Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2008, 02:40 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Just a wink. The kind that comes with a smile that says " There you go mate!"

I'm wondering just how to pay for one!

05-31-2008, 09:10 AM   #17
Forum Member

i wonder how that lightning trigger works?
getting a good lightning photo is definately in my list of things-to-do this summer
05-31-2008, 09:49 AM   #18
Veteran Member

bump.

8)

im waiting for some lightning shots to show up here.
05-31-2008, 02:28 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Boggs Quote
It sounds like you are skeptical ... ... Timing a shutter to a lightning bolt is not theory! I've done it and the folks at Lightning Trigger do it professionally. Check their website, it's quite informative! And no I'm not affiliated with them in any way. I paid them to build me a unit nearly 10 years ago...
Oh, I know there are cameras out there that do it, and bolts with multiple strikes lats relative long times... I did not find any timing charts for mirror up/shutter lag. I guess if they have that figured into the mix, I will have to check out their diagrams and try to build one.
I always assumed that was done with special equipment or other maker's cameras that allow you to truly lock up the mirror. Thanks. Pretty cool.

Myself, I've been doing it the old fashioned way... sitting at the window for hours with the shutter release cable clicking away every 15-30 seconds. Ugh!! A automated method would be nice.

And unfortunately Pentax's Remote Assist software is total garbage!!
Just try to take successive shots without crashing the program, the computer and even the camera!! OK, RA is good for individual shots that you want dumped to the computer, but just don't have the false hopes that their schedule/timer portion has even gone through a minute of quality assurance testing.

06-07-2008, 06:16 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MJB DIGITAL Quote
bump.

8)

im waiting for some lightning shots to show up here.
Here you go. Some nasty storms went through mid-atlantic states last wednesday.
13 second exposure, was lucky and got two for one.
I might have to look into lightning triggers, maybe make my own.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 12-29-2013 at 10:30 AM.
06-07-2008, 05:28 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Honestly, why would you need a lightning trigger if you you can get such a great picture with a long exposure? Just place your camera at a good location and hope for the best. A trigger won't lure the lightning, and you won't get any better shots than that!
Great picture mate!
06-07-2008, 05:36 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Stardust, sometimes you want to capture lightning when there's too much other light around to use long exposures (daytime, over big urban cores at night, etc.) and that's a good reason to use a trigger, IMO.

Geekybiker, you might want to check out the July 2008 edition of Shutterbug magazine, p. 72-75, for an article titled "Lightning Strikes" on the lightning photography of Tom Willett and Jeff Smith. Also, here's their website: Lightningsmiths Lightning Photographers in Tucson Arizona specializing in Stock Photography of Lightning, Tornadoes and Severe Weather Photographs and Photography For commerical Publication.

06-07-2008, 08:20 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Just come down to Florida your bound to get a few shots since we are number one in Lightning Strikes.
06-08-2008, 07:18 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks StarDust.
Right about hoping for the best.
Shooting constant long exposures is rough on batteries, lithiums or not.
And plugging in a power supply might not be a very smart thing to do.
So conserving batteries would probably be my main reason for getting
a some sort of a trigger device.

Cheers.
Mike.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 12-29-2013 at 10:30 AM.
06-08-2008, 07:59 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Here you go. Some nasty storms went through mid-atlantic states last wednesday.
13 second exposure, was lucky and got two for one.
I might have to look into lightning triggers, maybe make my own.

Wow! That one is just spectacular.
06-09-2008, 01:01 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Got back from my trip. I did okay with the lightning.

More storm images etc on my flickr
Storm Chasing - a set on Flickr
06-09-2008, 08:43 PM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Geekybiker Quote
Got back from my trip. I did okay with the lightning.
Very nice... I made an attempt to capture some from our light show that passed over this evening, and much to my amazement I got a couple... Old tripod, 30 sec at ISO 200 sitting by the patio door.

Jim

Last edited by RoxnDox; 07-25-2008 at 11:53 AM.
06-10-2008, 01:09 PM   #28
Syb
Veteran Member

Last week, around here.

Each about ten - fifteen seconds, F2.8 (Iso 100) on a 35mm lens. I was firing away for about fifteen minutes using a IR remote and a tripod, hoping for more lightning while the shutter was open, then it took for the camera to save the pics. Once the start popping up in your camera preview, one really gets greedy... More! More! More!

You may find the pics to lack some coating. You are right, they were taken through the window glass. It was raining too hard to put my camera outside.
Attached Images

06-23-2008, 04:21 PM   #29

Those are some great shots, even through glass. I was out in Nebraska a few days ago, and made my first attempt to capture some lightning with no luck. I sat the camera up using like F-22 so I could get the shutter as long as possible. I got a couple lightning bolts in the frame, but they did not show up in the camera. Next time I'll try at about F-8 and see what happens, depending on the available light outside. I was also using ISO 100.

Last edited by Hick; 06-23-2008 at 05:15 PM.
06-24-2008, 07:03 PM   #30
Forum Member

We had a wicked lightning storm roll through here a few weeks ago. I ran outside and just stood there (dummy) and, in green mode, just started clicking away hand held. Out of a hundred or so shots, I only got a few worth keeping. Hail started shortly after and I took off inside. Ended up being one nasty storm. Lots of wind that tore up large trees and a few 'nados. Exciting!!!

Posted a few lightning shots on my flickr page.