Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2008, 07:35 AM   #1

what photo mag do people subscribe too???

I was interested in subscribing to one. But I want a good one that actually has good tips and things, not just a glorified advertisement for nikon and canon....

05-12-2008, 07:39 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
This isn't a subscription mag and you have to download a PDF but I find it most informative and the editor uses a K10D.
PhotographyBB Digital Photography Community - Photoshop Actions, Photoshop Tutorials, Photography Forums, and Photography Magazine

And it's free too.
05-12-2008, 08:14 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I don't subscribe to or buy any magazines, I find all the info I need right here and on the net

Pat
05-12-2008, 08:30 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Popular Photography and Imaging
Outdoor Photographer

On occasion I'll pick up PC Photo, but most of what I read is online.

05-12-2008, 09:52 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Popular Photography, but only because it's so cheap.
05-12-2008, 10:07 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Popular Photography, but only because it's so cheap.
The only reason I get it is because I got a free sub through ***************.
05-12-2008, 01:51 PM   #7
Inactive Account

I bought a 3 year subscription to 'Shutterbug' that expires in June 2009. Pentax does occasionally get mentioned there. They have some info on film photography in most issues, too. I doubt if I will renew it though.

05-12-2008, 02:47 PM   #8
roy
Inactive Account

Popular Photography and Imaging
Outdoor Photographer
if you look around you can get some sweet deals. like Outdoor for $7 for 3 years. i also get Rangefinder and After Capture.. both free and make Popular Photography and imaging
Outdoor Photographer pale in printed IQ.
of course i've got about 3 months worth i haven't looked at..
05-12-2008, 06:09 PM   #9
Veteran Member

The only magazine I subscribe to is Photo Life. It's Canadian, so I don't know how available it is in other countries. Not as loaded with adverts as other magazines I've seen. To me, it's more of an photography inspiration mag, than an educational one.
05-12-2008, 09:03 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lodi781 Quote
I was interested in subscribing to one. But I want a good one that actually has good tips and things, not just a glorified advertisement for nikon and canon....
I have two on line subscriptions. I got tired of throwing out 18 zillion pieces of advertising paper.
  • Popular Photography and Imaging
  • American Photo
I have two mail subscriptions, neither of which is available as an online download to my knowledge. The first gives great ideas for things to take pictures of and different ways to do that. The second is a really good mix of apparently honest reviews and how-to articles, both photo software and hardware. It is in French, however.
  • Outdoor Photographer
  • Chasseurs d'Images *
I have picked up copies of Amateur Photographer (UK) and assorted magazines on Photoshop. The Photoshop mags all seem about how to take any old image and turn it into a great one. I prefer to do it in camera.
05-12-2008, 09:29 PM   #11
WJW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Black and White Photography (UK). Although I just let me subscription lapse due to the exchange rate. I'll just pick up the occasional issue at B&N, along with the occasional Outdoor Photography (UK), Camera Arts and View Camera.
05-12-2008, 11:21 PM   #12
Inactive Account

I only get mags if I've got a bit of spare cash, need something to read over a café lunch and only if it's under eight bucks. We get a lot of imported mags, sadly, but while I'm sure they're reasonably priced for their home market, they're not once you ship 'em a couple thousand miles.

Also, any Brits here want to tell me why every single British photography, computing, curling, spoon-whittling or similar magazine consists of the first third of pages with articles, and the remaining two-thirds of edge-to-edge ads? That really gets me.
05-13-2008, 02:39 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Popular Photography and Imaging Digital edition as it is VERY cheap...
05-13-2008, 03:23 AM   #14
Veteran Member

JPG magazine for the extensive photo only coverage.
Can't stand magazines that have pages upon pages of print ads.
05-13-2008, 03:45 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
Also, any Brits here want to tell me why every single British photography, computing, curling, spoon-whittling or similar magazine consists of the first third of pages with articles, and the remaining two-thirds of edge-to-edge ads? That really gets me.
I have not noticed this with photography magazines, several of which are available to browse here in Ireland. In fact the quality of the British mags above that of those from USA is noticeable. And there are so many different British photo magazines it's quite astounding.