Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-15-2014, 12:32 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How to create this sunset photography

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h2ynaz0xo1cjegl/IMG_268428047735466.jpeg?dl=0

This is a sunset photo from a Mauritian photographer called Paul Choy. Could anyone tell me how this photo was done...thanks in advance

Last edited by Neel1; 09-15-2014 at 12:47 AM.
09-15-2014, 12:34 AM - 1 Like   #2

cant see any photo
09-15-2014, 12:45 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
https://www.dropbox.com/s/h2ynaz0xo1cjegl/IMG_268428047735466.jpeg?dl=0
09-15-2014, 02:50 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Fast shutter speed and underexposed on rocks in foreground. If I put on my Sherlock Holmes hat, I think that the sky exposure was decreased in post and colour or saturation added to the sky. You can see some of the yellow colouring on the rocks reflected nearest to you and that was probably added as well. The refections on the further rocks and on the sea is blue and not the yellow which it should have been if there was no PP. I do not think a GND filter was used, since the transition is too sharp between blue see and yellow sky. Just my thought and looking forward to other opinions.

Obviously a Pentax will help with WR

09-15-2014, 02:57 AM   #5

it definitely looks like a lot of sharpening and clarity has been applied while developing and perhaps also some exposure adjustments in post, to give that vintage look.
as for the shot, he must have used something in the range of f/22 with a long lens unless this is a very tight crop. personally, while it looks rather nice I dont like the composition too much. the frame is too tight and it gives me a headache to find a spot my eyes can rest on.
09-15-2014, 10:33 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Basie Quote
Fast shutter speed and underexposed on rocks in foreground. If I put on my Sherlock Holmes hat, I think that the sky exposure was decreased in post and colour or saturation added to the sky. You can see some of the yellow colouring on the rocks reflected nearest to you and that was probably added as well. The refections on the further rocks and on the sea is blue and not the yellow which it should have been if there was no PP. I do not think a GND filter was used, since the transition is too sharp between blue see and yellow sky. Just my thought and looking forward to other opinions.
I was thinking a gold reflector panel set up to lighten up the closest, darkest rocks rather than post-processing. Seems like if he'd done post, he would have just reduced shadows, which wouldn't have lit them gold. Agree on the rest, I think.