another thing I want to better understand. The second photo is posted simply to show how I am struggling with colours etc (upload always looks bland compared to what is on my screen).
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
09-09-2014, 05:20 AM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by old4570 Quote
Actually there is quite a bit of information out there , ( Sorry )
Just check out youtube , what ever you want to know , like Raynox 150 https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Raynox+150
Ah, thank you for those links. I never searched youtube, as I rather prefer text and pictures to go at my own pace.
I did stumble across this site, though, were one can calculate magnifications with various equipment:
Macro Extension Tubes & Close-up Lenses

But I'm not far enough into macro to wonder about the more technical procedures quite yet. By using a reverse ring on a lens without manual aperture there's not much I can do, except fixing it at one end. But I'm sure your guide will come in quite handy, once I get that far later on.
09-09-2014, 07:01 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Reverse lens ...
Ok here is a sticking point :
I will address this here and now :
You lose aperture when reversing a lens , a lot like using a M42 lens ...
I dont like M42 lenses , so that means I would most likely not like using a reversed lens , except perhaps for lens stacking ...
Lens stacking is where you reverse a lens in front of another lens ..
This way you still have aperture control , and the added magnification of a reversed lens ..

Back to using a reversed lens :

You have to open the aperture to get your focus , then close the aperture for the photo ( DOF ) , and all your settings need to be correct , as does the focus ...
This is laborious , slow , and probably only suitable for studio work , otherwise you have to pick a aperture setting and live with it ... ( limiting )

What would be better = Macro tubes ... With aperture levers .. Or even a Tele Macro Adapter ...
Anyhow , there is no wrong way , but I dare say a reversed lens is doing it a little harder , so a much greater learning curve .

---------- Post added 09-10-14 at 12:27 AM ----------

Great initiative.

F10 - 1/250 - ISO400

200mm Lens ?

Anyhow , looking at the image .. I would trade some shutter speed for a higher F-stop ...
Or I would back off some ( be further away ) , this will increase DOF ..
Since your using a K5 , you can crop the image some to get that closer look .
Software :

I have tried a few , and I keep coming back to PhotoScape .. I only use a few functions when PP , and PhotoScape covers those functions well .
If you want to photoshop , or maybe GIMP , they do require more dedicated learning ( mastering the software ) , and Im too lazy to photoshop or GIMP .
One day perhaps , I have used GIMP a few times , but it does not do a better job of PP for my needs , so I keep using PhotoScape .
Perhaps one day my needs may outgrow PhotoScape , till then .
I have an old photoshop somewhere , maybe I should play with it some more ? ( Thing is , I don't need such powerful software )

---------- Post added 09-10-14 at 12:30 AM ----------

And knowing how to post process efficiently and well is another thing I want to better understand. The second photo is posted simply to show how I am struggling with colours etc (upload always looks bland compared to what is on my screen).
What software are you using ? Chances are there will be several tutorials on youtube ...