Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-24-2014, 06:58 AM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Miksang... Never Heard of It (Till Today)

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Was poking around the Web and happened onto a Photographer's web site talking about the miksang technique of photography. Never heard of it, Googled it, I don't do much of it but I think I may look out for the opportunity to take those type of shots. After looking at examples online and comparing some past pics in my LR4 files I guess I have a few. Here's one from the vault.

Here's the first step to learning about it.

Miksang Contemplative Photography | True Perception True Expression
Nalanda Miksang International

Attached Images

Last edited by OrangeKx; 09-24-2014 at 07:18 AM. Reason: Added Picture
09-24-2014, 08:27 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice!
I've been practicing this way of "seeing" new photos for a few years now. It has really improved my sense of composition and patience. I first read a book about it, then found out there are lots of Miksang classes in my city.

My favorite part is that the images are really different from what I typically shoot!
09-24-2014, 08:34 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by OrangeKx Quote
Was poking around the Web and happened onto a Photographer's web site talking about the miksang technique of photography. Never heard of it, Googled it, I don't do much of it but I think I may look out for the opportunity to take those type of shots. After looking at examples online and comparing some past pics in my LR4 files I guess I have a few. Here's one from the vault.

Here's the first step to learning about it.

Miksang Contemplative Photography | True Perception True Expression
Nalanda Miksang International
Me too. Never heard of it before either. After looking at samples, I realized that I may have been a closet Miksangian and I did not even know it!!!
09-24-2014, 08:47 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It must include primary colors ?

09-24-2014, 08:50 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Think I'll stick to birds and Lomography...
09-24-2014, 08:55 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Mildly confused as to the actual distinction of this style. The two links do not provide much information for me.

"Miksang is photography in which we use the camera to express our visual perceptions exactly as we experience them. Because we know how to prepare ourselves to receive perceptions when we see them, and we know how to understand exactly what we have seen, we then know exactly how to express what we have seen with our camera. The resulting image is an exact expression of our eye, mind, and heart as it connects with the perception."

Erm? Can anyone please give me a better explanation of Miksang, and what differentiates it from other photography?
09-24-2014, 09:03 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Erm? Can anyone please give me a better explanation of Miksang, and what differentiates it from other photography?
I think that would be like explaining how Feng shui is different than interior decorating.

09-24-2014, 09:30 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I think that would be like explaining how Feng shui is different than interior decorating.
Right, but Feng Shui (or at least my understanding) does have some basis in Chinese superstition/beliefs. While those superstitions/beliefs may not be very useful, they do give a foundation. For example, following Qi flows - a Feng Shui designer may claim that the room's Qi flow is a certain direction because of a nearby river, or road, or magnetic fields, or whatever. It may be silly, but it gives a point of reference to understanding the reason for Feng Shui.

In this case, I'm reading through the sites and I don't see anything that differentiates Miksang from general artistic photography. I was hoping to see a description that provides the guidelines for how to achieve Miksang photography. For example, something like a rule of thirds or the zone system can be explained.
09-24-2014, 09:45 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

If I run around like a moron and just randomly hit the shutter button, people will tell me I'm just a moron. If I make up a swanky name for a "style" and do exactly the same thing, people will hail me as an artistic genius. It's all in how you market what you do. (I am not trying to imply the Miksang folks are morons, just addressing the idea that the art world doesn't know the difference between stupidity and style). If I make up an obtuse description, all the better.
09-24-2014, 09:55 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I practice Kozloksing photography. See above for an explanation.
09-24-2014, 10:12 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

In this case, I'm reading through the sites and I don't see anything that differentiates Miksang from general artistic photography. I was hoping to see a description that provides the guidelines for how to achieve Miksang photography. For example, something like a rule of thirds or the zone system can be explained.
The images produced by Miksang principles are secondary to the mental process of the photographer. That's why it isn't "art" or "street" or "illustrative" photography, or any other convenient pigeonhole. The whole point is to use a camera to focus your mind on seeing things outside of their context (but words fail here, it doesn't mean "abstract" or yet another label), and to look at the photos to remind you of what you were focused on.

Sharing the images, or explaining them, is not required or even expected. In fact, I spent a week shooting Miksang images as my primary goal, but I'd intentionally removed the SD card so I wouldn't be tempted to chimp and re-take an image I thought I'd "missed" after the 3 second review period was over. (That's not typical, but it got me away from thinking I was "capturing" something, and more intent on "seeing" things.)

Do you ever see a glimpse of something and think "there's a photo" and then it's gone? Maybe you shot it, maybe you didn't have a camera. Miksang tries to teach you to slow down and really look for those moments, but not look for any particular image. It really is not too different from what practiced photographers do all the time, anyhow. The images can have lots of different "styles" (and colors, etc.), but typically they are uncluttered and simple, but still have meaning. Taking the photo should have relaxed you somewhat, and when you get the images on your screen, you will hopefully react in a similar way. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't. Anyhow, you just need to try it yourself, since otherwise it's like asking someone "how do you meditate?" and expecting a diagram.

Here's another one:

See? That one reminds me what an awesome sensor the K-5 has in it!

Last edited by panoguy; 09-24-2014 at 10:40 AM.
09-24-2014, 10:32 AM   #12

I'm getting a headache.
09-24-2014, 10:32 AM   #13
Veteran Member

So technically it's not a photo style, but it is a photographic mindset?

QuoteQuote:
Miksang tries to teach you to slow down and really look for those moments, but not look for any particular photo. It really is not too different from what practiced photographers do all the time, anyhow.
Right, so it's basically similar to people saying they are in the zone, or photographic zen, etc?
09-24-2014, 11:02 AM   #14
Pentaxian

So technically it's not a photo style, but it is a photographic mindset?
Well, technically, it only uses photography as a tool to get to a mindset, but it's one you can pick up and put a lens on! The reason there are galleries with lots of graphic images is because that attracts people who want something tangible to connect to, and to see that they are "doing it right."

Right, so it's basically similar to people saying they are in the zone, or photographic zen, etc?
Yep. The whole formalization of calling it "Miksang" is an attempt to explain what you just summarized, but for non-photographers or non-zen-people, particularly within the framework of Tibetan Buddhism. I'm not a Buddhist, nor do I love the overly flowery language used to "explain" Miksang, but I've been in-the-zone with other endeavors before (man, I used to get so in the zone at work, retouching advertising images, that I had to be reminded to eat lunch!) and I love it.

I'm guessing that the "Miksang photos" that I posted above look boring, or pointless, or "not following photographic compositional rules" to many people, and I'm almost certain they won't be picked up and made into posters, or win a pultizer, or whatnot. For me, that's fine! I don't shoot them to post on Flickr looking for pats on the back, or expect that someone will say "oh, what great SEEING you've done there. Very Miksang!" (Seriously, I've seen that comment on a Miksang Flickr group.) I like them, and some are hanging in my house, and my family doesn't seem fazed by them, so it's all good.

Really, the book about it is quite good. Some obtuse language, but still approachable and appreciable. Totally helps with anxiety and casual photography skills, too!

Last edited by panoguy; 09-24-2014 at 11:17 AM.
09-24-2014, 11:13 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

At the very least this thread has given me a new word to yell at the ball park.
QuoteQuote:
What is Miksang?

Miksang is a Tibetan word that translates as "good eye."