Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2008, 07:54 AM   #1
Veteran Member

tricky wedding situation...how would you handle this?

I'm shooting a friends wedding in October. (she knows what to expect, yadda yadda yadda, won't be my first wedding)

Anyway, I'm going to the location sometime in the next couple of weeks to scout the location. Checking out the website, they have a link for facilities rental which has some images of where the reception will be held.

My original plan was to set up an off camera strobe somewhere as well as using an on camera pttl flash for bouncing. Looking at the pictures on the website, the ceiling is angled and may not be great for bouncing.

Has anyone encountered anything like this? How would you handle it?

05-13-2008, 08:42 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I don't see much problem with an angle roof as long as you take a few test shots to figure the angle of bouncing. Personally, I would think it's a great bouncing surface since you still have a big enough surface to diffuse the flash. However, if the ceilling is too high, you can always bounce the flash off the wall and fix the color cast later.
05-13-2008, 09:14 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thanks! I'm not too concerned with the dance floor part, because the ceiling should be ok for bouncing. I'm more worried about the glass part. I'll have to drag along a model when I check the place out.
05-13-2008, 09:34 AM   #4
Veteran Member

LOL, my bad, I didn't even notice the glass part. The Green House is definitely troublesome since it's only usable on one side. Personally, I would ask a friend to help you carrying an umbrella/reflector for shot that you can't bounce off the roof. He just needs to move with you. It's more flexible than a fixed setup (i.e. light stand), IMO. Either way, it's definitely good to check the place out ahead of time. Good luck and enjoy the shoot.

05-13-2008, 09:35 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would just stick the pentax diffuser that comes with the afz 540 on and tilt it at a 45* angle and diffuse the light that way, perhaps use a slower shutter speed it wont really make the photos blurred as the flash is so bright so fast it doesnt make much difference it just allows a bit more ambient light which should make the photos!

It'll give some nice eye catch lights too!
05-13-2008, 10:00 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aegisphan Quote
LOL, my bad, I didn't even notice the glass part. The Green House is definitely troublesome since it's only usable on one side. Personally, I would ask a friend to help you carrying an umbrella/reflector for shot that you can't bounce off the roof. He just needs to move with you. It's more flexible than a fixed setup (i.e. light stand), IMO. Either way, it's definitely good to check the place out ahead of time. Good luck and enjoy the shoot.
I considered an assistant and a reflector. I'll have to check with the Bride on this one. I don't really want to stand out that much. I'd rather be in the background as unnoticeable as possible. we'll see. hmmmm.....maybe my assistant can just have a nice, clean white shirt on! Bounce off of that!

QuoteOriginally posted by dopeytree Quote
I would just stick the pentax diffuser that comes with the afz 540 on and tilt it at a 45* angle and diffuse the light that way, perhaps use a slower shutter speed it wont really make the photos blurred as the flash is so bright so fast it doesnt make much difference it just allows a bit more ambient light which should make the photos!

It'll give some nice eye catch lights too!
I've got sigma flash, I was going to pick up a sto-fen omnibounce for it. Is the pentax diffuser similar to that?
05-13-2008, 10:40 AM   #7
Veteran Member

That location looks GREAT!!

those balls on the ceiling are lanterns i think. they are going to look really awesome in some bokeh

im not sure, but i think the dj will probably be set up by the glass at the dance floor. if you have a lightstand, stick your off camera flash over there next to the dj and aim it into the center of the dance floor set to a wide angle.

i shoot with bare and direct off camera flash all the time, and i love it. for off camera lighting, you dont really need to diffuse it (IMO) because the shadows arent going to be harshly outlining everything. instead, they are going to be falling off to the side and where you can see them, they will be providing contour and depth.
IMO the reflector/assistant/offcamera flash would be combersome.

here is an example of my off camera flash. this is pretty much uneditted and its far from perfect..... it is just so that you get the point.

i see some terrible image compression/artifacting on this version...dont worry about that. also, i noticed that the thumbnail isnt coming up every time. if you dont see it, just hit F5 (refresh your page)

in all, that looks like an awesome venue. if you have off camera flash going, you will have some really nice pics provided you know how to shoot....

have fun
dont forget to eat when the time is right!

05-13-2008, 11:26 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thanks,

That's the setup I was going to use.

That picture is great! That little kid looks like he's having a blast!
05-15-2008, 07:04 PM   #9
Veteran Member

cool

dont forget to post some shots later! 8)