Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2014, 07:56 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Perspective: An example on focal length, subject distances and perspective correction

I`ve read a lot of doubts, discussions and theories about prespective, focal length and subject distance on the forum so, while browsing through these pictures, I thought this 2 made a good example on this matter.

This was shot with DA15 from about 200m away form the shelter. It is an uncropped 2x3 format 16Mp photo.

And this is what a 2x3 format crop of the upper part looks like. I dare say I`d get the same result shooting from the same position using the DA40 for example. I wish I had taken such shot so there were no doubts.

Now, what happens if I try to replicate that composition from just 3 meters away from the shelter. Same lens, DA15. Where did the huge rock behind the shelter went, right?

Finally, I`ll try some perspective correction in Lightroom. I think this version brings out some "realism" between background and foreground.

I didn`t crop on purpose so those unfamiliar with the tool can see how the frame gets shrinked and stretched while fiddling with the sliders. Here`s a cropped version ("constrain to crop" option enabled)

Some random thoughts on this:
  • Getting closer to the subject (or foreground) makes it harder to compare size of near and far elements (specially relevant for mountains, landscapes) but tilting and getting higher or lower has a great imact too. Perhaps even stronger than sheer distance.
  • Should have left more leeway arround the edges so that perspective correction wouldn`t "eat" some parts of the shelter, or the roof get so close to the edge of the frame.
  • Wide angles are really tricky.

I hope someone finds it useful or fun at least. Feel free to comment, critic or show other examples.

Last edited by carrrlangas; 09-26-2014 at 09:05 AM.
09-26-2014, 08:16 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
just a quick comment, it will be easier to follow your thought, if the image is smaller... (or if my screen is larger) it can't fit into my 24in monitor and thus hard to visualize.

09-26-2014, 08:24 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
just a quick comment, it will be easier to follow your thought, if the image is smaller... (or if my screen is larger) it can't fit into my 24in monitor and thus hard to visualize.
I guess you refer to the first picture, portrair oriented one. I could link a smaller version but first, are you using your navigator at 100% zoom? Control + mouse scroll wheel is a shortcut to adjust it. I have a 23" monitor and I can see it almost full by a hair and completely full if I go fullscreen (F11 shortcut)
09-26-2014, 08:56 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by carrrlangas Quote
I guess you refer to the first picture, portrair oriented one. I could link a smaller version but first, are you using your navigator at 100% zoom? Control + mouse scroll wheel is a shortcut to adjust it. I have a 23" monitor and I can see it almost full by a hair and completely full if I go fullscreen (F11 shortcut)
yeah, but then the text are too small I can't read it. no worries, I am too picky. :P

09-26-2014, 09:02 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
yeah, but then the text are too small I can't read it. no worries, I am too picky. :P
Haha, no problem, just for you, a smaller version along the original one.